Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
That's how it was for me growing up in Park Forest and a lifetime of schooling where black kids clearly outnumbered white kids. Although obviously not to the same degree as Maywood.
If Maywood ever could make a recovery, it'd be amazing. The few times I've ever passed through it on the bus and/or while driving, it just looked like a very depressing and poor suburb. Although some of the architecture in it looked amazing, when I recently(and something I'd wanted to do for ages) checked out some of its residential areas on Google Street View.

And as for Park Forest, even though it's been majority black for years, isn't it still something like 15-25% white? I recall looking up stats for some of the south burbs on the Census' website several years back(may've been after Census updated some communities in 2007, and was hoping more communities would've been updated, though most still only showed 2000 data not surprisingly), and I thought PF was one of the south burbs I looked up. But can't remember many of the ones I did a search for anymore, other than Chicago Heights.

Ah, it'll be so great when the 2010 Census data comes out in December.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:11 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan617 View Post
If Maywood ever could make a recovery, it'd be amazing. The few times I've ever passed through it on the bus and/or while driving, it just looked like a very depressing and poor suburb. Although some of the architecture in it looked amazing, when I recently(and something I'd wanted to do for ages) checked out some of its residential areas on Google Street View.

And as for Park Forest, even though it's been majority black for years, isn't it still something like 15-25% white? I recall looking up stats for some of the south burbs on the Census' website several years back(may've been after Census updated some communities in 2007, and was hoping more communities would've been updated, though most still only showed 2000 data not surprisingly), and I thought PF was one of the south burbs I looked up. But can't remember many of the ones I did a search for anymore, other than Chicago Heights.

For whatever reason you choose to accept, the public schools have always been more black than the town's population. At least in my lifetime. And anyway, I lived on the north side of Park Forest so prior to high school (2001-2005), I attended public schools in Olympia Fields, Park Forest and Matteson.

15%-20% white? Maybe. I'd be interested in finding out the current racial demographics. It depends on what Park Forest neighborhood you're in..

Last edited by urza216; 10-12-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-12-2010, 10:01 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan617 View Post

2006-2008 ACS estimates Park Forest at 35% white.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:18 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,372,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
2006-2008 ACS estimates Park Forest at 35% white.
Thanks 60426. I was thinking after I posted this(and though I didn't edit my post) that the percentage might be closer to 25% white. Interesting PF is still 1/3 white, that's more than I thought it would be.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:20 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Thanks 60426. I was thinking after I posted this(and though I didn't edit my post) that the percentage might be closer to 25% white. Interesting PF is still 1/3 white, that's more than I thought it would be.
White people seem to be more concentrated in the southern part of town near the Thorn Creek Nature Center and the Co-Ops. One of my best friends is prabobly the last whiteboy who still lives in the Eastgate subdivision.

Last edited by urza216; 10-13-2010 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Yes it is. The south suburbs experienced rapid demographic changes in the last 10 years. South Holland was hit hard with white flight,went from 43% in 2000 to 20%(2006-2008 ACS). My sister was thinking about moving to South Holland or Cal city a few years ago and we seen a lot of for sale signs. Despite the name, SH Dutch population is most likely below 10% now.

Though PF is estimated to be a third white, it never fails that the schools show a different number. But I wonder how PF managed to maintain a third of its population White?

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 10-13-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 08-16-2011, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
I've bought one of the magnificent large homes in Maywood 10 years ago, as did several neighbors I know--most of us came from affluent communities. While the town has its commercial challenges, the crime rate is actually very low the last few years and seems to be contained in a few pockets. Maywood has 17 homes on the National Register of Historic Places, which is an astounding number, and actually more than Oak Park if you exclude their districts. Many of the people moving here since the housing crisis of 08/09 are professional couples, a healthy mixture of white and black, and the gay community seems to have discovered what Maywood has to offer and are moving in as well. The housing stock is remarkable here as this was once an prominent community and there are some great deals to be had for those that want to invest. I have been saying this for a few years now, but see who is buying property and think the BIG rebound for the town is going to happen in the next 2-3 years. Perfect location between airports, right of all major highways, 15 minutes from downtown and large homes on huge lots for low $$. As soon as a few restaurants and some businesses stake their claim, could be the next Elmhurst.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:52 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maywoodman View Post
I've bought one of the magnificent large homes in Maywood 10 years ago, as did several neighbors I know--most of us came from affluent communities. While the town has its commercial challenges, the crime rate is actually very low the last few years and seems to be contained in a few pockets. Maywood has 17 homes on the National Register of Historic Places, which is an astounding number, and actually more than Oak Park if you exclude their districts. Many of the people moving here since the housing crisis of 08/09 are professional couples, a healthy mixture of white and black, and the gay community seems to have discovered what Maywood has to offer and are moving in as well. The housing stock is remarkable here as this was once an prominent community and there are some great deals to be had for those that want to invest. I have been saying this for a few years now, but see who is buying property and think the BIG rebound for the town is going to happen in the next 2-3 years. Perfect location between airports, right of all major highways, 15 minutes from downtown and large homes on huge lots for low $$. As soon as a few restaurants and some businesses stake their claim, could be the next Elmhurst.
Umm, I think it's quite a stretch to suggest it could be the next Elmhurst. Over 90% of its current inhabitants would have to move out for that to be even remotely possible.

Maywood's demise brings me sadness. My grandparents lived and raised their children there. My mother is a graduate of Garfield and Proviso East (she graduated with Dennis Franz!). I still recall gathering at their beautiful victorian with the large elm and oak trees in the yard. Now the town is riddled with crime and dog fighting. Windows have bars on them or are boarded up. Properties are unkempt. It just makes me sad.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maywoodman View Post
The next Elmhust? Two words for why that won't happen: Proviso East. Maywood may have better days in front of it but the school district is a huge limiting factor.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:36 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
There is proviso math and science academy now.

I do see a lot of renovation in once abandoned 4-3 flats.

There's a sign saying Condos. Threre's another building being built that is supposed to open about 4 or 5 more buisness on Lake and 1st( Sidewalk entrance, not parking lot)

And supposedly a plaza too around 5th and Madison.

The thing is they can build all these things but people will just ruin it.

I can't see anyone buying a Condo on 5th and Madison. There's gangbangers by the dollar store and currency exchange all the time.

And **** keeps burning down.... last week an old building caught on fire that they where renovating. Not sure if it will be abandoned.

The nicest part of Maywood is the long stretch east of 5th avenue and most of the north of the train tracks.
that's where they should start fixing things.. and they are.
But the constant overspill of crime, drunks, bangers etc. could ruin it for people. The houses and lawns are well kept. It looks like any other middle class area... just the overspill.

Maywood has the potential to be another Forest Park...

If it wasn't ghetto... It'd be cool.

One thing that sucks about living in a black hood is the fact that every buisness is abandoned. God damn go down 5th ave. or Madison and there is NOTHING.

At least in Mexican hoods even if it's crime ridden or poor there are buisnesses.

I have to go to Oak Park, Foreest park, Melrose park just to get something to eat cus' Maywood doesn't have ****.

I got a lot more to say but I'll just stop here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs