Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:13 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,684,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Another structural problem with Illinois government is that there are too many different levels of government. Here in Cook county we have separate county government, township government, village government, park district boards, school boards, and probably a few others that I forget. We have way too many school districts. All these different levels of government suck up tax dollars for salaries, benefits, etc. Consolidation of school districts by itself would probably save a significant amount of tax money. It'll probably never hapen.
Gotta keep all those cronies working, I mean collecting a paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:24 AM

24 posts, read 84,740 times
On your Illinois income tax you get an actual CREDIT for roughly 5% of the property taxes you pay. If you go to Illinois Department of Revenue website there's probably more info.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:33 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,193,558 times
Too high, too little in return

Simple enough?

Old 05-18-2008, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
Default Illinois Taxes

Like most US states we in Illinois have several layers of government that tax us. In our case it's state, county, township & city or village. Each one has various ways to get revenue. We have a state income & sales taxes. We also have state fees for things like drivers licenses & plates. Local governments (county & city) add on their own sales tax & fees. In addition we have real estate taxes, which are charged to people & companies that own real estate that fund counties, townships & cities or villages. This money funds things like schools, libraries, garbage collection, etc. There is also another layer of "tax," if you can call it that, which is homeowners associations, which charge dues & ask you to pay for community improvements.

Was that simple enough?

Old 02-22-2009, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,814 times
Default Don't even try to figure out Lake County property taxes!

I tried appealing my $22,000/yr tax bill three years in a row and got denied all three years! I got smart in year four and I tried hiring a professional that my associate used with success and they lowered them about 12% with no problem! That pisses me off but at the same time it is nice to know that there are companies that are doing this for homeowners. I was trying to be cheap and not pay the 25% fee and in the long run, it cost me over $2,000 for three years. Their email is info@lakecountyappeal.com and I would highly recommend talking to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs