Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2008, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,784 times

Advertisements

I'm aware of the harsh winters and the huge change from Dallas winters, but I wanted some information on getting children acclimated (5 years old) and how the school systems operate when temperatures are below 0 degrees? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
>>school systems operate when temperatures are below 0 degrees?

we bundle up.

joking aside.... i have to admit the winters from when i was a kid, to when my kids were kids ... the winters are not as bad as they once were.

I do recall one year when my oldest was in grammar school, it was COLD ... if it get really bad, say -20F or so... they will literally close the schools.... usually because the buses wont start ... that same week, with wind chills in the -40F range of so... the pipes burst in the school, flooding it... so they got a week off. That was in Jan mid-late 90's.

after that... i do not recall our schools ever closing due to the cold. Snow either.... this past winter - we did get a lot of snow, [nothing like Madison, Wisc and that area] but more than we have in a long time.... but no school closings here [in my area]

though every school district is different.

one thing all kids love though... i playing in the snow, probably something you dont get to do too often in Dallas.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,280 times
The schools here rarely close and most people still walk and use public transportation to get around in the winter months. If you live in the Northern Suburbs closer to the lake, you'll get much more snow because of the lake effect.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:12 PM

42 posts, read 145,283 times
I think the kids would have fun with the snow. Warm clothes and a sled, and they'll be fine. On a snow day (school is usually closed due to heavy snowfall, not due to the cold), they'll announce school closings on TV, the radio, and often the school will have an automated phone system or calling tree to call your house number and leave a message.

Last winter was pretty cold and snowy, so maybe we're due for a mild one this time?

I lived near Dallas for awhile (Greenville), and I remember the winters were sometimes quite chilling there, due to the wetness. And if it ever snows in the south, it's usually a slippery mess that is difficult to drive in. That happens here too with the first and last snowfalls of the season, but in the middle of winter it's a drier snow that is easier to drive on (and everybody is used to it by then). I'd rather drive on snow in below zero temps than in the 30's any day.

P.S. - we have 3 types of skiing - water skiing, downhill (what you call "snow skiing") and cross-country. A soft drink is not coke, it's either soda or pop, most people lean towards pop but it's not universal by any means. Yankees are in some stories about the American Revolution, modern-day Yankees are a baseball team out east. That's it. Luckily your kids are young enough they shouldn't get teased about their accent (I realize Dallas has a variety of accents, some stronger than others).

Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
School systems operate regardless of temperatures above or below zero. I only wear a jacket below 32.... You'll be fine. Welcome.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:13 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Snowstorms affect the school systems much more than temperature. I'm not sure I ever remember a school closing due to temperature, and I grew up about 100 miles north of Chicago

Old 09-07-2008, 05:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,784 times
Thank you all so very much for the information you've given me...I have filed it all. Have a great week!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
our school district only cancels school if the wind chills are -40. It is usually snow that causes our closings.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:36 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydensmommy View Post
I'm aware of the harsh winters and the huge change from Dallas winters, but I wanted some information on getting children acclimated (5 years old) and how the school systems operate when temperatures are below 0 degrees? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
I grew up on the city's south side, and while yes we still did get lousy weather, our winters were no where near as harsh as what folks out in Schaumburg and Fox Lake areas would experience, so keep that in mind that at least as far as snow storms go, a hundred miles can make a huge difference in amount of snow you will get over a winter. From the far northern burbs to the far southern burbs, temps during Nov-April can vary some 5-20 degrees and many days I will leave my house on the south side with almost no snow on the ground (maybe an inch) and get up around Elgin to find nearly a foot of snow on the ground. This also works during summer months too, where the northern burbs will rarely hit 90 degrees as well as right up against the lake, areas around Joliet get over 90 numerous times during the summer months, and this summer was no exception. I think Tom Skilling said, O'Hare only got about 6 90 degree days this year, while Midway got over 10, and Joliet got about 15, so, where you choose to locate here will make a big difference here weather wise.

Now enough on that, as for schools closing??? They dont! Period. Unless a pipe bursts in the school and floods it which happened in my h/s when I went there, they dont. If the busses will start there will be school. Best advice, teach your kids how to dress in layers. Thats all you need to do here. That and get yourself a heavy front wheel drive car, suv, or 4X4 truck that will be good on snow and ice.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:05 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Hi Jaydensmommy,
Welcome. The flip side of Chicago winter is Chicago Summer. Extremely enjoyable and very few days where it's too hot to be outside all day compared with Dallas Summer. I think you may enjoy all the trees and lushness around here also. And if you choose the right area, the ability to walk and bicycle your entire neighborhood or town. So we use visions of wonderful summers to help us through winters that seemingly last 1-2 months too long. Last few winters, in Arlington Heights, we have had 1-2 snow days. Some warranted, some not. It's not always easy for the Superintendent to make the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs