Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2020, 12:23 PM
gag gag started this thread

683 posts, read 1,421,448 times

Advertisements

My wife is a nurse being transferred to a facility in Mokena to work with covid patients next week. I'm retired, and we decided to move nearby since we have family near there. Our problem seems to be our budget is about 350K, and I'd like less stairs now. I see the LW schools are good, and there are a few houses to see right now but not much. I'll read more in the forums, but I have no idea if Mokena can be a good investment or not so please tell me any info. you can about it. We can live in any suburban town, and only go in to Chicago infrequently. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 03:18 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,088 times
Why not rent first to get a feel for the area then look at permanent housing?

Old 04-06-2020, 12:54 PM

529 posts, read 647,257 times
Frankfort seems nice. I know the LW schools had a lot of financial issues in the recent past, not sure if that's still an issue or not.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
My wife is a nurse being transferred to a facility in Mokena to work with covid patients next week. I'm retired, and we decided to move nearby since we have family near there. Our problem seems to be our budget is about 350K, and I'd like less stairs now. I see the LW schools are good, and there are a few houses to see right now but not much. I'll read more in the forums, but I have no idea if Mokena can be a good investment or not so please tell me any info. you can about it. We can live in any suburban town, and only go in to Chicago infrequently. Thank you
Orland Park has a lot of good schools, but my understanding is that there is not a whole lot there in terms of ranch houses. I had a coworker buy a few years ago and she said she really struggled to find something. I have a few coworkers who live in Frankfort and New Lenox with school aged children and they generally seem happy with the schools.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 AM

Thank you all. Yes, ranches are very tough and this is the land of split levels.

We actually live 20 mins away now in Oak Forest and she could easily commute, but we'd like to move out of a split now anyway. I just don't know much about the Mokena area or areas west to us other than Orland Park. I've been looking in OP and Tinley but they don't have much in our range. I also have asthma so I'd like to stay away far as I can from farmlands.

I need to learn more about Frankfort, New Lenox, and even Homer Glen. Are any young families still moving to these areas we mentioned. I'm trying to get a sense where would be the best place to drop 350K on a house near here.

Last edited by gag; 04-08-2020 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Frankfort seems nice. I know the LW schools had a lot of financial issues in the recent past, not sure if that's still an issue or not.
Thank you, I'll look into the current LW financial issue you mentioned.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Thank you all. Yes, ranches are very tough and this is the land of split levels.

We actually live 20 mins away now in Oak Forest and she could easily commute, but we'd like to move out of a split now anyway. I just don't know much about the Mokena area or areas west to us other than Orland Park. I've been looking in OP and Tinley but they don't have much in our range. I also have asthma so I'd like to stay away as I can from farmlands.

I need to learn more about Frankfort, New Lenox, and even Homer Glen. Are any young families still moving to these areas we mentioned. I'm trying to get a sense where would be the best place to drop 350K on a house near here.
My coworkers in New Lenox have school age/preschool age kids. They seem very happy. Homer Glen has *very* expensive water, so you need to be careful about that. I am talking $300-400 a month for a regular house. Any savings you get going there would be eaten up by water bills. Just keep in mind that the options might improve once this crisis is over and we really get the spring offerings. Usually this time of year is low, and you might find more in Tinley and Orland. That said, they do tend to lean heavily toward splits or very tiny, outdated ranches. I had another friend who ended up giving up on the area entirely because she did not like what she was able to find in her price point, which I can assume based on what we make, is probably comparable to yours.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My coworkers in New Lenox have school age/preschool age kids. They seem very happy. Homer Glen has *very* expensive water, so you need to be careful about that. I am talking $300-400 a month for a regular house. Any savings you get going there would be eaten up by water bills. Just keep in mind that the options might improve once this crisis is over and we really get the spring offerings. Usually this time of year is low, and you might find more in Tinley and Orland. That said, they do tend to lean heavily toward splits or very tiny, outdated ranches. I had another friend who ended up giving up on the area entirely because she did not like what she was able to find in her price point, which I can assume based on what we make, is probably comparable to yours.

All good info., thank you. I'll skip Homer ty. I hope ur right about after this virus more inventory.

It's amazing really. Even giving up just ranches, with the low profile splits that have 6 up 6 down stairs, we couldn't find more than a handful houses (that sold fast) that was clean and somewhat updated in our range in a desirable location in TP or OP. I saw a house for 269K in Frankfort Square but it wasn't for us. I'll look in the 300+ range in Frankfort and take a look at NL. There is a step ranch 4 blocks from the train in Mokena, but I have no idea if that's a desirable pocket where people buy to commute to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs