Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 11:43 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I have no idea what prices will do in the future. As a home owner I'd love to believe that prices have bottomed out, but maybe I'm not that optimistic...

The North Shore may be a stretch for you. You might want to look to the suburbs to the west. I still think Park Ridge could be a good choice, but it's truly suburban, unfortunately.
What's wrong with Park Ridge being suburban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM

14 posts, read 29,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Mom View Post
I moved to Wilmette from another state just six weeks ago, and I love it. Our neighbors are friendly - one offered to take my daughter to the park with her kids the day we moved in. Our neighborhood has weekly pot-lucks in the summer. My neighbors mow their own lawns and wash their own cars and talk to each other when they meet on the sidewalk. A friend visiting from Joliet said he'd never seen so many people walking, biking, and running. I haven't encountered any "North Shore" snobbery or attitude.
There are some nice-looking neighborhoods on the west side of Wilmette where you could buy a ranch or split-level in the $400's (according to Realtor.com) and walk to school, the pool, the community center, parks, and some shops. The neighborhoods have sidewalks and the houses aren't too far apart. You could bike or drive a couple of miles east to get to the downtown area and beach. As your income rises, you could move further east and get that older house with a front porch.
As a new resident, I'm certainly no expert, but check out Wilmette before assuming it is too expensive or the moms are too pushy.
Thanks for the input!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium View Post
Try some of the defined communities within Arlington Heights -- I still regret that our family didn't move to the "Stonegate" area in AH when our son was young and we had the chance.

Here's a suggestion: Use Google Earth to browse neighborhoods from the air: you can quickly discover places that look like safe, leafy places to live that are near stores and conveniences, and you can get an idea of what the houses and schools look like. When you've made some discoveries, switch to Google Map's Street View to "drive around".
Sodium, I do like what I've seen of Arlington Heights, but I think the commute is just too far. We're trying to drive less, not more...or at least, not that much more! Good idea using Street View to get a feel for neighborhoods...I've tried that with a few and you're right, it really gives me an idea of what a neighborhood looks like, enough to at least look further.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
What's wrong with Park Ridge being suburban?
The poster said they were looking for more of an urban experience. By urban, I mean traditional town-planning and development patterns (i.e. density, walkability, etc). The term "suburban" implies towns that are set up around automobile usage. I know Park Ridge has a nice walkable commercial strip "Uptown", but most of the town is a post-war suburb set up around the car. But it's definitely not as bad as some further-out suburbs. At least there are sidewalks!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
...The North Shore may be a stretch for you. You might want to look to the suburbs to the west. I still think Park Ridge could be a good choice, but it's truly suburban, unfortunately.
Park Ridge is not really anymore suburban than the much of North Shore.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Park Ridge is not really anymore suburban than the much of North Shore.
Yeah, I guess I'd agree with that. Parts of Evanston are dense and urban, but most of Evanston is suburban with green lawns and larger lots. Many of the North Shore suburbs have older cores that are pretty walkable, though.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I'd agree with that. Parts of Evanston are dense and urban, but most of Evanston is suburban with green lawns and larger lots. Many of the North Shore suburbs have older cores that are pretty walkable, though.
By "urban" I definitely meant walkable (even if there are yards and larger lots--are there also sidewalks? Is it safe/practical to get to coffee shops, libraries, grocery stores, etc on foot?) and some sort of downtown experience (a cultural scene of some sort, restaurants, etc). Diversity is nice, but I know some of the areas I'm looking just won't really have it.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:23 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-Newbie View Post
By "urban" I definitely meant walkable (even if there are yards and larger lots--are there also sidewalks? Is it safe/practical to get to coffee shops, libraries, grocery stores, etc on foot?) and some sort of downtown experience (a cultural scene of some sort, restaurants, etc). Diversity is nice, but I know some of the areas I'm looking just won't really have it.
If that's your definition of urban then Park Ridge has that. It's not diverse though.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
If that's your definition of urban then Park Ridge has that. It's not diverse though.
It has that IF you happen to live close to those things. The entire town of Park Ridge isn't like that.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM

73 posts, read 163,575 times
Quote:
It has that IF you happen to live close to those things. The entire town of Park Ridge isn't like that.
But I think it's more than you think. I grew up in Park Ridge, and the vast majority of my friends (who lived all over the town) were able to easily walk to Uptown, the South Park shopping area, or both without having to deal with many busy streets. There are some neighborhoods on the far North side of the town and near Maine South that are not very walkable, but I would say that the majority of the town enjoys a pedestrian friendly lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs