Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:27 PM

720 posts, read 1,083,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
South Elgin is nice and you cannot go wrong with St. Charles or Geneva, but the thought of commuting downtown from any of those makes me cringe. Batavia is pretty nice too, but again the commute is cringeworthy. There's a Metra station in downtown Geneva so if you're set on that area, I'd look for something to rent as close to the train station as possible. Being able to walk to the train is a huge plus. Geneva and St. Charles are both awesome and you will not be disappointed in either town, but I'd also consider locations with a shorter commute. In addition to Naperville, maybe take a closer look at Wheaton or Downers Grove. There are some good schools there and it's a shorter commute.
Still wouldn't rule Batavia out. Better access to the expressway than STC by a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 06:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The mortgage on a $600,000 house would be $2,600 with 10% down before we even factor in taxes, which would probably add another thousand on top of that. But what the heck. I think the OP is going to have to spend a bit more than he planned to accomplish his objectives.
Lol, ya, my exact thoughts. I'm thinking we would be looking for houses sub 400k.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:42 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
I'd scrap those far off suburbs that are too far in my opinion to commute from, especially St. Charles does not have a train station. Elgin is not nice, Geneva is nice but again farther away than you need to be. I think you can find a house closer in. I'd look at places like Wheaton, Lombard, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Naperville, etc. They are better located, have more amenities and the transportation is better. I live in Wheaton, and I can get to each of the suburbs above in ten minutes or less. They have trains and regular stops and stations going into the loop. You might also want to look at Warrenville, or the part of Winfield that is in the Wheaton school district.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I'd scrap those far off suburbs that are too far in my opinion to commute from, especially St. Charles does not have a train station. Elgin is not nice, Geneva is nice but again farther away than you need to be. I think you can find a house closer in. I'd look at places like Wheaton, Lombard, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Naperville, etc. They are better located, have more amenities and the transportation is better. I live in Wheaton, and I can get to each of the suburbs above in ten minutes or less. They have trains and regular stops and stations going into the loop. You might also want to look at Warrenville, or the part of Winfield that is in the Wheaton school district.
My wife loves wheaton but I'm pretty sure our budget wouldn't work in such a suburb... as it stands(at least my wife assumes it would be too expensive). The thing is we own a 3 bedroom town-home now. But long term we would definitely need a house with 4 bedrooms and a decent yard for our two year old to run around in. I'm not worried about being farther out near st. charles or geneva. If I can keep my commute at about an hour on the train then I'd be fine. The most we would be able to afford mortgage wise each month would be $1600 as it stands... that may change come next year but that's the max price point for now.

Last edited by Kluch; 10-01-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 01:13 PM

44 posts, read 54,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
My wife loves wheaton but I'm pretty sure our budget wouldn't work in such a suburb... as it stands(at least my wife assumes it would be too expensive). The thing is we own a 3 bedroom town-home now. But long term we would definitely need a house with 4 bedrooms and a decent yard for our two year old to run around in. I'm not worried about being farther out near st. charles or geneva. If I can keep my commute at about an hour on the train then I'd be fine. The most we would be able to afford mortgage wise each month would be $1600 as it stands... that may change come next year but that's the max price point for now.
Yeah, you’re not going to get all of those things on that money in the suburbs of Chicago.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:01 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
There are definitely 4 BR single family homes for sale in Wheaton & DG for less than 400k. Both would be great areas to live/good schools/metra access.

Just plug in a few particulars in zillow and see where you end up. Factor in small property tax increases.

Otherwise, you are looking at another town home perhaps. A decent sized 3 BR SFH might make more sense at your price point though. YMMV.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieparent View Post
Yeah, you’re not going to get all of those things on that money in the suburbs of Chicago.
Then what price point should we be expecting for such areas as st charles, geneva or batavia?

Old 10-01-2017, 03:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
There are still a few 4 beds in Wheaton priced under $1600/mo (mortgage + taxes).

26W485 Grand Avenue WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

This house backs up to the Prairie Path (Illinois Prairie Path - Founded in 1963) which makes a walk/bike to downtown Wheaton or the Metra station a breeze. I highly recommend Wheaton: outstanding schools, vibrant downtown, great park district, two Metra stations, easy highway access, and one of the safest towns in Chicagoland.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:24 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
Then what price point should we be expecting for such areas as st charles, geneva or batavia?
How would anyone necessarily know without having your specific financials? You are moving from a low COL area to a high one, so it's a guess beyond very basic generic mortgage/tax assumptions.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
There are still a few 4 beds in Wheaton priced under $1600/mo (mortgage + taxes).

26W485 Grand Avenue WHEATON, IL 60187 | Redfin

This house backs up to the Prairie Path (Illinois Prairie Path - Founded in 1963) which makes a walk/bike to downtown Wheaton or the Metra station a breeze. I highly recommend Wheaton: outstanding schools, vibrant downtown, great park district, two Metra stations, easy highway access, and one of the safest towns in Chicagoland.
Oh ya. That's not bad at all. Pretty nice place all things considered. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs