Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 AM

76 posts, read 211,293 times

Advertisements

The day after buying a house in La Grange I get notice of my property assessment going up by 33% -- and it was already my block's highest assessed without being the biggest or nicest.

Can homeowners successfully lower their assessments WITHOUT hiring a lawyer?

What are the best strategies for doing so? I've computed the average Assessment/Trans.Price for over a hundred recent transactions and the average is 9% compared to my assessment at 12.5%. Is this considered good evidence of "lack of uniformity" (which is one of the reasons offered by the county for a homeowner's appeal request)?

The reason mine is out of whack is because they've got the square footage wrong -- reported as 3300 versus 2700 or so. I'll obviously have that corrected, and the online appeal form enables one to do so directly online. (At least the request can be submitted. Now whether they actually update the database and recompute the assessment is another question.)

This seems like an easy case to make, but I've heard that the county is somewhat corrupt and that getting anything done requires a lawyer. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs