Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM

79 posts, read 264,442 times

Advertisements

I disagree with you ARAGX6. As a Realtor I personally would not even take the listing if I knew it was ridulously overpriced just to get the listing.

It would be a waste of my time and money to market it, knowing it would not sell. What kind of business is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoscinski View Post
I disagree with you ARAGX6. As a Realtor I personally would not even take the listing if I knew it was ridulously overpriced just to get the listing.

It would be a waste of my time and money to market it, knowing it would not sell. What kind of business is that?
I too am a Realtor and I see agents who know better, take seriously over priced listings all the time. In fact, a few of the most over priced homes in my area are owned by agents and they are 25% off the mark.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:42 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,787 times
Default Overpriced Listings

The vast majority of "ridiculously overpriced" homes have a realtor's sign in their front yard. By definition that means plenty of realtors are ready and willing to represent (and enable) delusional sellers.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:54 PM

20 posts, read 123,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I too am a Realtor and I see agents who know better, take seriously over priced listings all the time. In fact, a few of the most over priced homes in my area are owned by agents and they are 25% off the mark.
Middle-aged mom,

I have seen very over priced homes as well. So I am curious on how an experienced agent handles making an offer on a home that may be 10-15% overpriced.

I'm sure the answer depends on a lot of factors, but I'm just wondering on a very top level basic situation.
Do you come in 30% below and try to neg. up to real market value? Or perhaps just show comps and make a 1 time final offer at market value?
Something else?

Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman70 View Post
Middle-aged mom,

I have seen very over priced homes as well. So I am curious on how an experienced agent handles making an offer on a home that may be 10-15% overpriced.

I'm sure the answer depends on a lot of factors, but I'm just wondering on a very top level basic situation.
Do you come in 30% below and try to neg. up to real market value? Or perhaps just show comps and make a 1 time final offer at market value?
Something else?
It's a good question. It's all about timing.

It's impossible to defend a homes asking price based upon delusions.

Knowing the owner's motivation is critical. There are still plenty of sellers out there doing the " let's test the water" routine and they don't care if they sell or not.

There are sellers on the verge of foreclosure who persist in the belief that by asking more, they will get more and are entitled to make a profit .

And then there are buyers who really don't know the comps and perceive everything as being overpriced and lowball, hoping to hit pay dirt.

Most closed sales, in my area, are within 5% of the most current ask. The most current ask in somecases is 20%+ away from the original ask, therefore the road to closure is typically incremental price adjustments, over time.

I guess what I am trying to say is it's unlikely the facts are going to make much difference to someone, who at the moment, is so off the mark, in price.
If you have the time, wait it out or look elsewhere. These way out of the ball park priced homes do a terrific job selling the competition.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:41 PM

20 posts, read 123,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's a good question. It's all about timing.

It's impossible to defend a homes asking price based upon delusions.

Knowing the owner's motivation is critical. There are still plenty of sellers out there doing the " let's test the water" routine and they don't care if they sell or not.

There are sellers on the verge of foreclosure who persist in the belief that by asking more, they will get more and are entitled to make a profit .

And then there are buyers who really don't know the comps and perceive everything as being overpriced and lowball, hoping to hit pay dirt.

Most closed sales, in my area, are within 5% of the most current ask. The most current ask in somecases is 20%+ away from the original ask, therefore the road to closure is typically incremental price adjustments, over time.

I guess what I am trying to say is it's unlikely the facts are going to make much difference to someone, who at the moment, is so off the mark, in price.
If you have the time, wait it out or look elsewhere. These way out of the ball park priced homes do a terrific job selling the competition.

thanks Middle-aged mom for your answer.
It was informative.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,787 times
Default 2/28 Tribune article

I only just saw this and figure all you realtors already read it. However, it could be an eye opener for some sellers and buyers:

Chicago home sales plunge -- chicagotribune.com

At the very least, it helps to have some official numbers and not just speculation.

Bottom line: Sellers need to wake up and smell the coffee. Or, take their homes off the market and stop wasting everyone's time.

Good luck to everyone. Hold onto your hats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs