Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 PM

16 posts, read 37,857 times

Advertisements

where is it and why???

I need one more year of saving and college before I can leave Elgin IL, I truley hate the midwest I feel like its just blahhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:47 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,850,768 times
Well you do live in Elgin. Move to Chicago-problem solved. If not, go move out to Taiwan.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:51 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,998,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well you do live in Elgin. Move to Chicago-problem solved. If not, go move out to Taiwan.
Serously. I'd hate life if I lived in Elgin too. Don't blame the entire freakin' midwest, though!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 AM

332 posts, read 636,315 times
Born and raised in MI, moved to Hollywood, CA after college, moved back to MI, moved to Orlando, FL, moved to Indy, moved to IL, just South of the WI border...

My point...as much as I've been trying to avoid living in the state I grew up in, I just can't stay too far away.

Yes, the Midwest may seem "blahh," but I've been all over the country, and can't imagine calling any other region home. Why you may ask???

...the seasons, a fair number of lakes, Big Ten sports, friends, family, a pretty central location...

My advice for youngsters with the same feelings...get the heck out when your time is right...but leave the door open to come back home when/if you get it out of your system.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 AM

73 posts, read 202,353 times
I'm from New England, and was not a fan at all. People in the midwest are MUCH nicer lol.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,890,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontfootforward View Post
where is it and why???

I need one more year of saving and college before I can leave Elgin IL, I truley hate the midwest I feel like its just blahhh
I was born and raised in Elgin. Of course it was much different then than it is now, but I always wished I'd been born somewhere else. Later moved to Des Plaines and Park Ridge. Park Ridge is definitely more upscale than Elgin and closer to the city, but to me it was still all blah, and I never felt that even though there's much I love about the Midwest, that I belonged there.

This past December I moved to South Carolina. It's a whole different world and not necessarily better in some ways, but I feel like I've found my spot now, and it soothes my soul to live there.

I'm back visiting in Illinois and saw my doctor yesterday. Was stunned at how low my blood pressure was and could only correlate it to the different pace of life in the South (and far less stress-producing traffic).

If your'e itching to get out of Elgin, do it while you're still young enough to enjoy it, but do some research and check out a place before you just up and move there -- especially if you won't be able to afford moving a second time!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,998,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanacus View Post
My advice for youngsters with the same feelings...get the heck out when your time is right...but leave the door open to come back home when/if you get it out of your system.
Or when you run out of money...

I agree that the time to get out and live in different places is when you are in your 20s. It get's harder after more serious job responsibilities, marriage, and kids come into the equation. It's still possible, just more difficult.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:33 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,732,977 times
There are crappy places everywhere, youre living in one of them. Move to Geneva, IL and youd sing a different tune, guaranteed. Just because you live in a not-so-desireable area of IL doesnt mean the whole midwest sucks. If I went to Nogales, AZ, my impression would be that the SW is the worlds biggest sh*thole. Same goes for Needles, CA, Id think CA was the biggest dump ever.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:47 AM

6,912 posts, read 22,677,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I was born and raised in Elgin. Of course it was much different then than it is now, but I always wished I'd been born somewhere else. Later moved to Des Plaines and Park Ridge. Park Ridge is definitely more upscale than Elgin and closer to the city, but to me it was still all blah, and I never felt that even though there's much I love about the Midwest, that I belonged there.

This past December I moved to South Carolina. It's a whole different world and not necessarily better in some ways, but I feel like I've found my spot now, and it soothes my soul to live there.

I'm back visiting in Illinois and saw my doctor yesterday. Was stunned at how low my blood pressure was and could only correlate it to the different pace of life in the South (and far less stress-producing traffic).

If your'e itching to get out of Elgin, do it while you're still young enough to enjoy it, but do some research and check out a place before you just up and move there -- especially if you won't be able to afford moving a second time!
I never lived in Elgin but I was itching to get out of Illinois as soon as I landed there in 1975. A boy was involved; yes! Well, I ended up moving into Chicago twice before we finally bought a house in Bridgeview. I was never happy anywhere in that state and we missed the chance to move to California in the 80's. Traffic, taxes, cold and lots of other reasons lead us to look for somewhere warmer to live. We found this place called Spartanburg, SC. Hubby thought he had a job opportunity there but we decided Spartanburg was too small and looked to Greenville. Hello photogal!

Like photogal, who lives only 20 miles from me...we like it here. Warm temps, shinning sun nearly everyday. There is not much here to dislike; except I want a steamed (not frozen) White Castle slider! I like to swim and I can do that here all summer without freezing in ice-cold water.

Sometimes it seems our government here is as corrupt and clueless as it is in Illinois. Somethings don't change no matter how far away you think you are getting.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM

23 posts, read 48,402 times
I can't understand what the complaints are with Elgin. I work in their downtown area and love it. It's small enough to feel connected to most everyone, and there's enough places to eat, drink and be merry. Plus, they have some truly beautiful Victorians sprinkled around the city. It's close to the expressway and Metra stops in a couple places so I can go anywhere.
Really, it's rather nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs