Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,476 times

Advertisements

Try this website:
http://metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

It sounds like you are looking at communitites along the UP-W Line.
The UP-NW line has some wonderful communities that also seem to fit your discription. Wheaton has a wonderful college, lots of historical sites, and a nice blend of diversity amoung its residence, and lots of modern services.
On the SWS if you are looking for county charm that are just now beginning to experience urban growth you'll love Manhatten. New Lenox is a well rounded community that has wonderful parking for the Metro and is a typical subburb community. Orland Park has wonderful shopping, access to several hospitals, good schools, a great park district and good law enforcement with a fairly low crime rate. It is also the world capital for number of Golf Courses, so among all that moderazation it has lots of green space and healty atmosphere. Unless you plan to live in Chicago mass transit transportation routes, you are going to need a car. You can go from skyscrapers to open farmn land in 35 minutes. We have it all, including the Bears, Cubs, Wolves, and the Art Museum Lions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,355,616 times
Dont let anyone talk you out of the suburbs! I agree with you, and am also a young single female. I lived in the city for a while but it just doesn't work for me, and its so expensive and I always felt unsafe! That is just me...

I live the above suggestion, but if I were you I would take a good look at some further out suburbs (as you seem to not mind this) look toward fox lake, vernon hills, grayslake, antioch (all have metras) and I personally prefer it up here because there are a lot of nice state parks and lots of space. Sometimes it is boring but if you make friends at work or get involved you will be fine.

Being a female...nothing beats feeling safe and comfortable at home. And an hour long metra ride is nice time to read and even meet people, and people watch. you get the best of both worlds.

best of luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 07:59 PM

38 posts, read 222,646 times
Default 29/F single too...

Hey there Kimo82....

I just moved from the northern Chicago surburbs not knowing much about the southside myself. I just moved into Oak Lawn. Look into that area also. I am 29 also female. Just bought a house there 4 months ago. I feel very safe in my neighborhood so far. Funny. how everyone asks you why you want to move to the burbs! All my friends live out in Lincoln Park area and I'm way out there. Well, I (and you) will get ahead in life because we aren't renting. Anyhow, you can find a (not a spectacular)- but decent house around the $230k range. I got mine as I said 4 mos ago - got it for $225k. Ugly on the outside, but nice and redone on the inside. So slowly changing over the ugly outside. Anyhow, you are from East Coast... there is a LOT of traffic compared to what I am used to out here. Anyhow, good luck with the move. Let me know if you can find anywhere good to make new buddies in the area I'm still looking......

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo82 View Post
Hi,
Thanks again for the input, everyone!

Yeah I know it sounds odd for a girl my age to want to live in the 'burbs, but I guess that's just what I'm accustomed to. I lived in Queens (Forest Hills) my whole life but went to high school in Manhattan, (college in Boston) and I work now in Manhattan. I don't mind working in a city, and being in it, but living in it? Not the first thing I think of. I don't mind living in a quieter area about an hour from the city. I'm used to commuting, so that's not an issue.

Budget is definitely something I consider since I want to buy, not rent. I have friends who live in Wrigleyville and while it's nice, I feel like I would prefer more space in the suburbs than a small apartment in the city. Unless you guys can recommend some safe neighborhoods in the city that isn't an arm and a leg?

I'd be happy to look all over the place... This forum is really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs