Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you think it is good for the police to send press releases about this to the papers
yes, shows they are on top of things 28 82.35%
no, makes my community look bad 6 17.65%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 02:59 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,669,471 times

Advertisements

question...you town makes an arrest of a known sex offender for violating the sex offender notification requirements etc..do you view this as positive information about your community or negative?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 AM

216 posts, read 725,244 times
You cannot get away from sex-offenders. They are all over. You can look at the sex offender registry websites for any state and find out where they live. I do not think it is o.k. to hassle these people, but I do let my children know about the danger of speaking to these people and show them their faces so they are familiar with them. My kids are over ten so this doesn't scare them, just empowers them. I also think we have to be aware that some of these "sex-offenders" may have been arrested for statiatory rape when they were teens...(i.e. 18 year old with a 16 year old girlfriend) and they are lumped in with the rest. We cannot assume that if someone is on the list that they are a hardened criminal, or that they will snatch our kids off the street. As with anything, common sense is important. All in all though, I think the information is good when used with practical judgement, not hysteria. I also do not believe it is negative on your community because it shows the police are doing their job and keeping the community safe.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:03 AM

we had an arrest here in our town the other day. I heard that some members of the local government felt that the police should not have provided the arrest info and report to the press. I thought it was a good thing and suggested that the police were on top of things. they weren't hassling, just making sure that the requirements were being met and staying on top of those who don't follow the rules. I think it is something that the public usually wants to know and is glad to hear that the cops are doing their jobs. just thought i would get some other perspective with the comments here and the poll!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:46 PM

610 posts, read 2,735,306 times
I am on an email list from my county where anytime a sex offender moves within a mile of my home I get his/her photo, description of the offense and his/her new location. In a previous neighborhood (another town/county) we had a registered SO move in and he was not welcomed by many in the community. I felt badly for the way his children were treated. They moved after a year to a new community about 20 minutes away. I have no problem with government officials posting information regarding SO as long as they have a valid reason to do so.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:10 PM

308 posts, read 1,619,850 times
I hope everyone realizes that not all sex offenders are actually posted on that registry. Sex offenders are classified and dependent upon how they are classified depends upon whether or not they are listed on that registry for public knowledge. As someone who has reviewed records of ALL sex offenders regardless of their category level, I can assure you that there are people on that registry who likely will not cause you any problems whatsoever and there are people who are NOT on that registry who I would not let my child within viewing distance of. People like to talk about how their neighborhood is so safe because they don't have any sex offenders there. You'd be surprised how many convicted sex offenders are there and how many convicted sex offenders you know personally (but aren't on the lovely list).

Old 06-15-2008, 05:19 PM

610 posts, read 2,735,306 times
Very good point Paramour.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,894,577 times
Sex offenders in Illinois are required to register for either 10 years or for natural life (depending on the conviction and the date of conviction).

A person who has been adjudicated as Sexually Dangerous, or Sexually Violent must register with the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction at his or her place of address every 90 days for natural life.

If a sex offender or sexual predator is convicted for a violation of the Act after July 1, 2005, he or she will be required to register every 90 days for the remainder of their registration period.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,717,875 times
...and we all know how people follow every law in this country and never violate them. We also know how vigilant our local governments are in enforcing every law...

NOT.

What I want to know is how someone who is deemed "Sexually Dangerous, or Sexually Violent " is allowed to walk the streets and live in free society. It does not make sense does it?

So what if these people are required to register their whereabouts? Does that stop them from commiting horrid crimes again? One word:no.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-15-2008 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-16-2008, 12:11 AM

308 posts, read 1,619,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
...and we all know how people follow every law in this country and never violate them. We also know how vigilant our local governments are in enforcing every law...
Let's not forget about convicted sex offenders who move from one state to another. They're supposed to register with the new state, but as you said . . .

Old 06-16-2008, 07:02 AM

so, the fact that the sugar grove police were on top of the situation, and arrested the guy because he failed to comply is seen as positive in the public, right? that is how I feel. the guy lives in my neighborhood, so I am pretty biased. as I said in earlier post, some thought that by the info being in the newspaper, it made sugar grove look bad. I think just the opposite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs