Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 13,113 times

Advertisements

I think we have narrowed down our home search to La Grange and Park Ridge (also on our short list are Glenview and Elmhurst which have not been ruled out)...
Things that we are looking for are short commute into the city, good schools (especially elementary), and a walkable downtown area with a few shops and good restaurants. A suburb that doesn't feel so much like a suburb! Kid and family friendly areas and things to do with babies and kids are a huge plus.

Would greatly appreciate your comments especially pertaining to La Grange vs. Park Ridge which seem to have a near equal commute downtown. What is it like living in these places? Pros and cons? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 09:38 AM

11 posts, read 18,615 times
I also liked both suburbs but ended up ultimately in Elmhurst. While visiting friends in Park Ridge I was shocked at the airplane noise. Of course that could just be where they lived but we had to stop talking when outside. I think Lagrange has the best downtown. So many shops and restaurants. The only reason we didn't move there was that the style of homes that were available didn't appeal to me. I don't like the victorian type houses and that seemed to be what was most available at the time. Elmhurst had more traditional, colonial type homes and we also loved the town. Seems like you cannot go wrong with any of your choices but just wanted to offer up some of the factors influencing me when I was in your shoes.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:56 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I have taken the trains from BOTH Park Ridge and LaGrange and I know that you will have a few better express options from LaGrange. Mind you the differences are pretty minor but they can add up. Of course if the walk from Union Station to work is worse than the walk from OTC to work that would offset the train issue. Similarly if you can find a home that is bit closer to downtown Park Ridge that something that is farther from either of the stops that serve Lagrange that would offset things...

There are some additional factors that I do think are worth weighing too -- the relative range of employers that are an easy DRIVE from Park Ridge are probably better than the range of spots near Lagrange that are an easy drive. Not a HUGE difference but certainly something to factor if there is a possibility that you (or spouse...) would need to switch jobs.

When it comes the relative differences in Park Ridge vs Lagrange they mostly compare pretty well. There are probably some bigger differences comparing the overall "sub-region" that each town is part of. Objectively the relative desirability of towns to the west of Lagrange like Western Springs, Hinsdale / Clarendon Hills and other towns along the BNSF is very solid. Even Brookfield and Riverside sort of make for a really good "sandwich" to the east. The relative "business friendliness" of Oak Brook and Westchester are also pluses that work to help Lagrange, and no matter what happens with the redevelopment of the McDonalds offices it is pretty clear there is still a lot of value in the whole mall and other offices in the region...

To be sure there are other nice towns along the UP-W line but overall things get sort of spread out and the shifts in employment along the NW tollway have really made towns farther west less stable. Right now that is not the case with the firms further north along the Tri-State, but with so many dependent on pharma things might shift. Not that Barrington is going to become a ghost town even if / when Sears goes completely dead but considering the already noticeable step-down in desirability between Park Ridge and other towns served by the Maine Township High Schools like DesPlaines and parts of Morton Grove / Niles was recently talked about and might be factor especially with the shorts of issues that are already happening as Kraft and other employers in the sub-region are leaving... That sort of thing can also mean that there are shifts in value and tax burden that might rapidly make one area shoulder more of the costs.

Don't get me wrong, either town does offer some really nice choices and I don't see either place falling off a cliff anytime soon, but there are some tough to predict situations that might favor the longer term prospects of one sub-region over the other...

Old 05-04-2017, 10:10 AM

155 posts, read 213,056 times
What made you choose Park Ridge vs let's say Arlington Heights or other neighboring suburbs?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:28 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,111 times
Our Family also did the comparison 3.5Y back – below is what we thought back then… we also really liked Elmhurst as well…

For sake of your specific inquiry I will keep just to the 2: Both LG and PR have amazing historic character. This is a very important element because walking the nice neighborhoods is fun with kids when they have that charm - OLD Victorians, Craftsman's, FLW... Both are very family friendly… we moved here/LG with 1 8month old way back and now have 2, a 1Y and a 3.5 year old and still greatly enjoy the village, events and downtown...

La Grange is 10x as vibrant with events and active downtown scene IMO. FULL of restaurants and a few bars you can take kids to as there are tons of younger families doing same thing. BNSF is the superior railway in speed among all lines, from what I hear – but both towns are big city convenient really and your close in either selection… schools are better in La Grange (look at greatschools.org for example) but not to say PR is bad by any means…

La Grange also feels more hybrid suburban/urban (city grid style) some luv this feature and some hate it – so depends on your tastes. Park Ridge is more traditional burb. Park ridge has a much bigger foot print and an older median age range 45 versus 39 – neither is very diversified although many will say LG feels more liberal while PR is more conservative. LG felt younger for us when visiting both towns also prior to making our decision.

I disagree with Chet on the similarity point --- they might look very similar on paper but when you visit you can clearly feel the difference… sorry Chet

You will probably look at city data metrics next to look at the hard numbers like we did. LG will also win out there today for you as it did 3Y ago for us...

Below are recent LG RS stats: but really both towns are expensive…

La Grange 2017 Statistics
January 1 – April 30, 2017 45 homes have sold and closed
Sale prices range from $195,000 – $1,020,000 (be aware in walkable downtown areas, 300K is tear down price)
The average sales prices of these 45 homes is $573,249
The average market time is approximately 120 days

P.S. LG facebook page is 11K (https://www.facebook.com/LaGrangeIL/) while PR page is 1k (https://www.facebook.com/cityofparkridge/) likes... +LG even has an app - http://ahhhlagrange.mobapp.at/landin...p#.WQt8zPnythF...

Last edited by JJski; 05-04-2017 at 01:14 PM..

Old 05-04-2017, 05:07 PM

263 posts, read 567,584 times
I think that both towns are fairly close analogues, and I agree with the responses so far. However, I don't find much difference in the "feel" of the two towns, and I have seen plenty of young families mulling about the downtown areas at the various restaurants/bars in both towns. They are both family friendly towns, especially for those with younger children.

I tend to be skeptical of greatschools rankings. There may be some limited value, but the rankings seem incomplete/bizarre to me at times, and frankly it seems like a quick and lazy means of evaluating a school district.

I think it is also a matter of which "sub-region" you wish to be a part of. La Grange is in an attractive sub-region with amenities and nice Dupage county suburbs nearby, but Park Ridge also offers an easy ride to the suburbs west along the 90 and to the north/north shore area. There are a few interesting Chicago neighborhoods close to PR.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:52 PM

Thank you all for the thoughtful feedback! This is all exactly the type of info I was looking for. If I can pick your brains further I'd love to hear what you think about La Grange versus Elmhurst which is also becoming a top contender if we can find a home there within our budget.
I'm familiar with Arlington Heights and while it fits the bill in a lot of ways, it is beyond the distance my husband is willing to live from the city. Our compromise in city versus suburbs is a suburb that's very close to downtown.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Also, are any of these places vastly more or less dog friendly than the other?

Old 05-05-2017, 08:28 AM

529 posts, read 647,549 times
LaGrange has an annual Pet Parade the first Saturday of June every year, so LaGrange is certainly Pet friendy!

La Grange Pet Parade

Old 05-05-2017, 08:33 AM

768 posts, read 1,104,111 times
I think lg and elmhurst are much more similar and a harder choice...

In west suburban living (May 2017 issue, 20 top towns article) you will see lg and elmhurst neck and neck on every score and stat they reviewed... below is my oppinions but Honestly they are both solid choices.

- Elmhurst has the prarie path - LG has salt creek, prarie path hands down wins...
- LG has a solid historic district - elmhurst has historic homes but nowhere near LG Level...
- LG is much closer to city, 18min express or 30min train ride, 25$ uber, 20 minute car drive...
- Elmhurst has university - this adds to positive town energy...
- Schools great in both and both safe towns - your picking expensive areas...
- Both ultra family friendly...
- LG has more city/urban feel, elmhurst more tradional burb vibe. Win depends on taste here...
- LG wins in core downtown vibrancy but Elmhurst still fun...
- Both downtowns are well developed and well known...
- Both towns constantly get praise as destinations...
- Median age in elmhurst is 40 and 39 in LG...

Elmhurst has a bad flooding reputation - honestly this is a problem for all western burbs but elmhurst seems to get the brunt of the reputation...

I would advise visiting both on a nice saturday and feeling out the downtown, walk the neighborhoods then try and test the work commute. I actually think arlington heights and elmhurst are similar in city distance - not far but not hyper close either...

To me this is seriously a harder decision...

Last edited by JJski; 05-05-2017 at 08:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs