Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 21,701 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job downtown so we are moving from Virginia soon. I went to school at NU, so we feel most at home in the northern suburbs. My parents live in far northwest Huntley. We are trying to settle on a suburb that would offer a somewhat short train commute to downtown, yet not be too far of a drive to my parents -- and STILL be somewhat affordable and have great schools. Any suggestions? A trip to scout suburbs a month ago left us with a great liking for Northbrook -- Arlington Heights, ok -- housing, to me, seems cheaper in Barrington. Is Barrington too far out for a reasonable commute downtown? Thanks for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 02:40 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,350,066 times
Barrington is not cheap. But I can tell you its a great town, great metra service and the commute is not bad at all on metra, in my opinion. its also pretty easy drive to huntley.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:57 PM

92 posts, read 446,110 times
I work in Northbrook, and I work with a couple people who live in the city and commute to Northbrook. I'm guessing it would take you an hour to get downtown (by car, not too sure on how long by train). I live in the Algonquin area, which is not too far from Huntley, and it takes me an hour (with light traffic) to get to Northbrook. So, I'd say your parents would probably have an 1 hour and 15 min commute, maybe, to Northbrook.

I'd also have to say that Barrington to Chicago would prob be an hour commute by train.

Old 12-15-2006, 08:57 PM

38 posts, read 296,272 times
Post Commuting From/To Barrington Takes More Time Than Northbrook

chicagojenny,

It takes longer to get downtown via train or car from Barrington than from Northbrook. To get an exact fix on the difference by train I'd recommend you go to the METRA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) website. I think you might be able to download their timetables. As for which suburb is better, both are pretty good. It's definitely quicker to get to Huntley from Barrington than from Northbrook. From Northbrook you either have to take I294 south to I90 northwest (junction at O'Hare) or take Lake Cook Rd west to Rt 53 south to I90 northwest. I'd recommend getting detailed maps of both areas. Maps really help to put things in perspective.

Housing might be just a little more expensive in Northbrook, especially on the east side. It's one of those areas famously pilloried by preservationists for allowing small houses on big lots to be torn down and replaced with a McMansion. Know all about this. Sister just built one of those McMansions in east Northbrook. The tear-down 3BR ranch on .8 acres cost $700k not including demo 3.5 years ago. Now would cost $900k+ if you could even get your hands on it, which you can't because you've got to KNOW somebody to get such a place. They never hit the market. Took my sis 10 years to get hers. West Northbrook is less expensive. You can get a good house for around $650k - $750K. Hanukkah, not Christmas, celebrated in west Northbrook schools.

Barrington is quite nice. A little further out and a little less expensive, but marginally so. More BOT and Merc traders in Barrington. More lawyers in Northbrook. More Christmas spirit in Barrington, too.

Best to get a knowledgeable real estate agent in each community and have a good look around. Quiz them thoroughly about all aspects of the community important to you. It's really a matter of personal preference. Both are very fine communities.

Good luck on your move!

Old 12-16-2006, 03:26 AM

65 posts, read 295,290 times
Barrington is not cheap, but a great place to live. Metra station is downtown. About a 30/40 minute ride to Huntley.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:28 PM

3 posts, read 21,701 times
Thanks for the input! Now I have some more questions: what about the difference between Northbrook/Glenview/Deerfield -- are there any? and what is Vernon Hills like? From reading other postings, I'm starting to get a little scared of Barrington -- sounds pretty hard core -- 'driving Hummers and comparing rocks on fingers' -- scares me a bit. I was actually raised in Central IL and want to live somewhere I can raise my kids with those Midwest values!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:23 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,350,066 times
I think North Shore communites are more into bragging, Barrington is more "old money" types, though I think new people moved in and started the bragathon. Mostly, people are pretty modest and like to set their expensive homes away from the road, behind trees...if you know what I mean. Most people are private but very community oriented.

Vernon Hills is a nice area, lots of shopping, more diverse than Barrington.

Northbrook and Deerfield just dont do it for me, but that is partly because I think there is too much "in your face" kind of people there...in my experience and not so much to brag about.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:34 AM

92 posts, read 446,110 times
The North Shore is just a whole diff atmosphere, if you ask me. I think Vernon Hills is a good area, and if I'm not mistaken, the school district there is quite good. As far as Glenview, Deerfield, etc, those are all part of the North Shore.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:45 PM

20 posts, read 84,263 times
Vernon Hills is a good town. Out of all the north suburbs, it has the look of a "new look suburb" (lots of big shopping centers, new subdivisions, large growth). I would suggest looking at Greggs Landing (new development).

If you want a town that has more of the north shore feel, i would suggest Libertyville. Granted there are stuck up people in this town but there are also a lot of people who have these "traditional midwest values". Another incentive is that there is a convenient train that can take you to Chicago in an hour.

Deerfield and Glenview are pretty solid places to live as well with a shorter drive to the city. The Glen looks like a very interesting neighborhood.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:52 PM

11 posts, read 66,344 times
ChicagoJenny,

Just moved to Barrington from Las Vegas... My wife is from Northbrook so we originally looked in the NorthShore area. One day we were visiting some of her friends in Bloomingdale and Made a stop in Barrington on the way back up to the NorthShore and immediately fell in love with the Barrington area. The negativity about Barrington being made up of snobs is not from people who actually live in Barrington -- the actual people who live in Barrington are very community orientated. For the overall "Big" picture we thought the best value was in Barrington and we looked for over 6 months before making the final decision...... And we don't regret it one bit...... The NorthShore is great if you can afford a home on the lake... but if you can't get waterfront or even views of the waterfront, what's the point for paying so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs