Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:33 AM

68 posts, read 140,164 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. Just to update this...we did buy a house in Elmhurst due to the proximity to Ohare and the 24 minute train to the city. We're happy overall though the overhead airport noise is a bit tough at times.

Very happy that I was able to immediately purchase a parking pass.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 07:36 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,614,403 times
Good to hear,glad you are happy in Elmhurst. So often, we never hear back from the op's on what they decided.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:18 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin man View Post
Thanks for the responses. Just to update this...we did buy a house in Elmhurst due to the proximity to Ohare and the 24 minute train to the city. We're happy overall though the overhead airport noise is a bit tough at times.
If you have kids, or plan to at some point, keep an eye on the schools. Elmhurst's schools seem to be having problems with maintaining consistently high test scores as students get to the high school level. York High School only has 67 percent of their student body meeting/exceeding state standards (2007 PSAE results). This is down from the high 80's to low 90's meeting/exceeding in the elementary grades.

Glenbard South (Glen Ellyn) has 76.2 percent at meets/exceeds, and Wheaton's high schools are at around 75 percent.

To their credit, Elmhurst's school board realizes they have a problem and have started the process of launching a 'Strategic Planning Process to Determine Future Direction' according to their website.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,480 times
Great thread. I love ELmhurst and Glen Ellyn!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
Great thread. I love ELmhurst and Glen Ellyn!
Two great towns! You cant go wrong with either.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Yeah - the far west and north sections in Elmhurst tend to be over holding patterns. Although they do switch them from time to time. You will get airport noise, although bensenville gets it worse. I believe they have soundproofed the schools there though.

I think the catholic high school there had to sue o'hare for the $$ they to spend to soundproof. (they won) The public schools automatically get the $$ from the govt. for that.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:09 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
Elmhurst or Glen Elynn. Usually I have an opinion on these questions but this is a true toss up.

In my opinion, Glen Ellyn may be the prettiest town in Chiccagoland. But Elmhurst is really nice too, with the great fast commute to Chicago.

Hmmm. First time I can't decide.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM

216 posts, read 723,800 times
Thanks for letting us know what you decided. I can tell you that the airport noise really varies up in the north area, depending if you are right under the flight pattern or not. Supposedly...... when they expand O'Hare completely, we may experience less noise and flights since the NE to SW runway is shorter than many of the others. We'll have to see if this is true. I really don't trust anything the city of Chicago promised citizens in order to push through the expansion. I can tell you that you get used to the noise for the most part and since we normally see a landing pattern over Elmhurst, it is not nearly as loud as the normal take-offs over Northlake. Anyway, glad you are mostly happy with your decision. Good Luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM

325 posts, read 1,473,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin man View Post

Very happy that I was able to immediately purchase a parking pass.

Thanks again.
You will get used to the airport noise; it just becomes regular old noise. Go have Roberto's pizza for me. Hands-down, my favorite pizza in the whole wide world. Haven't lived in Elmhurst for over ten years, but still remember the number (630.279.8474) as I dial it every time I leave O'Hare or Midway to pick up a pizza on the way to my sister's house.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:55 AM

88 posts, read 323,969 times
Welcome to Elmhurst, I know you made a wise choice. Don't forget Cool Cars under the Stars every Wednesday downtown Elmhurst. Silverado on Spring Road is a great place for burgers and steaks (shhhh we like to keep that a secret!!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs