Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:35 AM

242 posts, read 760,659 times

Advertisements

Midway airporty - wow is all i have to say. it is just so clean and new and even though it gets packed, they manage to keep things moving. they're huge food court/shopping area is amazingg. My one complaint is they could have more seats by the gates....but for a busy city like chicago, that is one impressive airport.

Cicero Avenue - it was interesting to drive through inner-city chicago right afert landing. i actually quite enjoyed it to see a more 'real' place in chicago. I'm not sure how bad that are was, but it seemed pretty bad, but not like 'horrible'. It seems like a lot of spanish people lived there....i was surprised, didn't know chicago had many. and also my dad said he saw a prostitute but didn't believe him. could there be some on cicero?

suburbs' Well i was mostly in the northwest/north suburbs, and naperville, so i kind of have a limited view. The northwest suburbs (hoffman estates, schaumburg, hanover park, etc.) are nice but i was expecting more established suburban areas rather than all new houses. Evanston, Glenview, Winnetka, i prefer much more. It is absolutely beautiful. all and all, the suburbs seem quite nice, and safe too, and clean.

metra - great train system. When will it get automatic ticket machines?

chicago proper - chicago was amazingg, even though i wasnt in the actual city for long. so clean, so much to see. wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 04:54 AM

782 posts, read 3,791,822 times
Those are establish suburbs.There is a large population of spanish residents in Chicago.Starting around 22 second street going as far back as 79 street.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:12 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,369,296 times
Yeah, parts of cicero ave are kinda of rough, but there are worse areas of Chicago for sure. I am glad your experience with Midway was good. Last time I was there, about 10 years ago, mine was just so-so. Long wait for baggage.
Many parts of the nw burbs (ones you mention) are newer (70s and newer).

Old 06-16-2008, 08:39 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,246,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post
Cicero Avenue - it was interesting to drive through inner-city chicago right afert landing. i actually quite enjoyed it to see a more 'real' place in chicago. I'm not sure how bad that are was, but it seemed pretty bad, but not like 'horrible'. It seems like a lot of spanish people lived there....i was surprised, didn't know chicago had many. and also my dad said he saw a prostitute but didn't believe him. could there be some on cicero?
So did you guys lose any tires in the potholes around 39th on Cicero? Maybe they've fixed them up by now...

Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 PM

the nw burbs reminded me a lot of florida suburban devlopments. however, some areas i was in (like h. estates, algonquin, hanover park, etc.) seemed to have small areas of more established suburbs, but mostly new developments. I must say though, the north burbs (glenview, evanston, winnetka, skokie) i REALLY fell in love with. maybe its because they're most similar to where i live (long island, NY) but they are so nice and have a nice feel to them. another really nice town i passed through was Itasca. and also, i said earlier, are they ever gettin auto-ticket machines for metra??

Old 06-16-2008, 03:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,457,909 times
Did you get out to the western burbs (ie Geneva, Wheaton, St. Charles, Wasco, etc)? If not, be sure to check them out, theyre amongst my favorites in Chicagoland and are wonderful places to live.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Did you get out to the western burbs (ie Geneva, Wheaton, St. Charles, Wasco, etc)? If not, be sure to check them out, theyre amongst my favorites in Chicagoland and are wonderful places to live.
I'm not sure if Naperville is considered a western burb, which i did visit. i enjoyed it very much there. very nice downtown. besides that, i was in other areas. i actually did want to visit those areas, like glen ellyn and elmhurst, lombard, but didnt get the chance. one burb that was really nice, however, was itasca.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 PM

331 posts, read 1,546,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3512 View Post
and also, i said earlier, are they ever gettin auto-ticket machines for metra??
Never. No free rides here, bud. Besides Chicago is about job creation, not job elimination

Old 06-16-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Never. No free rides here, bud. Besides Chicago is about job creation, not job elimination
neever thought of it that way. being a long islander/new yorker, were used to everything bein quick. but the thing it seems like attendants arent even there that much. like the ticket people.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:01 AM

71 posts, read 269,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
Those are establish suburbs.There is a large population of spanish residents in Chicago.Starting around 22 second street going as far back as 79 street.
Spanish people are from Spain. The overwhelming majority of the Spanish speaking residents in Chicago are not Spanish. They tend to come from Latin America and many were even born in the United States.

I speak English, but I'm not English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs