Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Mike -- i would try to contact someone within either your EZ Pass or Ipass to find out for sure.

I know our Ipass'es are for whatever License Plate is registered to each transponder.

We have 2 for 5 vehicles ... myself and my oldest use the Toll system the most, so we get the transponders in our car... but if my youngest needs it, he will take mine ... his car is registered to transponder.... this is for theft purposes, from what i hear.
It's also for "virtual tolling" purposes. When they snap a license plate number of a car zipping through a booth or an open tolling lane and the system doesn't detect a transponder, the first thing they do is check the plate against the database of license plates registered to I-Pass accounts. If it matches an account, they just deduct it from that account (though it usually doesn't get deducted for months afterward). If it doesn't match an account, they send out a violation notice to the address to which the plate is registered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 10:52 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's also for "virtual tolling" purposes. When they snap a license plate number of a car zipping through a booth or an open tolling lane and the system doesn't detect a transponder, the first thing they do is check the plate against the database of license plates registered to I-Pass accounts. If it matches an account, they just deduct it from that account (though it usually doesn't get deducted for months afterward). If it doesn't match an account, they send out a violation notice to the address to which the plate is registered.
The two I have I believe are registered to cars I no longer own. As long as the State gets their money they don't care

Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
I've used my I-Pass in multiple cars and never had a problem. I've done the same with an EZ Pass out East.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
The two I have I believe are registered to cars I no longer own. As long as the State gets their money they don't care
They'll care if the transponder doesn't work one day and you're in a car with a plate not registered to your account. You'll care too because it will cost you $20 per infraction.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:41 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Drover -- this is true to an extent.

We have 5 cars, all registered with the Toll system under 2 transponders.
3 cars are listed under the one that stays in my car.
1 car is my youngest sons, he rarely takes the tollway [if he does, i give him mine to use]
the 3rd car is my "summer car" that I did not even take out last year. I've probably used it once with the IPass.

the second transponder is in my oldest sons car ... he uses 355 daily for school and work. DH's car is listed under that one too, but he avoids the Tolls because he hates the whole idea.... [yet another story]

SOOO, in the past 2yrs or so that we have been forced to use these things [due to the doubling of tolls if you don't have them] There have been a few times that one of our vehicles have gone thru the tolls without a transponder in the window. [like when we all drive to Wisc and take 2-3 cars]

The first letter came in Nov [thanksgiving weekend] for DH's car
Last week, one letter for my youngests car and mine. [2 letters in one week] All of which are registered in the system.... yet all of us got letters stating we owe XX of dollars for zipping thru the tolls... yadda yadda.

PLUS the dates on these offensives were from summer of 2006 & 2007. So they are very back logged....

so, all i'm saying here is, even though your car may be registered, if there is no lil box in the window, sooner or later, you will get the "bill" in the mail.

one not so quick phone call takes care of it... but good luck getting thru on weekdays.

Soooo -- can Mike use his EZ Pass in a rental, possibly. Will he be tracked for using a transponder for a car not registered to his box, possibly... but yet again, he could talk his way out of it stating that he did pay those tolls in said rental car, so as long as the State gets their money, all is good.

I for one would try to contact someone at either IPass or EZ Pass to find out what the policy or ramifications are.

it's a very imperfect system.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs1366 View Post
Soooo -- can Mike use his EZ Pass in a rental, possibly. Will he be tracked for using a transponder for a car not registered to his box, possibly... but yet again, he could talk his way out of it stating that he did pay those tolls in said rental car, so as long as the State gets their money, all is good.

I for one would try to contact someone at either IPass or EZ Pass to find out what the policy or ramifications are.
Nah, he won't be tracked for using a transponder for a car not registered to his box. Like someone said earlier, as long as they get their money, they don't care. It's only when the pass does not register that they start looking into the license plate number and taking action.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:58 AM

25 posts, read 108,440 times
Just FYI to all who do not have there plate number registered to there IPASS. I didn't and out of no where I recieve a bill for $400. Its just a quick call and I think you can do it online. Just register your car to the IPASS.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,542 times
Default rockford tolls

I just ran a toll in rockford, IL on the East riverside exit and I really need to know what the plaza/toll name is so that I can pay it online Ive never taken that route before so that toll was completely unexpected...please help

Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,922 times
Here's the link to plaza numbers and rate.
Tolls Rates (http://www.illinoistollway.com/portal/page?_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL&_pageid=133,149518 5 - broken link)

Old 09-16-2008, 06:51 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,838 times
I find the biggest controversey here is what type of bed & breakfast exists in algonquin and why on earth would someone travel hundreds of miles (thru tolls even) to stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs