Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,608 times

Advertisements

Hello,

When I last asked what suburb might be good due to proximity, price range and family amenities, schools I was recommended Skokie and Niles, Skokie being the one posters thought was the better of the two. We spent some time in Skokie this weekend and my spouse didn't think it was a fit.

Now I've searched through threads and these towns tend to not get a lot of attention. But now I'm wondering is one better the other? Is one thriving more than the other? Have more young families? Better amenities? Any thing good or bad I should be aware of (besides the smaller homes)?

My spouse would be driving and parking at a CTA or Metra stop to get to work is that helps any.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,196,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatscake View Post
Hello,

When I last asked what suburb might be good due to proximity, price range and family amenities, schools I was recommended Skokie and Niles, Skokie being the one posters thought was the better of the two. We spent some time in Skokie this weekend and my spouse didn't think it was a fit.

Now I've searched through threads and these towns tend to not get a lot of attention. But now I'm wondering is one better the other? Is one thriving more than the other? Have more young families? Better amenities? Any thing good or bad I should be aware of (besides the smaller homes)?

My spouse would be driving and parking at a CTA or Metra stop to get to work is that helps any.

thanks
What makes it not seem like a fit? Is it the older/smaller homes, which is understandable. My wife and I went through a similar discussion last year. Unfortunately, there's only a handful of places within the desired commute to get to the Edgewater neighborhood at that price range.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,466,234 times
Morton Grove is the obvious choice with the metra stop. Although I live in Niles, I believe Morton Grove is a bit nicer. Niles is very blue collar not a ghetto by any means, but lacks a lot of ammenaties that desirable suburbs have.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:22 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,179,370 times
Morton Grove > Niles IMO. Skokie has a lot more apartments east of Skokie Boulevard, but overall I don't think there are any huge differences between Skokie and Morton Grove. Skokie is all over the place with housing whereas Morton Grove is almost entirely SFHs.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:19 PM

4 posts, read 5,608 times
Ok that is helpful. I had read other posters say Morton Grove is nicer than Niles. I just began to wonder since there have been some who mentioned that Niles was voted best place for families. I don't know who makes up these ratings and how accurate or inaccurate they may be but I thought maybe that designation would lure a lot more families and family like amenities.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:38 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,894,745 times
I second the notion that Morton Grove is better than Niles. It has a more traditional layout, with streets laid out in a grid and businesses lining major streets, rather than confusingly winding streets and malls in a sea of parking lots. The Metra station is a great bonus too. Morton Grove's demographics are more family-oriented, with mostly middle-aged adults (young adults, less so). Niles, on the other hand, gets lambasted for being half nursery, half nursing home.

If you go with either of these suburbs, stay east of Harlem Ave., to get into the Niles Township school district. Otherwise, you will find yourself feeding into Maine East, which is meh, as far as schools go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs