Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 11:49 AM

282 posts, read 437,987 times

Advertisements

Isn't Schaumburg on the same Metra line as Elgin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 AM

54 posts, read 148,426 times
Schaumburg is on the same train line as Elgin, but the Schaumburg station is tucked behind the minor league baseball stadium, and isn't that close to any apartment complexes. It also isn't a very friendly commuter friendly walk to get to the station.

Old 02-10-2017, 10:04 AM

36 posts, read 43,095 times
If you are driving to work (around) Big timber rd. Why not looking area along randall rd... Assuming you have lids (school is important). Elgin west of randall(Burlington school D) or South Elgin. Sleepy Hollow, Carpentersville(Randall rd. corridor) and Algonquin are one of the best bang for the bucks in terms of affordability, shopping, recreations (park and bike trails)and general convenience (access to I-90), quality school.... Only thing missing is NOT along Elgin Train lines.

South of Elgin are good too(along randall rd corridor, Geneva, st Charles, Batavia) but I found these place a driving nightmare as getting to I-90 (and depsnig where you ARE, I-88 TOO) is Hard from there. And house prices in these area are 15-20% higher....

Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Elgin, I gather, is rough around the edges. I'd rather live in a safe, nice place, so if Elgin isn't quite up to standard, are there some decent towns/cities with walkable downtown areas in close proximity that are on the same METRA line? I'm looking at a job out near Big Timber station and would appreciate some recommendations on good places nearby. Thank you in advance for any suggestions that you might have to offer!
I see the town still suffers from the 1990's reputation.
Our crime rate here is the lowest it has been in 44 years, and our police department takes up 1/3 of the entire city budget. If a resident calls in so much as a suspicious vehicle, an entire SWAT team arrives within 30 seconds.
It's too safe.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Our crime rate here is the lowest it has been in 44 years, and our police department takes up 1/3 of the entire city budget. If a resident calls in so much as a suspicious vehicle, an entire SWAT team arrives within 30 seconds.
It's too safe.
Just so you know, a few folks might be persuaded to live elsewhere because the SWAT team is so frequent

Seriously though, some more interesting questions to ask might include:

-Is that figure high as compared to other communities in the region?

-What is the ROI on such police (public safety) spending per capita?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Just so you know, a few folks might be persuaded to live elsewhere because the SWAT team is so frequent

Seriously though, some more interesting questions to ask might include:

-Is that figure high as compared to other communities in the region?

-What is the ROI on such police (public safety) spending per capita?
It's high when compared to other city budgets such as South Elgin, who only spend $7M for policing out of a total expenditure budget of $35M.
I'd like to cut $10M from the Elgin police, and use that $$ to resurface side streets. Cops here spend too much time on speed patrols anyways, a service most taxpayers don't wish to pay for considering they are being taxed twice when they get tickets.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
It's too safe.
In my part of Elgin people are always complaining the police don't come out for a suspicious vehicle or that it takes too long. My theory is you cry wolf enough nobody believes you anymore. Either way, I agree with you about the reputation of the city, and when I tell people I live there they almost always ask why.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogao View Post
In my part of Elgin people are always complaining the police don't come out for a suspicious vehicle or that it takes too long. My theory is you cry wolf enough nobody believes you anymore. Either way, I agree with you about the reputation of the city, and when I tell people I live there they almost always ask why.
Be careful driving near Chicago and Shales(Biggers), it's the new speed trap east of the river. I cannot believe I just saw an old man receiving a citation at the bottom of 2 hills on Shales. Speed limit is 30, only one must ride brakes from either direction to obey it.

Time for me to attend a few city budget meetings.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Be careful driving near Chicago and Shales(Biggers), it's the new speed trap east of the river. I cannot believe I just saw an old man receiving a citation at the bottom of 2 hills on Shales. Speed limit is 30, only one must ride brakes from either direction to obey it.

Time for me to attend a few city budget meetings.
Thanks for the advice! I do have a led foot

Old 02-20-2017, 12:14 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Have you looked at your housing options in downtown Elgin? Haven't been there in awhile (and not sure where Metra stops) but I find the downtown area there a lot more interesting than the other sleepy towns on that Metra line.

Anyhow, I always liked Elgin - grit, diversity, character, historic homes, commitment to the arts (how many suburbs even have live theatre and symphony center - saw YoYo Ma there), outdoor/nature activities, big park district facility/pool (is outdoor ice rink still there?), couple colleges for enrichment classes, a Metra stop... isn't there a microbrewery? There is some pretty good hiking/biking/kayaking near the Fox River there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs