Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 11:41 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,813 times

Advertisements

would they mind if a wisconsin person moved there or would I take a lot of crap from people? I ask that because ive heard that there is a lot of animosity across the states borders. but maybe thats just overblown. anyway, whats Gurnee like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 05:49 PM

16 posts, read 121,648 times
Okay, I say this with humor, but having lived in Illinois all my 43 years, I too have heard the joke about what they call people from Illinois (FIB's) and vice versa for Wisconsin.(FWCh-heads) But that's all it is, a stupid joke. Seriously.
In the real grown up world of things, of course you would be welcome in Gurnee, (I live here) as you would anywhere in Illinois!
My husband and I grew up in Winnetka and lived there as a married couple and in '04, we moved to Gurnee. Why? Well we have our personal reasons, but aside from that, it was just too expensive for us to stay there and in our opinion, things have changed and we would like the opportunity to raise our children in a more diverse and financially attainable community.
Truth be told, I lived in a bubble before we moved here (shame on me). I thought Gurnee was all about Gurnee Mills and Great America. And yes, there is a mall here as well as an amusement park! However, there is also a thriving community of great people raising their families and enjoying life. The schools are divided up into 2 districts with 56 being in the older section of Gurnee, but from what I hear, just lovely and district 50 being newer, much larger schools and that is where our children are. It's like any school in Anytown, USA, you have to stay involved and up to speed on what's happening there. We have had a great experience, so far.
There is a a ton of shopping and lots of restaurants. It is close to both highways, 41 and I-94 and you can be downtown in no time! The neighborhoods are small worlds in themselves. We live in one that is very family-oriented and has winding sidewalks and a huge park and neighbors who watch out for one another. You have, nearby, Condell Hospital in Libertyville and Lake Forest and Highland Park hospitals as well. There is a beautiful aquatic center pool here as well as a brand new park district facility with health club, etc.
I think you would be very happy here, as well as anywhere you go, it's up to you!
Good luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:30 PM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
I also live in Gurnee. Residents in Gurnee are typical suburban Chicagoans. There is little to no difference in the people you would meet in Gurnee to those you would meet in other similar suburbs like Naperville. Wisconsin may only be 7 miles to the north but from a "way of life" stand point it, Wisconsin may as well be 70 miles north. The newspapers come from Chicago or suburban sources with little to no reference of Wisconsin. Gurnee is in the Chicago DMA for cable tv, etc. so the TV channels and news broadcasts in Gurnee are the same as they are in downtown Chicago (i.e. there are no Wisconsin channels unless you get on your roof and aim an over the air antenna towards the north). I'm a Cubs fan but I see just as many White Sox fans in our neighborhood-----no Brewers fans. Though with football maybe the Packers have a 5% fan base here in Lake County. Basically what I'm trying to say is that unless you put a packers flag on your new flag pole and walk around wearing green and gold or a I love Wisconsin shirt----no one will care or notice that your from Wisconsin. There is no hostile attitude---like the FIB thing in Wisconsin.

The nice thing about Gurnee is that although its large with shopping malls and the amusement park, it still has a small town feel. Recently I was at one of our great parks in Gurnee and ran into her honor the mayor----who happened to remember my first name from a previous meeting years ago. It was a mayberry moment.

You'll be happy in Gurnee.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Youd be completely fine... noone in the world will care if youre from WI. You might catch some heat by wearing Packer crap, but other than that? Nada.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM

3 posts, read 14,541 times
My buddy lives in Round Lake, and works in Pleasant Prairie, WI.

It's definitely no big deal.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,318 times
Thumbs up I live in Gurnee

And have for the past 7 1/2 years. I agree with the previous posters. If you have a Packers flag out you will get some grief, but it will all be in good fun. A very good place to live. Friendly neighbors depend on the people as everywhere else. We have some stupid, stand offish neighbors and we have some awesome neighbors. I would recommend Gurnee to anyone! FYI: home values also have stayed fairly consistent in the past years (of course there are issues everywhere with the housing market).

Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 AM

358 posts, read 847,636 times
I call it clown town, that is, with Great America and Gurnee Mills, it fills up with boorish clowns all the time. I'm sure it's a nice place to live. From what I read, the mayor is a NIMBY when it comes to cell phone towers. Sad.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:47 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Angorlee.
can't speak about Gurnee but can tell you that wife and I moved to Arlington Hts this year after having lived in WI all our lives. (47 yrs).

Very nice people here in Chicago land. We are enjoying the change a lot. Unlike some of the small town cheesehead poeple, nobody really cares about something as innocuous as where you are from. I proudly fly my packer flag and catch some neighborly heat but it is all in good fun and i think those things actually bring people closer.

If you have a good opportunity and a good attitude towards others, go for it! You can always go back if it is not for you.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
would they mind if a wisconsin person moved there or would I take a lot of crap from people? I ask that because ive heard that there is a lot of animosity across the states borders. but maybe thats just overblown. anyway, whats Gurnee like?
Can sum it up in one word... SNOWY! Sorry, bad joke after today.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:15 AM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chummy Waters View Post
I call it clown town, that is, with Great America and Gurnee Mills, it fills up with boorish clowns all the time. I'm sure it's a nice place to live. From what I read, the mayor is a NIMBY when it comes to cell phone towers. Sad.

I think the disadvantage of Gurnee is the traffic from Great America and Gurnee Mills. Typically though the Great America crowd tends to drive directly from the Great America parking lot to I-94....Not really going to the local joints after being at the park all day.

As for the NIMBY mayor being sad? Why would that be sad? We should have more cell towers polluting the village? Secondly----I follow whats going on in Gurnee issues pretty closely and I don't recall this being an issue even. Cell phone coverage in Gurnee is fine---no problems---your cell phone will work. Chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs