Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 11:02 PM

65 posts, read 292,377 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm looking at a house that looks like a great buy--looking at the map, it's just north of W Belvidere Rd and a little east of S Cedar Lake Rd. The address is Round Lake, but it looks just outside the area labeled 'Grayslake' on the maps. Can anyone comment on that area--general 'niceness,' general vibe?

Also, does anyone have a link for a site that can look up which school district you're in when you put in an address? My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Grayslake schools are well-thought-of, and Round Lake schools are a little less-so. I gather that there are a lot of Hispanic students in Round Lake/Round Lake Beach; nothing against Spanish speakers but my kids wouldn't need schools that specialize in or must devote a lot of resources to ESL services.

Thanks in advance for any remarks about this little patch of earth : )
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:44 PM

31 posts, read 86,382 times
If you like the smell of methane half the week and like paying high property taxes, Grayslake is your kinda town.

Regarding Round Lake, it is becoming a rather bad area thanks to problems coming in from Chicago and Waukegan.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by team_evans View Post
Hello all,

my kids wouldn't need schools that specialize in or must devote a lot of resources to ESL services.
Almost every school district is spending a lot of money to support ESL programs. This is the reality of Chicagoland.

Property taxes are sky high in Grayslake and it seriously impacts potential appreciation of home values. I am not an expert in Round Lake but I most certainly know that there is an influx from the city and Waukegan that have the potential to challenge this once sleepy community with bigger city problems.

High property taxes and/or big city issues are challenging to many communities with affordable new (er) construction housing. It often comes down to choosing a house or community.

Both Grayslake and Round lake have some very nice areas and I am not blanketly trashing either community.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:26 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times
This website (American FactFinder) will tell you what school district an address is in.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:00 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,574 times
Ive heard the prop. taxes are real high in Grayslake due to the schools . I have alot of customers who live in Grayslake and like it otherwise. The village has poured alot of money into the downtown area , Library, and BMX bike Park and id consider it a better than average place to live for crime , etc.. Its a cut above Round Lake . That area has really grown fast but its still sort of country living . Dont eat at the Country Squire restaurant at Routes 120 and 45 ; its an elaborate ripoff , especially for thier Thanksgiving Buffet Dinner .

Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 PM

65 posts, read 292,377 times
Thanks a bunch for all your replies--particularly the school finder thingie!

I know that ESL being a cornerstone of elementary education is the reality across the board, but I imagine that it varies in degree from community to community.

Grayslake is probably out, due to the taxes. Y'all aren't kidding! I've looked up them for properties out there and am stunned. I just looked at a house for sale for $249K and the '06 taxes were $7991--and that was '06! By comparison, by way of explaining why I have such a heart attack when I look at that, my house in Washington could sell for right around $200K and our '06 taxes were $1451. And we have no state income tax.

Ahem, sorry, I've discussed taxes on here more than once so I'm sorry to keep beating it. It's just an issue of MAJOR financial concern to people relocating from states where they're used to less of a tax burden.

I also think that that area out there to the west (Grayslake/Round Lake/Lake Villa) will be too far for my husband's commute to GLNS if gas stays anywhere near current levels, which we're told it will. So I guess we'll be stuck in Gurnee...

Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 AM

175 posts, read 564,961 times
You might want to check out the town of Winthrop Harbor, just North of Waukegan. I lived there before and after I retired from the Navy. Maybe ten miles or so to the Naval Station. It was a nice little town when I lived there.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:43 PM

4 posts, read 31,452 times
I have lived in Round Lake for 11 years now (went to school there since 6th grade) and the schools are not that bad, they are really trying to help students achieve more. To me it was more about the attitude of the student more than the quality of the teachers or school. Plus, most of the testing problems have come from students not being fluent in English or still learning it. I know now they have a program to challenge the top kids in the school to get into more selective colleges and give them the opportunity to learn about the world. I wish they had that program when I went there, I might actually be working for that program now, but I digress... When I was there "outside" people would come and visit and say they were surprised to see that it wasn't a "ghetto" school, that there were students reading or talking with teachers and getting help. I graduated in 2004 and while it's not perfect, what school is?
Anyway, There are nice parts to RL and then some you gotta maybe watch out for, but i feel pretty safe here. Now I live closer to Fox Lake (we moved after I graduated) off of Wilson Road and 134 (Grant Schools) and I don't even worry about locking my doors (I mean I do lock them, but I feel pretty safe). RL is not as bad as some make it to be. Lake County itself is a nice place, there are a lot of nature preserves here which is what I really like about this area. It's also close enough to Chicago for a quick trip to the city and has access to shopping and recreational places.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs