Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:06 AM

3,495 posts, read 2,183,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
That and nearby Wheaton addresses have similar travel times to I-88 as addresses across the tracks in central Lombard, Villa Park, Naperville, Downers Grove, etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.7...!4m1!3e0?hl=en

And Wheaton's stretch of I-88 is <5 mins from portions of I-88 in Downers, Lombard, etc, even during morning/evening rush.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/41.8...!4m1!3e0?hl=en

There's no validity to the suggestion that Wheaton (even north Wheaton) is somehow more removed from highways than comparably positioned addresses in other suburbs, and real world travel times on the highway are only 5-12 mins longer than from other desirable suburbs to the east (comparably positioned addresses in Downers, Hinsdale, Elmhurst, etc). And FWIW, it never takes me more than 10 mins to get to I-88.
Sorry, but I pulled a random home in north Wheaton and just this morning at 7am it showed 15 minutes to access I-88. Not bad, but also not "easily accessible." I consider <5 minutes "easy" access and parts of south Wheaton certainly fit this bill. Also, I would never suggest someone live in Downers, Hinsdale, Elmhurst, and certainly not Wheaton if they need to drive to the loop every day for work. Towns like LaGrange or Park Ridge are about as far removed as I'd want to be if I had to drive into the loop on a daily basis for a typical work shift at 7-9 am to 4-6 pm. Ideally, towns like Evanston and Oak Park would be even better.

Last edited by My Kind Of Town; 03-08-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 01:40 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Sorry, but I pulled a random home in north Wheaton and just this morning at 7am it showed 15 minutes to access I-88. Not bad, but also not "easily accessible." I consider <5 minutes "easy" access and parts of south Wheaton certainly fit this bill. Also, I would never suggest someone live in Downers, Hinsdale, Elmhurst, and certainly not Wheaton if they need to drive to the loop every day for work. Towns like LaGrange or Park Ridge are about as far removed as I'd want to be if I had to drive into the loop on a daily basis for a typical work shift at 7-9 am to 4-6 pm. Ideally, towns like Evanston and Oak Park would be even better.
I didn't say 88 was easily accessible from that address. I said accessibility from that address is the same as from comparably positioned addresses in Downers, et al. Wheaton is certainly not "less accessible" than any of the other towns in question.

I wouldn't drive from any town I could ride Metra from, and I wouldn't live in any town without Metra.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:57 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
One problem is the freight train problem that cuts through downtown Wheaton. If you have to get to the other side and get caught by a train there could be quite a wait.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:48 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
One problem is the freight train problem that cuts through downtown Wheaton. If you have to get to the other side and get caught by a train there could be quite a wait.
Again, reiterating my point from above, this is not specific to Wheaton. Same thing happens in Geneva, Downers, Hinsdale or anywhere else. Nearly all suburban downtowns in Chicagoland are bisected by tracks...

Old 03-08-2017, 03:00 PM

263 posts, read 567,333 times
Quote:
Again, reiterating my point from above, this is not specific to Wheaton. Same thing happens in Geneva, Downers, Hinsdale or anywhere else. Nearly all suburban downtowns in Chicagoland are bisected by tracks...
No, it is not a problem specific to Wheaton, but some Metra lines do not seem to have freight train usage. I have not seen a freight train on the UP-NW line.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I didn't say 88 was easily accessible from that address. I said accessibility from that address is the same as from comparably positioned addresses in Downers, et al. Wheaton is certainly not "less accessible" than any of the other towns in question.

I wouldn't drive from any town I could ride Metra from, and I wouldn't live in any town without Metra.
But even that's not true. Would you agree that the most desirable part of Wheaton is north of the tracks? This also happens to be the location that is least accessible to I-88 particularly if you are required to cross the tracks or jump on to I-355 first. The most desirable part of Downers Grove is north of the tracks and one would not be required to cross the tracks to access I-88. Similar story for Elmhurst. The most desirable part of Elmhurst is south of the tracks and I-88 is located south of Elmhurst. For Hinsdale, it's basically split. About half the town would cross the tracks (which really isn't an issue any longer - thank you Oak Street bridge overpass ) while the other half wouldn't.

Lastly, not every one can rely on Metra for their work commute. The flexibility, and for many requirement, to have to drive to their office is a deterrent for many considering further west towns like Wheaton and Naperville. This doesn't seem to be a concern for OP, though for many it is.

Old 03-08-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
This is a good point. Freight trains are rather uncommon along BNSF during weekdays day time. More common, though still infrequent, on weekends which I imagine is coordinated with metra.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:51 PM

748 posts, read 832,323 times
Quote:
In Downers, at BNSF stop I use, the tracks are separated from the roadway. You drive underneath them. Therefore, it's not a problem here. The downtown, yes, but the next stop is not.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:23 PM

37 posts, read 55,686 times
Besides, north downers grove is a lot more accessible to major expressways than north Wheaton. You cant compare the two...

Old 03-09-2017, 08:45 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,936,800 times
There are horrible freight trains in Wheaton. Really long ones. This is in addition to the commuter trains which can be frequent at times but not bad. I would disagree that the most desirable part of Wheaton is north of the tracks. Some of the most expensive, but modern homes in Wheaton are in the south area. The core of Wheaton, which is mostly north of the tracks is older gracious historic homes with some teardowns that have been built recently. South Wheaton is subdivisions of various kinds including luxury homes. Then the farther north you go in Wheaton, again you have some modern luxury homes. Wheaton does a very good job of having all of these knit together very well into a nice community that does not look like sprawl. There are also small "pocket" subdivisions of just a few homes that have been recently built. South Wheaton has better access to I 88, and stores and shopping, its also very easy to get to Naperville from there as well as shoot down Butterfield to the Oak Brook area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs