Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 15,896 times

Advertisements

Got some questions about the Chicago area. Is there ANYWHERE to live outside of Chicago that will get me out into the countryside of Illinois quickly, and does Illinois even have a picturesque countryside area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:13 AM

11 posts, read 36,799 times
Depends on what you define as picturesque but there are very nice rural areas of Illinois. If you live by the ends of the Metra lines (zone F or higher) you'll probably be very close to the country side, especially on the far north and far south lines. You'll have a long commute into the city though.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,625,722 times
I live in Barrington Hills, very picturesque but also expensive. Barrington has some lovely areas. Bull Valley outside of Woodstock is also hilly and nice, with acerage minimums for housing as well. As far as Illinois, the NW corner,around Galena is very nice as is Southern Illinois. The central area is cornfield flat, but down towards Carbondale/Marion its lovely.Illinois is not known for breathtaking beauty as say Oregon or parts of New England,, but there are many nice areas.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,423 times
Default Prospect Heights to Hoffman estates

I am going to Shift to Prospect Heights in a month or so. and i will work from Hoffman estates. I need some help to know if there are any metra or buses that goes from Prospect Heights to Hoffman Estates?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,434,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chprout View Post
Got some questions about the Chicago area. Is there ANYWHERE to live outside of Chicago that will get me out into the countryside of Illinois quickly, and does Illinois even have a picturesque countryside area?
Define "picturesque". Rolling hills? Deep woods? Lakes? Prairies? Cornfields? Quaint towns? Horse communities?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:39 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,650,746 times
^^Steve-o has pictures of them all!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:18 AM

56 posts, read 215,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotoProspectHeights View Post
I am going to Shift to Prospect Heights in a month or so. and i will work from Hoffman estates. I need some help to know if there are any metra or buses that goes from Prospect Heights to Hoffman Estates?
That could be a bit tricky. Where in Hoffman Estates are you going? If you're going to Prairie Stone/Sears near Sutton Road (IL Route 59), it looks like you could take PACE 221 from Prospect Heights to Rosemont and then PACE 610 from there to Prairie Stone.

If you're going to someplace along Golf Road, PACE 696 goes from Randhurst near Prospect Heights to Schaumburg/Woodfield, where you can connect to bus 554 that goes along Golf Rd. to Hoffman Estates.

You can check the bus and train information yourself at the PACE (bus) and METRA (train) sites.
Pace Bus - A Fresh Approach to Public Transportation
Metra - Welcome to Metra

Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,681,095 times
Check out this area. If you go to the satellite view, all the green and brown area to the west and south is countryside. Fox river, lots of farm land, small quaint towns. Try it, you'll like it,

fsbo home in Oswego IL @ For Sale By Owner.com

Old 08-12-2008, 04:00 PM

7 posts, read 15,896 times
Default Steve-O???

Okay, well, I live in Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley. It doesn't get a whole lot more picturesque than that. But I enjoy taking weekend trips on a motorcycle, getting out in the countryside. I supposed that "countryside" could be flat or mountainous, but either way, it's NOT the city. Rolling hills, lakes or ponds, farms, forests....I'll take any of it. I'm a scenery freak.

If a job were to be in Warrenville, where would I want to live to be able to access these things?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,434,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chprout View Post
Okay, well, I live in Virginia in the Shenandoah Valley. It doesn't get a whole lot more picturesque than that. But I enjoy taking weekend trips on a motorcycle, getting out in the countryside. I supposed that "countryside" could be flat or mountainous, but either way, it's NOT the city. Rolling hills, lakes or ponds, farms, forests....I'll take any of it. I'm a scenery freak.

If a job were to be in Warrenville, where would I want to live to be able to access these things?
Sadly there is nothing here like the Shenandoah Valley, but there is some nice scenery up in the NW corner of the state (about 2.5 hours NW of Chicagoland) that might be passable enough for you. And how far are you willing to commute to Warrenville?

Here is about the extent of our hills in Chicagoland (dont laugh, ok?!?! lol):

Further out west (about 1 hour west of Warrenville) near Oregon, IL:

And here are some NW IL terrain photos:

And in central IL there are some decent areas with nice terrain, around the Starved Rock State Park and Matthiessen State Park areas. There is also Buffalo Rock State Park in the area, too. Lots of bikers out that way, tackling the back roads, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs