Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 03:40 AM

9 posts, read 42,284 times

Advertisements

Stay away from Island Lake and Round Lake if you dont want to live with a bunch of rednecks(but I hear this might be changing in Round Lake).Plus the commute to I-94 or Rt. 53 is alot longer if you live in those towns.Also if you want to bail from those above mentioned towns expect a very long time to sell your home.

It took my father in law almost 2 years to sell his home in Island Lake in the late 90's.Island Lake also sits on 2 counties(Lake and Mchenry) and in the mid 90's they passed a referendum to build a new school on the Mchenry Co. side.

The taxes doubled for the whole town in 95 or 96 I believe and the Lake county side paid for a school that only the Mchenry county children could attend.What a burn! If you had to choose between Round Lake and Island Lake though go with Round lake as the shopping is better and closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 12:10 PM

332 posts, read 632,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Junction View Post
Stay away from Island Lake and Round Lake if you dont want to live with a bunch of rednecks(but I hear this might be changing in Round Lake).Plus the commute to I-94 or Rt. 53 is alot longer if you live in those towns.Also if you want to bail from those above mentioned towns expect a very long time to sell your home.

It took my father in law almost 2 years to sell his home in Island Lake in the late 90's.Island Lake also sits on 2 counties(Lake and Mchenry) and in the mid 90's they passed a referendum to build a new school on the Mchenry Co. side.

The taxes doubled for the whole town in 95 or 96 I believe and the Lake county side paid for a school that only the Mchenry county children could attend.What a burn! If you had to choose between Round Lake and Island Lake though go with Round lake as the shopping is better and closer.
Thanks. We're actually looking hard in WI now. Ever hear of Salem? I'd enjoy living on a lake if possible.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM

28 posts, read 416,350 times
We've been living in Antioch for 12 years and still love it, although it's starting to feel more congested with recent residential development on RT. 173. I agree with Dingo regarding Island Lake and Round Lake; although Wauconda is a bit better. Salem or any other of the small WI border towns are not very impressive.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
You have to keep in mind that for their situation it's possible that a WI town like Salem might fit the bill. Everyone has different preferences after all. They're certainly going to pay a lot less for a lot more house and a lot more land than they'd get elsewhere such as in Lake County. I'm personally not one to live out in the country, but I know people that consider it paradise, and I think that's great that they found a living environment that they thrive in, yet are able to access jobs in such a lucrative metropolitan area such as Chicagoland. For example, I know someone that is very handy with building that is making the move from northwestern Lake County on up to Kenosha County in Wisconsin in a smaller town (west of I-94). And man he's gonna be getting his hands on a ton of land (many acres), and he's going to get to build his house (that's his expertise). For him and his family, they couldn't ask for a better deal. He can still have the benefits of solid job opportunities down in Illinois / Chicagoland while enjoying fine country living in Wisconsin. I personally and more of a city / suburban person so I'd probably be lost out there lol, but again I understand the perspective and I'm happy for this guy's family and their upcoming move. They're of course quite excited about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabiner View Post
We've been living in Antioch for 12 years and still love it, although it's starting to feel more congested with recent residential development on RT. 173. I agree with Dingo regarding Island Lake and Round Lake; although Wauconda is a bit better. Salem or any other of the small WI border towns are not very impressive.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,341,308 times
salem is nice, but hardly different from antioch and areas near the border in illinois. I dont own a home, but I hear the taxes in wisconsin are significatnly higher???

salem is much nicer (more crime free is what I mean) than kenosha or the towns near the lake you mentioned.

I dont know why people would suggest round lake over island lake. no, no no no no no. you want quality of life and good schools, do not move to round lake.

rednecks in island lake? i think if your from indiana you wont think so...no offense to indiana but island lake is pretty run of the mill normal mid-western town/area. round lake is getting scary with crime and gangs. I dont see this much in island lake and island lake actuall is near moraine hills and nice parks.

all these are opinions...and these are mine. but I grew up a town over from round lake, its known as "the other side of the tracks" though we do go there to shop

so, there you go.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:49 AM

Thanks Cruising. I grew up on lakes in MI and the two dirty resevoirs they have around me presently (North of Indy) just don't cut it...especially because unless you make a million a year, you can't afford a house on them.

My wife is more a new house/suburbanite type of gal, but I'd love to have an older more custom home with some character, as well as some privacy, mature trees and no HOA fees. And living on a lake would be the ultimate (followed by living off some heavy trees or woods). We'll see how it goes.

And RGB...NE IL taxes appear to be A LOT less than SE WI taxes (probably by a few thousand a year) by the research I've been doing lately.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:19 AM

antioch and lake villa/lindenhurt should have what your looking for. I dont think it would be worth going to salem because the difference would not be enough to justify the cost. though both of my siblings did move to areas you mention (salem and pleasant prairie) one has already moved back to illinois.

I also think that the drive would become an issue for your wife.

grayslake also has a nice small lake with nice homes with a nice downtown and a metra. I would also consider winthrop harbor, stay closer to gurnee than waukegan. (I said no before because I think you need to be selective in that whole area but there are some very beautiful homes there and a surprising amount of space)

dont let me talk you out of wisconsin though, its just that I would recommend going further west like lake geneva area but that would be so far to drive to lake forest.

overall I think you will do fine, a lot of people that dont like lake county are not from lake county and have never lived in it. I think it has something to do with pride.....I'm from lake county and I don't care for dupage county or the western suburbs. But I do like Mchenry county.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
antioch and lake villa/lindenhurt should have what your looking for. I dont think it would be worth going to salem because the difference would not be enough to justify the cost. though both of my siblings did move to areas you mention (salem and pleasant prairie) one has already moved back to illinois.

I also think that the drive would become an issue for your wife.

grayslake also has a nice small lake with nice homes with a nice downtown and a metra. I would also consider winthrop harbor, stay closer to gurnee than waukegan. (I said no before because I think you need to be selective in that whole area but there are some very beautiful homes there and a surprising amount of space)

dont let me talk you out of wisconsin though, its just that I would recommend going further west like lake geneva area but that would be so far to drive to lake forest.

overall I think you will do fine, a lot of people that dont like lake county are not from lake county and have never lived in it. I think it has something to do with pride.....I'm from lake county and I don't care for dupage county or the western suburbs. But I do like Mchenry county.
My Salem lake house is off the market now!

Hey, thanks for the info on Winthrop Harbor. No one has said anything good about it, but I have found several very nice looking homes on-line that I'd like to check out, but Im afraid too because everyone screams to stay far away from Park City and Waukegan. What is it about that area and Round Lake...hispanic gangs? Do they get nastier than a little graffiti or what? Hey...as long as my kids are safe, I don't mind some international flavor. We'll see what we find...SE WI, Antioch, Winthrop Harbor, Gurnee, Grayslake, Mundelein, Lake Villa, Lindenhurst...those seem to be the finalists of where we'll probably wind up. Though we may just rent for a year to sell our house first and learn the area.

Old 12-15-2006, 02:58 PM

okay...

when I say winthrop harbor I am really meaning more inland toward Wadsworth. That is a very nice area, I spent a lot of time there on a project for work, on every little side street imaginable. Wadsworth reminds me a bit of Barrington Hills in that there is a lot of space and horses, that kind of thing. Its easier commute to lake forest and shopping in Gurnee.

Waukegan is the county seat of lake county. Its an older city which has not benefitted from as much urban renewal as Chicago has. It still has that old, scary, desperate feel to it...downtown even. But there are some beautiful homes on sheridan, I guess lots of people did decide to stay despite high crime.

Going north toward Winthrop Harbor and Zion, is pretty simliar. And the lake there isn't that nice, though someimtes I go to illinois state beach or Winthrop Harbor has a small beach by the marina. Its just ok compared to other lake michicgan beaches. But I dont go much anymore. so I dont know if it has improved (doubt it). the last few times I went to illinois beach I was ...a little sad.

Round Lake.....this will go either way. It seems like it is starting to get better. For awhile it was growing out of control and yes, nastier than a little grafitti. But it seems to be going the way now of more suburban than scary. But, I dont appreciate it because it used to feel like a safe place, now at Kmart they check your bag when your leaving to see if you had stolen something. and....once I was waved ahead I think beacuse I am either not a teenager or because I look ok/white. I dont know.

Its not that its very hispanic, though it is. Its that I dont think they will have the schools you want, and if your coming from a high standard of living, making national ranks in magazines, round lake would be a real let down, I think. Though there are some nice inexpensive, newer places in the area if you know where to go, there are some neighborhoods there I would not live in, but if you go toward grayslake/libertyville (but still in round lake) there are some newer developments that I would consider.

I just want to give you realistic answers since your coming from out of state. It really is best to stay in the area for awhile and see how you feel, cause that is the most important!

best of luck

Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM

14 posts, read 77,911 times
Out of the towns you listed, I think Grayslake is the best choice. I grew up in the Grayslake area and moved back 20 years ago, when I got married. I commute to Bannockburn, the town that abuts Lake Forest to the South. My one way commute is between 25 to 35 minutes.

In your price range, you would currently be able to buy a very nice 4 to 5 bedroom, newer home with 3 car garage, finished basement, fireplace, good sized yard and large kitchen. Unfortunately you could expect to pay near $10,000 in property taxes.

The High Schools are very good. Extensive Honors and AP programs. Grade schools went through a tough period, losing several referenda and cutting programs. The programs have since been restored and the schools appear to be doing much better.

Lots of activities for kids. An aquatic center with water slides and beach volleyball, skate park, newer library, AYSO soccer, Little League Baseball and Colts football. Good Park District with parks in most neighborhoods, bike paths connecting the entire village, extensive athletic programs and a new field house opening this Spring and a baseball/softball/soccer complex opening later in the year. Indian Guides and Princesses are very popular for the younger, grade school kids.

There is a quaint, 2 block downtown. The downtown is in the process of redefining itself with little boutique shops. There are two grocery stores in town, many banks and pharmacies, lots of fast food places. There are a couple of nicer restaurants, but more are needed.

Little crime and no gang activity.

There are lots of churches and a synagogue in town.

Two commuter rail lines run through town, with two stations in town and another just outside of town.

All in all this is a great place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs