Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,746 times

Advertisements

Wife and I may be looking at these areas to move to. Could I get some info on the 3 in the following subjects:

1. Location and access to highways, espcially 88 for job will be off 88.
2. Property Taxes, heard they can get a little high out west.
3. Dinning, shopping in towns
4. What the future plans are. I know these towns are all in the midst of growing, what are the future plans?

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
You don't say where on 88. All three are fine towns. Access to 88 from 47 is west bound only. If you need to go east Sugar Grove has easier access. Elburn & Yorkville may have a little lower priced housing and more fast food restaurants. You might also want to look at Oswego. Its a short drive up Orchard rd to 88 from the west side.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Where are moving from and why?

I mean if you live in Chicago now and will be working in Warrenville or some place I can see why you might want to move closer to work, but there is nothing magic about heading way out west -- lost of towns MUCH closer in are far more developed. Even basic things like daily commute are a struggle in some areas. Have you been to Elburn? Not many options to get from there to anywhere that don't go through some areas where the streets all cry out "expensive upgrades needed soon"...

Yorkville is VERY similar, and worse, does not have train service. Ditto for Sugar Grove.

Now, don't misunderstand me. These are NOT horrible places to live by any means. For people that like a more farmland-to-subdivison kind of transformation these are THE ticket, but if you are commuting to a regular office on a regular basis this may not be the way to go.

The traditional grid that rules most of the Chicago area gives way to "farmers and rivers" that dictated a lot of roadways west of about Wheaton -- nothing wrong with that for folks who can rely on train service or work/live in towns like Naperville and Batavia, but given that gas is going to be ever more precious a commodity and even carbon itself may be taxed, I would think real real hard about buying a place that would lock me into a tortured commute...

Elburn to Sugar Grove to Yorkville is about 20 miles, where is work?
At 47 & 88?
East (most likely)?
West (I'd be surprised, but not a lot...)?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:52 PM

31 posts, read 86,344 times
I'd say Elburn due to i-88 and the U.P. being close by. But one thing you have to consider is that these are all new towns that have or soon will have high property taxes due to new schools, and new municipal facilities being built.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:06 PM

43 posts, read 165,029 times
I'd say out of those three (in order

If you' want close proximity to I-88 then:

1. Sugar Grove (I know people who live in Sugar Grove in Prestbury and it's literally right off I-88/56).

2. Elburn (excellent access to trains but a ways out west)

3. Yorkville (I wouldn't live in Yorkville though...probably the least desirable of the three...it's a little too far out for me...plus I hate Ogden Avenue in most stretches.)

I would put Elburn ahead of Sugar Grove if you're looking for Metra access but for driving to Naper/Warrenville you'd want to be in Sugar Grove.

Last edited by Naperville77; 06-03-2008 at 09:17 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,298 times
I live in sugar grove and husband works at lucent.moved here 20 years ago because the access to I88 was the best ever! still is. can get from here to naperville in under 30 minutes. Nice homes, variety of price ranges, low crime, not much in way of shopping(only grocery) also, no chain restaurants or fast food. Decent school district, new middle school being built in town, new library being built in town. a variety of commercial plans in the works right now. yorkville is farther south down rt 47(2-lane road) so, will take another 20 minutes to get to 88. Elburn is North of sugar grove, has the metra. no access to 88 going east at 47. can only head west to dekalb. shares the same school district as sugar grove. housing prices similar to sg.property taxes in sugar grove are approx. 6,700 for a $300,000 home. most goes to school district. the sugar grove farmer's market starts this saturday at the village hall, there is also an open house for the village that day from 8 a.m. to noon. you can come and check out what is being planned and meet village officials and drive around. It is a great community!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs