Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:46 PM

16 posts, read 71,120 times

Advertisements

Just curious. When people say "north shore suburbs" what towns are they meaning?

And tell me what you all know about Buffalo Grove. The good, the bad, positives and negatives about living there with children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM

702 posts, read 2,522,954 times
Hi Amy,
I would consider the North Shore suburbs starting with Evanston and heading north to Lake Forest or Lake Bluff. I would include Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest and possibly Lake Bluff.

I wouldn't consider Buffalo Grove a North Shore suburb. I don't know much about it having only driven through it and participated in the Buffalo Grove 5K/10K run which started at the community fitness center and went around neighborhoods and parks. Everything was clean and the houses were well kept in that area. Maybe someone who lives in the community will be able to give you more information. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,584 times
The good: excellent schools, great park district with tons of programs, lots of parks, has a Metra station to take you to Chicago
The bad: It's typical suburbia where you will have to drive everywhere. Traffic on many of the main roads during rush hour is a nightmare. The Metra only runs on weekdays and not very often. Most of the housing stock is from the '70s-'80s, and anything newer is really nice but VERY expensive.
Overall, it's a great place to raise a family, but there may be someplace better for you depending on what you're looking for in a town, and what your price range is for a house.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 PM

162 posts, read 803,291 times
Not North Shore, but a very nice area to raise a family.

Cali is right - I might also throw in Deerfield and Northbrook as part of the North Shore as well.

Positives of the North Shore are great schools, shopping, neighborhoods, businesses, housing, location - basically everything is great except traffic and home prices (home prices are great if you are there - great investment, but not great if you are looking to buy) - your money does not go very far there, but there are a lot of reasons that it is worth it for many people (not for me personally, but I can see why it appeals to a lot of folks).

That being said, there are a lot of other great areas in and around Chicago where there are excellent schools, low crime and you can get a LOT more house for your dollar.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 18,943 times
not north shore - but nice suburb - has a large jewish community - schools are good transportation into city is good - depends what you are looking for - house prices are md to hi level - not many new homes

Old 03-05-2008, 02:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Many Buffalo Grove residents would like to THINK they are part of the North Shore. Especially the Lake County side - biggest bunch of North Shore wannabes around!

I'm from Buffalo Grove, certainly not all, but there is a sublime feeling of people not being comfortable in their own shoes, the way they are in slightly more modest (Palatine, older Arlington Hts., or older money areas (Highland Park, etc.)

I am not prejudice or bigoted at all, and I know lots of laid back Jewish people that I am friends and acquaintances with, but there is something latent in the attitudes and lifestyle, of many (I'm not saying all!) in their culture thats puts a big emphasis on being status conscious and upwardly mobile.

Like I said, I'm not being stereotypical, I know many Jewish people who like the outdoors and are content with their ranch-stlye house built in the 70s. There just is a lot of those attitudes and lifestyles in and around Buffalo Grove

Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
I would not. That does not make it bad though. lol

Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
Not North Shore. It's too far west to be North Shore. It is nice though. The North Shore is Evanston, Wilmette, Glencoe, Highwood, Lake Bluff, Winnetka, Kenilworth, Highland Park, Lake Forest, Zion and Withrop Harbor. Some people consider Glenview and Skokie to be the North Shore, but that's debatable.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:26 PM

702 posts, read 2,522,954 times
I wouldn't think of Zion and Winthrop Harbor as North Shore - I wouldn't consider Skokie part of the North Shore either.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post

- I wouldn't consider Skokie part of the North Shore either.
Either would I but Skokie sure does consider itself a part of the North shore.

What part of the word "shore" did they miss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs