Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 AM

16 posts, read 16,706 times

Advertisements

I agree with ToriaT that there maybe some spillover from Chi, but I think for the recent muggings in LG, i feel it maybe the same group committing these Crimes. In LG there were at least 3-4 where teens had their cell phones stolen. The most recent one happened half a block from my house. Too much of a coincidence if you ask me. And the cops aren't doing a darn thing. They need to try something new because increasing patrols isn't doing a damn thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,973,241 times
The shootings on the Eisenhower are a kind of new thing as to the fact that there are so many now. Some of these are in or near suburban areas. The guy that was kidnapped from a Starbucks in Glen Ellyn and then robbed and dumped off...there have been car jackings in places. You have to watch yourself wherever you go. You can't take safety for granted.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,791,895 times
Perception often gets in the way of reality. If we perceive a place to be void of crime, and a few incidents, as violent as they may be happen, it will shake some people up because their expectations didn't meet the reality. It's the same reason people will freak out about the possibility of an airplane incident and not car crashes, despite the fact that you're way more likely to be a fatality in a car. There's a statistic that notes that you're actually safer when you've gotten on a plane than when you're on the ground, but that doesn't seem to change a lot of people's minds. Inner ring suburbs like Oak Park and Evanston are both considered safe communities with mostly crimes like garage break ins. There are the odd robberies, but those are pretty rare, and they statistically have lower crimes rates to places like Lincoln Park. Some people perceive the crime in inner ring western suburbs to be higher than it actually is, and dangerous places to live, purely based on the fact that they're right next door to a really rough area of Chicago, but the numbers just don't support their level of fear. The same people would not make a peep about safety concerns in places like Lincoln Park. This always comes down to one's perception. Fact is crime happens everywhere, even in the places considered to be the "safest".

To the OP's question if violent crime is on the rise in those "safe" western suburbs; I think you need many more years to be able to see any kind of trend. Some times there are spikes in crime for whatever reason, but are exceptions to the general rule that crime within the past few decades has been steadily decreasing. Sometimes it comes down to people not being aware that there was always a certain amount and types of crime in their suburb, but they're just becoming aware of it and it's change the perception based on the original expectations of where they live.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:45 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,373,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliecat22 View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like there's been a huge increase in robberies in the Lagrange and Western Springs area? We've had several armed robberies on the street right in downtown, a highschooler was robbed and attacked right in front of LT, and there were multiple home invasions over the past few weeks... now this vehicle hijacking in Western Springs:
http://www.villageoflagrange.com/Doc...nter/View/1510

I know I know, crime can happen anywhere. But when you're paying insane property taxes I guess you expect a little more?
Juliecat22 aka Taco123 has a history of Illinois bashing on this forum as well as LaGrange bashing, especially when it comes to Illinois finances. Very unhappy camper, has stated she wants to move, and will attack the area without thought as to any rational thinking. What occurred as far as the carjacking in Forest Hills in WS was unfortunate, but that is an aberration in an otherwise safe area.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,216,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Juliecat22 aka Taco123 has a history of Illinois bashing on this forum as well as LaGrange bashing, especially when it comes to Illinois finances. Very unhappy camper, has stated she wants to move, and will attack the area without thought as to any rational thinking. What occurred as far as the carjacking in Forest Hills in WS was unfortunate, but that is an aberration in an otherwise safe area.
Haha yea it was pretty obvious from the initial post. Sad really. No coincidence one of my responses included a safety comparison to one of the "safest" suburbs in Atlanta...

Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 20,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble. I have no alias. I've lived in Lagrange for 20 years and have seen my property taxes go up and up. Along with that, I've seen crime increases. We may relocate to one of 5 cities, and actually I'm extremely happy and grateful to have opportunity to move. Other than that, the western suburbs are great.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:05 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,216,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliecat22 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble. I have no alias. I've lived in Lagrange for 20 years and have seen my property taxes go up and up. Along with that, I've seen crime increases. We may relocate to one of 5 cities, and actually I'm extremely happy and grateful to have opportunity to move. Other than that, the western suburbs are great.
No need to lie, it's quite obvious based on your posts.

And also, just want to correct your incorrect statement that crime has increased in La Grange over the past 20 years. It's actually done the opposite and DECREASED:

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Illinois.html

If you don't feel safe in La Grange and Western Springs, you aren't going to feel safe in the suburbs of Atlanta either. The most affluent ATL suburbs are more dangerous than La Grange + Western Springs.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...n-Georgia.html

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...s-Georgia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs