Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 12:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,318 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have spent the last 10 years living in NYC. We moved to Chicago a year ago (currently renting downtown) and have a 2 year old. We both enjoy city life but ultimately need more space and have started to think about schools.

My husband works close to Bronzeville, I travel a lot of for work (so we need to be close to an airport) and also relatively close to public transportation/taxis/ubers etc as I don't drive (working on it!)

Based on our lifestyle and personalities my husband's family (who all live in Chicago/Suburbs) have pointed us in the direction of La Grange/Western Springs.

Looking at houses and schools online - these suburbs look good but I am concerned about diversity for our mixed race child (I'm black, husband is white) and for us as a family. Coming from NYC we're used to the hustle and bustle in a 'melting pot' but also understand the suburbs will not be that diverse or action packed.

As we have little to no existing friendships here, acceptance and community are just as important to us as activities/socializing, housing and excellent schools are. I'm totally lost and feel like I'm running around in circles!!

Any advice / recommendations / thoughts on La Grange being the right fit would be GREATLY appreciated.
THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 07:31 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,365 times
You seriously got great recommendations. I champion for LG all the time but you cannot go wrong with either regardless of which you end up in - you will frequent both as they are super close sister communities.

So we live downtown La Grange - between stone and la grange stations. We are also a young family with a 4Y and 2y old. Lived here for about 4 years now. We hang out downtown la grange all the time with our kids and constantly enjoy the amazing events: pet parade, summerfest, skeletober, etc... the town is so fun for keeping a life with kids...

We uber/metra downtown all the time for parent getaways with neighbors. Still quick (20min) and cheap. Its a a kool younger family community still connected to the big city. You wont lose that integration here...

On your diversity concern - it is a nonissue... our nextdoor neighbors are an american wife with husband who is Indian so blended. Across the street we have a white family with an adopted black child mixed with 2 other white kids. On the other block we have a german immigrant married to a girl from mexico. The burbs in general will be nowhere near the level of a huge city but you have nothing to worry about.

If you are looking for economic diversity - that honestly is the challenge. These towns are in the gold corridor. Gold corridor = la grange, western springs, hinsdale, Clarendon hills. They are especially expensive and few can afford the houses/taxes... but you coming out of NYC it may not be so bad...

La Grange is a bit more exciting/busy while Western Springs is more quiet. We also searched both but preferred the more vibrant downtown in la grange. It felt more hybrid urban if that makes sense. Its a best of both worlds/blend.

Search these forums for la grange and western springs you will see tons of info on these towns.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 AM

PS when you visit the two here are the most important recommendations –> food and drinks...

For breakfast:
In LG do Prasino
In WS do Solstice

For Dinner:
In LG do Nicksons(American) Kama(Award winning Indian) SteakVine(Steak) fourteensixteen(american craft, very trendy) Luccas(Italian)
In WS do Davanti(Italian) Vie (5 star, expensive)

For Drinks:
In LG do Barrell House, Wild Monk
In WS do Hillgrove Tap

And For coffee in LG go to owl and lark.

If in LG and you want a fun lunch do cheesies to grab a killer big city grilled cheese and beer...

Last edited by JJski; 01-06-2018 at 08:35 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed insights and recommendations. This is super helpful.
Forgive my ignorance but in terms of La Grange Park and La Grange is there a big difference? They appear quite close on the maps...

Old 01-06-2018, 12:15 PM

748 posts, read 833,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnm2 View Post
Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed insights and recommendations. This is super helpful.
Forgive my ignorance but in terms of La Grange Park and La Grange is there a big difference? They appear quite close on the maps...
You'll get more for your $ in la grange park - it's not considered quite as nice. Be sure to look at school boundaries. You are also not always in walking distance of the train in LGP. Over all, either will be a good choice, with La Grange fully established, and LGP a place that people are hoping to get into because if the schools and proximity to La Grange.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 PM

The Pristeage is in being in western springs or la grange - but u pay for it...

If you look in LGP (where you can save on house and taxes) look only at secret location north of Ogden, South harding, west lagrange road. I think technically its known as the harding woods district.

Also stay north of 47th even in LG to get the absolute best pin point location.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:48 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Besides La Grange, you might also look into Oak Park which is closer in and nearer to the city and more urbanized.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times
Curious... where did you live in NYC? What sort of environment in NYC did you like?

Western suburbs of Chicago may be a bit of a shock.... maybe...

Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Nolita/ Soho / Tribeca and finally Fidi. Predominantly downtown. I *think* we’re prepared for the shock of suburban life.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 3,868 times
Consider the Flossmoor area. Good schools, architecturally significant homes, walk to the train (which services Bronzeville), easy drive to Midway and very, very diverse (we are a mixed race family as well, and Flossmoor/Homewood has one of the highest population of mixed race families in the Chicago area). The community is pretty fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs