Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 AM

49 posts, read 99,174 times

Advertisements

The absolute most affordable suburbs that aren't dangerous, that is.

I'm from Northwest Indiana, so I'm familiar with some of the South Suburbs. Not looking to start a political debate, but I'd prefer to be on the Illinois side of the state line due to some of Indiana's socially conservative politics. Everyone on the Indiana side who hears me say I'd like to live in Illinois is like, "Bu-bu-bu-but, TAXES! Corruption! " This is probably because so many NWI residents were originally Chicago/South Suburban residents who fled from such things.

So, my expectations:
- Not super far out
- Not "the hood"
- Preferably more south/east (but flexible)
- Preferably 1950s or newer construction (again, flexible)
- Definitely under $100,000

That last one may sound like a lot to ask for, but consider that I'm looking for a starter home and have no kids. I don't care so much about desirability as long as it's not like Harvey, Ford Heights, Riverdale, etc. Being from NWI, I'm familiar with Gary, IN, so I don't scare too easily. I'd be very satisfied with a ranch or a relatively modest split level or Cape Cod. Luckily, the South Suburbs are some of the most affordable, too.

I've considered the following:
Lansing
certain parts of Calumet City
Blue Island
Midlothian
South Holland
Steger

My concern with a lot of the Cook County Suburbs is that they do have some high property taxes. Even Lansing can have $5000 or $6000 property taxes, making a home under $100,000 all the more imperative. While Homewood is often lauded as an "affordable," good suburb, it's probably out of my range for the most part. Blue Island is a neat, affordable town, and I see its property values going up in the future, but it tends to have an older housing stock.

What suburbs are reasonably safe, not super far from Northwest Indiana, and offer the most bang for your buck, when considering property taxes as well as home values? And remember, I'm not super picky! I would be looking for a house in reasonably good shape, and with a mortgage under $900 for sure when considering taxes and insurance. Is this feasible? I definitely want to own, but also plan to live on my own without roommates. It could easily be done in Hammond, IN, and even Griffith or Merrillville, but property taxes do end up being a major factor. Throw out the names of any towns you could think of. I assume South Suburbs are most affordable (plus geographically where I'd prefer to be), but if you know any super affordable suburbs in other parts of Chicagoland, throw that in too. Thanks!

Last edited by Griffland219; 04-24-2017 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:26 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
All those of towns are in STEEP decline. If you needed to rent because of a work situation it might be OK but to purchase, even at a low price, it utterly illogical -- the property taxes truly are grotesquely out of control for the value of the home and it is causing MASSIVE problems, depressing home prices / precipitately foreclosures. You'd basically be better off throwing your money into an incinerator...

BTW I would suggest that anyone that wishes to relocate across state lines because of "differences in political ideology" is badly out of touch with the reality of home ownership. Relocation to a foreign nation is probably a better strategy -- Guide to Moving to Cuba

Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Default There ARE certain issues that vary drastically across state lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
All those of towns are in STEEP decline. If you needed to rent because of a work situation it might be OK but to purchase, even at a low price, it utterly illogical -- the property taxes truly are grotesquely out of control for the value of the home and it is causing MASSIVE problems, depressing home prices / precipitately foreclosures. You'd basically be better off throwing your money into an incinerator...

BTW I would suggest that anyone that wishes to relocate across state lines because of "differences in political ideology" is badly out of touch with the reality of home ownership. Relocation to a foreign nation is probably a better strategy -- Guide to Moving to Cuba
I'm not fond of some things Indiana has done with the gay community, number one, as well as Planned Parenthood, and I'll leave it at that. It IS a very different scene in Illinois as far as what the state politicians will/won't do, and "political ideology" at the state level can indeed affect your life. Do I care about my neighbors' political ideology? Not a whole ton. My government's? Naturally, yes. Even then, I may be willing to purchase in Indiana in the shorter term if necessary, but I know where I want to be long term, and I'm very realistic. That is not out of touch with reality, and to suggest Cuba is overkill and clearly sarcastic.

Thanks for your input though. I realize most of the mentioned places won't be going up in value, and will likely decline, so you make an extremely valid point on what is financially smarter, and that is not overlooked. But I wonder if some may have already done the bulk of their their declining (I.e. Blue Island, which has improved in some ways), and renting a property out in the future is always an option. Any other cheap suburbs that are not in a "steep decline" would be appreciated.

I'd be looking for principal/interest (given typical rates), plus homeowners insurance, and property tax totalling $1000 or less a month. That is more than feasible in Northwest Indiana (I could put together any number of examples by looking at asking prices, tax history, and even "high balling" interest rates and homeowners insurance, and PMI, and I've done so when considering my budget purchasing in NWI), and surely possible in some "declining" Cook County Suburbs, regardless of property taxes, and I'd be curious if certain Will County Suburbs, etc., which I don't know as much about, have affordable homes as well as lower property taxes.

I don't believe I was being unreasonable here, and we all have our personal reasons for wanting to locate in certain states.

Last edited by Griffland219; 04-24-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Not really being sarcastic so much as trying to determine what state level issues impact you.

Social and employment issues are different than just politics -- if you identify as LGBTQIA you'd probably be dead or in prison in Cuba -- Fidel Castro

Moving across the state line is not going to magically improve your social options.

Not sure that there is real impact on Merrillville's Planned Parenthood clinic that would be any different than issues impacting the clinics in Roseland or Roger's Park, what sort of work do you do?

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/he...ter-2923-90500

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/he...=local-listing

https://www.plannedparenthood.org/he...=local-listing

There probably is not much to offer in the LGBTQIA lifestyle options in the south suburbs. If you look for an affordable place in Uptown, Edgewater or maybe even the South Loop you'll have to decide if the trade-off in commute is worth it, but at least you would social outlets near where you live and much less immediate threat of property devaluation and potentially working in Rogers Park Planned Parenthood clinic would be very convenient to the social offerings of the LGBTQIA community on the north side.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 AM

Thank you. Very good point about Cuba, and appreciate the LGBTQIA input. My apologies if I kind of misinterpreted. I may be willing to locate farther, and my current job is just a solid sales job, which would allow me to relocate A LOT of different places. May be looking to get into the social/psych/human services fields later, so certain locations probably would be better others. But what I do now is practical and stable. My primary reason for not wanting to locate super far is basically familiar surroundings/people, but I have some time, so I'll consider all kinds of options.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 AM

119 posts, read 154,728 times
I'm kind of perplexed by your decision to do this. You're familiar with NWI and the south suburbs, well the areas that you describe flow into one and another. Not only in terms of the scenery outside your car window, but also largely what people think and do. I know that is a very generalized statement, but a lot of people share the same viewpoints in NWI as is shared in the south suburbs from Cal City to Hammond, Lansing to Munster, Crete to St. John. As Chet mentioned, if LGBTQ is important what resources are there in that area that you cannont find in NWI? Could you organize and form a group to bring awareness where you are now in comparison to moving? Is this a matter of principle of your tax dollars?

A couple buddies and I rented a house that you described above a couple of years ago in Lansing near TF South. After we moved out they sold the home for $30k and the taxes were listed at $6k. I know you mentioned the 'bu-bu-but taxes' bit, but paying for your house in tax in 5 years is worrisome.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I would recommend Berwyn. The housing prices there are fairly reasonable and Berwyn is way better than the communities you mention. Its very close to Chicago and other suburbs. It is multicultural and has a growing gay population. Recent community elections have swept several gay city council members into office. It has great vintage housing stock. Prices are stabilized or rising as more people move from the city and find it affordable. Great transportation into Chicago. Its not the hood or ghetto. The housing stock is older but you can find a small house built in the 1950's. whether you can find one in your price range is questionable. Its pretty hard to find any kind of a house for 100 k in Chicago unless its in the ghetto or an extreme fixer upper. Here are a few examples of what you might find at a lower price point. You will note that most of the lower prices houses would take a substantial amount of work to bring them up to a livable condition maybe twenty or thirty thousand dollars...who knows. Only the one on Pershing is move in ready. The last one I post because if you can up your price range you can get something substantially better. Berwyn is about the lowest cost non south suburb I can think of there are probably some others but whether they would be safe to live in is questionable.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Berwyn/270.../home/14141717

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Berwyn/651.../home/14133478

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Berwyn/272.../home/14138435

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Berwyn/650.../home/14137346

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Berwyn/354.../home/14131202

Old 04-24-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
I'm kind of perplexed by your decision to do this. You're familiar with NWI and the south suburbs, well the areas that you describe flow into one and another. Not only in terms of the scenery outside your car window, but also largely what people think and do. I know that is a very generalized statement, but a lot of people share the same viewpoints in NWI as is shared in the south suburbs from Cal City to Hammond, Lansing to Munster, Crete to St. John. As Chet mentioned, if LGBTQ is important what resources are there in that area that you cannont find in NWI? Could you organize and form a group to bring awareness where you are now in comparison to moving? Is this a matter of principle of your tax dollars?

A couple buddies and I rented a house that you described above a couple of years ago in Lansing near TF South. After we moved out they sold the home for $30k and the taxes were listed at $6k. I know you mentioned the 'bu-bu-but taxes' bit, but paying for your house in tax in 5 years is worrisome.
I get what you're saying, and maybe moving across state lines isn't necessary after all, but I saw first hand what Mike Pence tried to do with his "religious liberty" laws, and it didn't seem to be a very LGBTQ friendly state during that time. I know states will try to implement certain laws based on their values, but perhaps that concern is moot at this point?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Berwyn even has a gay organization

Welcome to BUNGALO - Berwyn United Gay and Lesbian Organization

Here is another article. Its old but still remains true to its content. Probably even more gays in Berwyn now.

Berwyn pushes to attract gay community - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 AM

119 posts, read 154,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffland219 View Post
I get what you're saying, and maybe moving across state lines isn't necessary after all, but I saw first hand what Mike Pence tried to do with his "religious liberty" laws, and it didn't seem to be a very LGBTQ friendly state during that time. I know states will try to implement certain laws based on their values, but perhaps that concern is moot at this point?

Unfortunately he moved to bigger and better things... However, the strong reaction by those in the region as well as the other Indiana metro areas showed that a lot of people didn't agree with what had happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs