Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times

Advertisements

Try this link. http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/cgi-bin/itin.pl (broken link). I just picked a random property off the realtor.com website to give me a starting address in Western Springs. It looks like it would take about an hour plus time getting to the train station in WS and to your final destination from the CTA station. Be aware that heavy rain or snow can easily double your commuting time. I think you might want to consider driving if at all possible, it's only about 10 miles and would take you approx 1/2 the time mass transit does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:29 AM

33 posts, read 86,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Try this link. http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/cgi-bin/itin.pl (broken link). I just picked a random property off the realtor.com website to give me a starting address in Western Springs. It looks like it would take about an hour plus time getting to the train station in WS and to your final destination from the CTA station. Be aware that heavy rain or snow can easily double your commuting time. I think you might want to consider driving if at all possible, it's only about 10 miles and would take you approx 1/2 the time mass transit does.
Thats perfect...thank you

Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Me, my wife and 2 young children.
Looking for good schools ( youngest is 4 years old with Downs Syndrome) so Special Needs important.
Rental price is not an issue.
Blitzen, have you researched schools for your 4 year old? I would start with the western suburbs discussed here, from Western Springs west to Naperville. See which school district or special ed district provides best for her. If you're not comfortable with these districts, I would then look southwest to see if any of those school districts are a better fit. Heck, if it's me, I move North or Northwest if that's the only place I find the right fit for my kid's education. If need be, I would sacrifice commute time for a better quality of education for my children. Start looking on-line and then make some calls to the school districts. Perhaps a top-notch realtor can help you with this as well.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 PM

33 posts, read 86,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Blitzen, have you researched schools for your 4 year old? I would start with the western suburbs discussed here, from Western Springs west to Naperville. See which school district or special ed district provides best for her. If you're not comfortable with these districts, I would then look southwest to see if any of those school districts are a better fit. Heck, if it's me, I move North or Northwest if that's the only place I find the right fit for my kid's education. If need be, I would sacrifice commute time for a better quality of education for my children. Start looking on-line and then make some calls to the school districts. Perhaps a top-notch realtor can help you with this as well.
Thanks for the advice...im on it

I totally agree. If its for the best for my little girl, then an extra bit of travel is a small price to pay.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 AM

8 posts, read 26,866 times
Default There are nice South Suburbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
You must choose the north side! If anything, choose the Naperville area towards the west but i think you would be very happy in the north burbs to northwest burbs, with naperville being the exception. of course if you are concerned about commute time, then you can consider some select few southern suburbs like Frankfort, IL. but most of the surburbs in the south aren't too family orientated (safe). I am going to stick with the Naperville area, though, as your best bet. Good Luck!

There are plenty of very nice areas in the South Suburbs. I'd pick Frankfort, Orland Park, Tinely Park, Mokena, New Lenox, or Homer Glen. The Palos towns are also nice. You just want to be in the Orland school districts (Andrew HS, Sandburg HS) or the Lincoln-Way school district.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM

7 posts, read 18,092 times
Default Be Prepared

This message is to the person who stated they are moving from the U.K. to Chicago. Here goes... I was born and raised in Chicago 40 years ago and Chicago is a Wonderful place to visit and experience is the best teacher. I was raised in the neighborhoods of Beverly hills, Pill Hill, South Holland/Calumet City from 1979 to 1990 as well as exposed to the Northshore and lived in the Sheridan Road Edgewater area. I now live in the U.K. in N.W. London and Europe is nothing like the USA. The USA with it's racism and division and Chicago is the most racist and segregated City in America and Mayor Daley Sr purposely divided the city for political/ethnic control. America was founded on racism and violence and that is why so many Blacks have left historically as well as white (The famous Lindenbergh Family) Living in the USA and Europe are two different worlds, however; Chicago is a very clean city and is beautiful. There are people from all sides of Chicago and surrounding suburbs who have never visited The North, South, East or Westside of Chicago as well as the suburbs. The USA is racist and Chicago takes center stage. If you are a from Europe you will find the violence in the USA mind blowing.Although Europe has a caste system of tradition, it still is nothing like the USA. Yes you can get a big house in the USA, A Big Car, etc but usually it is the Nuveaux Riche and I wouldn't change that for the history and culture of Europe. One thing about Chicago is the history. It was founded by Jean Baptist DuSubale, a Black Man and there isn't a street name after him and the main Street were he lived and traded is The beginning of North Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive ( and the City could put a honory name under the North Michigan Avenue sign. DuSuable made friends with, traded with and married a Potowami Native American.The Potowami Nation named Chicago "Wild Onion." Every Major Street in Chicago is name after a Polish Person or Irish Person (although Chicago is considered the largest place of immigrants from Poland,other than Poland). Throughout my experience in Chicago as a child, teenager and young adult; I had nothing but bad experiences. One thing is for sure, those of us who left Chicago do well in other places in and out of the USA. And when you meet someone from Chicago somewhere else in the world there is a kinship/brotherhood about "Chi-town." And don't be mistaken, alot of the successful people in Chicago now and then either brown nosed, pulled their family coattails and kissed A$#. There are 2 areas that are semi suburbs of Chicago which are melting pots of cultures and they are Oak Park and Evanston. The taxes are now the highest in the nation in Chicago and in the year 1996 to recent the City of Chicago Daley Sr and the Governor of Illinois (Mr. B) were trying to pass a Redline Property Bill for 10 minority zip codes called HB4050 because these ares are being revitalized, especially zip code 60621 which id really mid-city(not to far south, not to far north). The Black history in Chicago strecthes from New Orleans/up the Mississppi River to Chicago with Blues and Jazz and yes, the Southside(historically) was the wealthiest part of Chicago. One thing is for sure, Chicago prepares you for the world and if you can make it there..you can make it anywhere. And yes, I am a Black Male/Expatriate and if you think I am lying just live there and the USA.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 PM

7 posts, read 18,092 times
Default Don't Reply #2

I noticed some typo's but my message is still the same. Speaking of exposure, my parents' were married and exposed my siblings and myself to parks, museums, etc in Chicago and were young Black professionals who experienced racism in Chicago but continued to strive. They never talked about it, but it was obvious. As a matter of fact, we young blessed black children of the Black Baby-boomers that were exposed Blacks in Chicago (everyday citizens) experienced it the most and it was a rude awakening for me. In other words a threat. We shopped on North Michigan Avenue as children and teenagers, especially in the 1980's. Remember we were babies after the riots and civil rights era and racism in Chicago always caught us off guard. Therefore, our parents' were either married or divorced and we knew our parents' and were not born "Bastards."I attended both private and public schools in Chicago and my sister in 1979 attended Rosary College in River Forest, Illinois(which was rare for a young 17 year old Black girl). As I stated think it over and visit. I have visited all sides of towns in Chicago and surrounding suburbs from Crete/Monee to Highland Park, from Barrington Hills to Waukegan and it's the same. The City is Racist and most of my young adult friends have never been given a fair opportunity in Chicago. The South side of Chicago is never invested in like the North side and as a matter of fact, I can really say that when the Late Mayor Harold Washington was mayor, the city appeared to start unifying in all races. If you want diversity and culture (if you decided to live in Chicago), Oak Park, Evanston and Hyde Park, Bronzeville are wonderful areas to live in and you are in the city in matter of minutes. If you want the south side, Beverly Hills is a wonderful community. Remember the taxes are the highest in the nation and it is racist. I'm speaking from experience and I have lived in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C. Baltimore, MD, Houston and Dallas, TX, Seattle, Washington, New Orleans, La, (Racist, Phoenix, Arizona) Detriot, MI and (without being in the military as well as owned homes in most of the cities and abided by all the laws of the USA). I try to attract the right karma but Chicago will always be Chicago (Don't get it twisted). As a matter of fact, America will always be America. Please visit the USA, remember health care isn't free and the diversity of people isn't like in Europe. Several of our Black celebrites/writers, poets (historically) have always left the USA for it's racism. And yes, Black America sets the trends for the world. I didn't realize how Chicago and the USA belittles we Black Americans, but if all Blacks Americans left the USA,the USA wouldn't know what to do (as our Black American forefathers built America on free slave labor and gives a few of us a little bit). Don't get me wrong, there are some good USA citizens but the vast majority never travel and are closed minded which breeds ignorance and prejudice. Besides you are coming over with HRH Royal pounds..you should rack up. Let me mention one more thing, Chicago has produced the wealthiest Blacks in the nation...Long before Oprah and Michael Jordan (remember they are not from Chicago). We Blacks in Chicago have always dressed and will not tolerate White racist Chicagoans Bullsh#$. Remember Chicago was Phil Donahue town and Reggie Theis town before Oprah and Michael and yes, they learned how to Dress and act like Classy Black Chicagoans when they came on the seen from A.M Chicago and the Chicago Bulls. Please visit and take a hiatus. Much luck to you and look on the internet and talk to people if you think I'm lying...do your research. Remember you can buy everything else but experience.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Don't,
Very eloquent posts, spoken from the heart. I am not black so I have no ability to refute your statements. My ex- sister-in-law felt the same way about the area and they lived on Central St. in Evanston. However, she was quite paranoid and thought EVERYONE was out to get her. Again, perhaps, this is part of growing up black vs. white. I am saddened by the prejudism I run into occasionally. I think it's ingnorant and a knee jerk reaction to social problems people see, like gangs.
HOWEVER, Europe has it's prejudisms as well. The Turkish in Germany. The Arab/Muslims in England and the Algerians in France. Perhaps it's not as bad or perhaps people are slower to make quick knee-jerk judgements. I'm glad you found a place that fits you well. I enjoyed your posts, but I thought I would add a little perspective on your depictment of Europe.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Ok, wtf?

Last edited by Avengerfire; 10-24-2008 at 08:54 AM..

Old 10-24-2008, 01:36 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
The racism I've seen in Europe would never be tolerated in the U.S. There are just smaller numbers of minorities there--and thus, fewer opportunities for strife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs