Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 08:09 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Schaumburg has NO Metra connections while Naperville is known for having the FASTEST express trains, easy choice over having to deal with tortuous car commute via Kennedy and NW Tollway!
Schaumburg does have a Metra station. On the Milwaukee District West line, to be exact. But in your defense, it's hidden away between a minor league baseball stadium and a residential subdivision. And the massive footprint of the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway nearly cuts off access to it. It's hard to find while driving past, and impossible to see from the surrounding streets, unless you specifically seek it out and/or follow the road signs. See: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9873...1195059,15.33z

To address the OP's question, I vote Naperville. It's not as auto-centric and has a vibe of actual history to it. As an added bonus, DuPage County taxes are somewhat lower.

Edited to add:
According to Wikipedia, the Schaumburg station opened in 1989. Not exactly a time period when public transit was "cool". Which possibly explains why it's so hidden away, almost looking like it was squeezed in as an afterthought. Especially when compared to older, better-established Metra stations.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-24-2017 at 08:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 10,935 times
I personally like Naperville better. Really cute downtown with nice restaurants. Schools are top notch. Extremely limited metra parking but pace buses service most neighborhoods & connect you to the station. I currently live in schaumburg and it is much more of a strip mall feel but the Indian population is very large. MANY Indian restaurants and a Patel brothers grocery store. Schaumburg easily has more townhouses and apartments than Naperville. Expressway access is better in schaumburg unless you choose north Naperville area . I would highly suggest spending a little time in both areas

Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,054,901 times
I took the Schaumburg Metra train to the loop (Union Station) many times while working. Isn't it still there anymore? And lots of parking too. Easy pleasant commute. Would never drive !!!!

Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I took the Schaumburg Metra train to the loop (Union Station) many times while working. Isn't it still there anymore? And lots of parking too. Easy pleasant commute. Would never drive !!!!
Sure it's still there. It's got the most parking of any station on that line. It's not near the center of Schaumburg. What is, the Pace Northwest Transportation Center. Sure, it only handles buses, but when I-90 is finished there will be provisions for express bus lanes. Not a good choice for loop commuting, but perhaps to Rosemont or OHare.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:41 AM

215 posts, read 151,458 times
You can consider Arlington Heights, which has best Train commute and frequency. Close to Sch and Malls. Lots of Indian restaurants. Huge Indian community. Naverville is nice, Indian concentration is around that area and spill over to Arora and West Mont. However, NW side has many nice towns with lots of Indian population. Arlington heights, Sch, Buffalo Grove, Mt Prospect, Wheeling, Vernon Hills, etc. All of them have Metra connection. But Arl Heights has best frequency and express trains.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:13 PM

817 posts, read 921,824 times
The Schaumburg station opened in 1982. I moved from the area in the middle of 1983 and had been using that station. It was a relief not to have to drive into Roselle and use the remote non-resident parking.

At the time, Springingsguth Road was extended from Irving Park Rd (State Route 19) to the tracks and parking lot. It is on the edge of Schaumburg, west of the airport. Roselle annexed the area south of the tracks.

I am not sure what the gauge is for determining when public transportation is considered "cool", but Schaumburg had wanted a train station for years, even if on the edge of town. A lot of Schaumburg residents who lived further east continued to use Roselle, but the new station provided access to a large area in the western reaches of Schaumburg.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:31 PM

459 posts, read 474,825 times
Either is fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs