Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 1,779 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My mother's job recently moved from the NYC area to Lake Forest, and we know nothing about the Chicago area. I am trying to get an idea of some of the best towns within commuting distance <30 max, for our specific situation.

Everyone in our family of four is spread out and either working or away at college. She'd be the only one at home for most of the year. So we are looking for something with relatively good value, don't care about public schools are anything like that, nice safe neighborhood that's not 99% white, (we're asian, she doesn't want to be that token asian family in the neighborhood).

She'd like a 4 bed room, a relatively large lot, relatively quiet neighborhood. Since the rest of the family comes back together during summers, possibly something like a "summer house" type of house/area. All I know is Lake forest and that area is right along Lake Michigan, and there seem to be a lot of other lakes in the area. Having a lakefront property would be a really cool experience if its relatively reasonably priced. Our budget is no more than $1m so I don't know if that is practical, just would be really nice.

If someone could also give a quick rundown of the towns that are within a 20 minute commute to Lake Forest and the "feel" or kind of general description of that town that would be great, and I could look into each in more detail later.

Thanks so much, we're pretty much clueless right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 12:07 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,489,000 times
Vernon Hills is pretty close and has a ~20% Asian population.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Vernon...-Illinois.html

Old 11-04-2016, 01:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,349 times
Hi there, one of my friends stays there. But I have no idea about that place.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:51 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Wink More details might be helpful...

If mom would prefer to live in an area that is more walkable she might want to consider something like the core of Highland Park, Lake Forest itself, perhaps even Wilmette or Evanston. Each of those towns has nice condos that would be well within mom's $1M budget but something on Lake Michigan would not be realistic. Pricing in the nice towns is a bit like the Hamtpons -- huge upcharge for waterfront!
Of course she could also get a nice single family home in her budget, just inland...

I have never heard of "token Asian" in the context of affluent areas -- if anything all of those towns have many success oriented people who want access to good schools and other nice amenities. I really don't understand why poster above would suggest Vernon Hills, there are better choices.

Mom could get a lovely home with resort feel on smaller lake and stay in budget -- the Diamond Lake area in Mundelein might fit the bill as well as some of the towns that are along the "Chain O' Lakes" area, though commute time might be extended.

Mom might even want to consider options in Wisconsin -- as more successful Asian families have found the advantages of living in that state it is no longer unusual for folks to drive down to Lake Forest...

I can't help but wonder if mom would not appreciate a maintenance free town home. Her daily life might be simpler in a newer place in Glenview or Northbrook -- easy commute, no worries about snow plowing or lawn mowing...
Money saved could easily be spent on a luxury AirBNB on Lake Geneva for get togethers with the kids / extended family in peak season...

Last edited by chet everett; 11-04-2016 at 06:01 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 11:10 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,257,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If mom would prefer to live in an area that is more walkable she might want to consider something like the core of Highland Park, Lake Forest itself, perhaps even Wilmette or Evanston. Each of those towns has nice condos that would be well within mom's $1M budget but something on Lake Michigan would not be realistic. Pricing in the nice towns is a bit like the Hamtpons -- huge upcharge for waterfront!
Of course she could also get a nice single family home in her budget, just inland...

I have never heard of "token Asian" in the context of affluent areas -- if anything all of those towns have many success oriented people who want access to good schools and other nice amenities. I really don't understand why poster above would suggest Vernon Hills, there are better choices.

Mom could get a lovely home with resort feel on smaller lake and stay in budget -- the Diamond Lake area in Mundelein might fit the bill as well as some of the towns that are along the "Chain O' Lakes" area, though commute time might be extended.

Mom might even want to consider options in Wisconsin -- as more successful Asian families have found the advantages of living in that state it is no longer unusual for folks to drive down to Lake Forest...

I can't help but wonder if mom would not appreciate a maintenance free town home. Her daily life might be simpler in a newer place in Glenview or Northbrook -- easy commute, no worries about snow plowing or lawn mowing...
Money saved could easily be spent on a luxury AirBNB on Lake Geneva for get togethers with the kids / extended family in peak season...
You must be really out of the loop. "Token asian" is about as garden variety (albeit, very disrespectful) of a comment as they come. In fact, token <fill in the blank> is not an uncommon phrase at all in mostly affluent, white areas. Not sure why you feel a quiet VH neighborhood couldn't fit the bill with so much close by within a 10-15 min drive. Arguably, Mundelein might not necessarily be considered an upgrade over VH.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Default Let's slow down here...

I have friends of Asian heritage who work and live in all the nicer areas around Chicago. Some of them were born / trace their roots to Japan, China, Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Taiwan, the greater Pacific Islands or South Asian nations. Not once have I ever heard ANY of them refer to themselves / their family as any kind of disadvantaged minority. The percentage of such workers in nearly all workplaces speaks to their integration as does their choice to live in affluent areas. Nothing fits the stereotype of "token minority"...

The OP says they know nothing of Illinois but are speculating on their mom's work relocation to Lake Forest as perhaps being any opportunity for a lakefront home on Lake Michigan for under $1M; no way that happens in any desirable town near Lake Forest.

I am quite familiar with Vernon Hills. It is an unremarkable suburb that has ZERO access to Lake Michigan or any inland lake. It lacks any kind of "town center" save for its bleak shopping mall and sprawling strip centers.

I suggested Mundelien as a town that does have a rather nice spring feed gem in Diamond Lake and I personally know that it is a top choice for folks for a waterfront home who do not intend to send kids to public schools, which would be more desirable in Vernon Hills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs