Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 1,810 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I wasn't working steadily for a few months so I couldn't pay my car insurance. Got pulled over and was issued a ticket for not providing proof of insurance. I got home right away and purchased the cheapest insurance I could find. The date effective for insurance is the same date I got the ticket. Even though it technically says I am covered, im assuming the courts are smart enough to realize I bought it after the ticket. Anyone know the process of how this works? I read something about a 3 month suspension for my license, but I just started working again and need to drive. Any information so I know what to expect would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 09:27 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,227,066 times
You drove without insurance. Pay the ticket.

I don't believe you'll get a free pass just because you did what you were supposed to do after you got caught.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:48 AM

119 posts, read 155,329 times
Go to court, explain your situation and be at the mercy of the courts. You're required to hold insurance while driving, it is pretty well known. You probably won't get a pass, but you could get a reduced fine and no suspension. Consider an attorney instead of random people.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,810 times
I'm expecting the fine. I just wasn't sure of suspension if it's for sure 3 months or just until you prove that you have it.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,418,638 times
You will not get a suspension. You will get a fine. Go to court, admit your mistake, explain your job requirements if this is relevant.

And please.... drive safely, and don't hit me. Since you got the cheapest insurance you could find, it means it has very little coverage for when you hit and injure someone else.

But I guess why should drivers care about other people, right?

Most of us will be in a car accident at some point in our lives. Driving is the most dangerous activity that most of us do every day, but we worry more about random gunmen/bombs etc... The media should report for one week on all the car accidents, deaths, severe injuries that occur every day....

Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 PM

93 posts, read 91,024 times
Sorry about your trouble OP. I don't think you'll lose your license either. You may just have a fine & "a supervision" instead of a conviction. The link below is to the Illinois legal aid website--your issue appears about halfway down the page.

Worst case scenario, I don't think this is, there's a restricted drivers permit (RDP) for which people who lose privileges for non-DUI reasons can apply. It lets you drive to work. There's an application for that through the secretary of state's office.

I don't know which, if any, of the legal aid agencies help with these kinds of motor vehicle issues. Maybe check the web site of the county where you got ticketed. Someone in one of the legal aid offices might be able to answer your question, or refer you.

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/leg...-lawyer-manual

Old 10-14-2016, 04:54 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,951,503 times
The fact that you purchased insurance right away will be in your favor -- as others have said I suspect you'll get a fine and that's it. It looks like it's a $500 minimum fine but I don't know how much leeway the court has in sentencing.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,615,975 times
Please get a 300/500k liability policy, it's only a few dollars extra a month. I pay about $25 a month for a 3rd car I own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs