Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 03:49 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR84 View Post
Are there defined parts of Naperville that are unincorporated?
One I know of is Steeple Run neighborhood. We lived there for 15 months. Naperville schools and address. Lisle park district and library. It's a decent neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 06:14 PM

9 posts, read 14,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
One I know of is Steeple Run neighborhood. We lived there for 15 months. Naperville schools and address. Lisle park district and library. It's a decent neighborhood.
We're trying to avoid unincorporated areas. Some of the listings on Realtor or Zillow don't specify clearly. I'm just trying to educate myself to know what to avoid.

Old 12-20-2018, 06:51 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times
Quote:
We're trying to avoid unincorporated areas. Some of the listings on Realtor or Zillow don't specify clearly. I'm just trying to educate myself to know what to avoid.
Sometimes you can tell by the address, like if it’s 23W something something. I know there are areas of Naperville with normal looking addresses that are unincorporated (I think Huntington Estates, for instance). I know Redfin tends to list if unincorporated. Hopefully your realtor can find you that answer.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:13 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Redfin usually gets it right if you go to a listing and look at Property Details>School / Neighborhood, Utilities, Financing, Location Details>Location Information>Corporate Limits. Unincorporated areas aren't necessarily bad. In my area, unincorporated areas with Winnetka addresses (Woodley Road Association and Indian Hill) are very desirable. Looking at their taxes, they don't seem to get much in value.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Redfin usually gets it right if you go to a listing and look at Property Details>School / Neighborhood, Utilities, Financing, Location Details>Location Information>Corporate Limits. Unincorporated areas aren't necessarily bad. In my area, unincorporated areas with Winnetka addresses (Woodley Road Association and Indian Hill) are very desirable. Looking at their taxes, they don't seem to get much in value.
Thanks for the tips! What do you feel are the advantages and disadvantages of being in an unincorporated area? The biggest thing I've heard is that the water is usually well water, any truth to that?

Old 12-21-2018, 12:55 PM

196 posts, read 302,426 times
Unincorporated areas will typically have well water and septic tanks as opposed to municipal water/sewer systems. You may also have to pay additional fees for library access or park district stuff, as that may not be included in your property taxes. And maybe rely primarily on county sheriff vs local (town/city/village) cops. Maybe different service providers for trash/electric service than the neighboring town.

They will also typically have looser zoning regulations (double-edge sword there, methinks), perhaps easier to find bigger lots, probably no sidewalks.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePO View Post
Unincorporated areas will typically have well water and septic tanks as opposed to municipal water/sewer systems. You may also have to pay additional fees for library access or park district stuff, as that may not be included in your property taxes. And maybe rely primarily on county sheriff vs local (town/city/village) cops. Maybe different service providers for trash/electric service than the neighboring town.

They will also typically have looser zoning regulations (double-edge sword there, methinks), perhaps easier to find bigger lots, probably no sidewalks.
Good list. I did see homes in unincorporated areas of Naperville with Lake Michigan water back when I moved here, though they are likely missing some other local services like police, library, etc.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:22 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times
Make sure if you need to park at the Metra, that you will be able to get a spot. From what i read, seems like parking at a couple of those stations has a VERY long waiting list and you might not get a spot.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Make sure if you need to park at the Metra, that you will be able to get a spot. From what i read, seems like parking at a couple of those stations has a VERY long waiting list and you might not get a spot.
The wait list is about 7 years for Metra. Until your number gets called, it’s best to either get there early enough to get Daily Fee parking, but close enough to a Pace Bus line that goes to the station, or get a ride from a reliable friend.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
The wait list is about 7 years for Metra. Until your number gets called, it’s best to either get there early enough to get Daily Fee parking, but close enough to a Pace Bus line that goes to the station, or get a ride from a reliable friend.
About 7 years, that's insane! Fortunately, I work from home and my wife commutes to Hinsdale for work.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs