Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:20 PM

23 posts, read 80,673 times

Advertisements

Oh, BTW. Fort Sheridan does not have an electric fence. Thats just stupid and small minded.

And, I would know, I am an US Army Military Police officer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 09:37 PM

63 posts, read 254,542 times
Highwood used to be a place where we'd go drinking or find someone there to buy beer. Some good restuarants and bars there, probably more than most boring suburbs around. Not sure I'd want to live close to all of that though.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Highwood doesn't really have any nightlife. Highwood is unsafe, it has a considerable amount of crime. Fort Sheridan is really the only OK place in Highwood. It is surrounded by an electric fence!
Nysee, seriously are you really expecting people who have lived in and around the north shore to believe there is an electric fence around ft. sheridan? ..... Does New Trier teach these things?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:45 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USArmySoldier View Post
Oh, BTW. Fort Sheridan does not have an electric fence. Thats just stupid and small minded.

And, I would know, I am an US Army Military Police officer.

A very interesting choice of words.

Of course there is no electric fence. Anyone who has ever driven along Sheridan Road in Highwood knows that's wrong.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:56 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Highwood doesn't really have any nightlife..
Then do those many popular,crowded and outstanding bars/restaraunts close at dusk ?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Then do those many popular,crowded and outstanding bars/restaraunts close at dusk ?
I think they are only visible and audible to the non-elite.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:37 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
LOL! Some of "Nysee53"'s comments are hilarious, that's for sure. No offense Nysse53, I just find them humorous. By the way, Highwood's crime rate is nothing compared to other areas in the northern suburbs such as North Chicago, southern Waukegan, west Evanston (Dodge Street area), and southern Evanston bordering Rogers Park in Chicago (Howard Street area aka the "Jungle").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
I think they are only visible and audible to the non-elite.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 PM

I drove up to LF today for a luncheon, carefully observing the fencing around Ft. Sheridan. There is no barbed wire around the place, much less an electric fence. Most of the fencing is wooden lattice..

However in Lake Forest, a few miles north of Highwood, there is a US Army Reserve facility with huge letters on the building spelling out "US ARMY RESERVE". There were army type trucks and other military vehicles, as well as uniformed guys in front. This building does have a chain link fence with barbed(not electric) wire on top. Prehaps our "real estate developer" friend is unable to tell the difference between an military installation and a suburban subdivision?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:53 AM

142 posts, read 431,918 times
I'm a grad of Lake Forest College, so I spent 4 years taking full advantage of Highwood's nightlife :-)~

From what I understood, Highwood's population was comprised largely of Mexican immigrants, many of whom worked for the wealthy families of Lake Forest, Highland Park, and the other North Shore 'burbs. It was a quaint, working class town with a primarily Hispanic population who seemed to take great pride in their neighborhood.

My college friends and I regularly hung out in Highwood at night, and never felt unsafe walking around. We were "old faces" at spots like the Wooden Nickel, Teddy O'Brians, and Buffo's. Many of my classmates who lived off campus chose apartments in Highwood because it was one of the only affordable neighborhoods near LFC.

The restaurants were great. TONS of good Mexican places, really nice breakfast spots, supper clubs, and of course Froggy's :-) I went to school with the owner's daughter. And I still drool a little when I think about the garlic cheese bread from IL Forno's...

My dad was an army doctor at Fort Sheridan in the 1980s, but from what I understand it's no longer an active military base...

Anyhow, point being, if you like the apartment and want to live on the North Shore without having to deal with all the snootiness of the surrounding wealthy communities... Highwood is an excellent bet. You'll be safe there, and with no doubt enjoy the benefits of the area :-)

Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM

23 posts, read 80,673 times
There is a wonderful mix of people in Highwood, the main element of Highwood is still very much a working-class Italian neighborhood. There is the North Shore estates apartment complex which does house mostly Latinos, however, that is ironically enough, a block from Lake Forest. But for the most part, the small homes and cottages in Highwood are still owned by prominent Italian locals. The people that live here are all great, everyone knows each other and I have found a better bond with my neighbors than I did when I lived in Highland Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs