Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,263 times

Advertisements

Was wondering if someone might be able to give me some information. My employer is sending me to Northwestern for some training for one month. We are looking at vacation rentals, and notice several on S. Shore Drive...specifically the 7300 block.

I am hoping there is someone out there who may be familiar with this area? I guess I am wondering if it is a relatively safe (can I go running at night?) and whether there is much around as far as shopping, grocery etc?

Also, mapquest shows it is approx. 29 miles from the campus. Should I plan an hour commute in the mornings if I have to be there by 8:00 am or more? Thanks everyone for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 03:32 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,205,486 times
There aren't many resources around 73rd and South Shore except bicycling and walking to the South Shore Cultural Center or Rainbow Beach. All else (food stores, etc.) are miles away. A person needs to be familiar with Chicago or have relatives in the area to move there for the summer.

But the area has good transportation to downtown.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:52 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,729,361 times
Northwestern University is in Evanston. Why would you want to drive 30 miles through rush hour traffic in order to stay on the south side of Chicago? Evanston is brimming with activities and have beautiful beaches. There are plenty of summer sublets available in Evanston, or other nearby suburbs.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:18 AM

162 posts, read 804,530 times
South Shore at 73rd is not the best area - and the drive to Evanston would be brutal at rush hour. The south lake shore is beautiful (I live at 18th and Prairie, near McCormick Place and bike down to 63rd and the lake/Jackson Park all the time, but it gets a little sketchy once the park ends around 63rd and that area is surrounded by a not so nice area with higher than average crime.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:06 AM

The lakefront park (that is Jackson Park) ends at 67th street. There is real nice biking down to 71st street. I went behind the South Shore Cultural center (at 71st street) last year on my bike and it was peaceful, bucolic and just beautiful.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM

162 posts, read 804,530 times
I've never been that far south, but I'll have to check that out when it warms up. I love the south lake shore, people do not realize how nice it really is, all the way to Jackson Park (and sounds like beyond).

Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vester72 View Post
I've never been that far south, but I'll have to check that out when it warms up. I love the south lake shore, people do not realize how nice it really is, all the way to Jackson Park (and sounds like beyond).
There is far less bicycle and pedestrian traffic south of McCormick place. Half of the people on bikes are policemen and UC students. Undiscovered gems include the South Shore cultural center (where the police will give you 'meadow muffins' if you ask nice at the horse stables), the Jackson Park Harbor, the Jackson Park golf range and La Rabida at 67th street.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 PM

8 posts, read 31,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowelborn View Post
Was wondering if someone might be able to give me some information. My employer is sending me to Northwestern for some training for one month. We are looking at vacation rentals, and notice several on S. Shore Drive...specifically the 7300 block.

I am hoping there is someone out there who may be familiar with this area? I guess I am wondering if it is a relatively safe (can I go running at night?) and whether there is much around as far as shopping, grocery etc?

Also, mapquest shows it is approx. 29 miles from the campus. Should I plan an hour commute in the mornings if I have to be there by 8:00 am or more? Thanks everyone for any help.
Unfortunately, there is not alot of shopping in that area...go to Jeffrey Blvd @ 71st street and there is a Walgreen's, Dominick's, hair and nail places, Chicken shacks, chinese restaurants...Do you already live south? If not rent in Evanston or Rogers Park...everything is there!! From 73rd street go north and stay on LSD/take that straight to Evanston -- it should take you 45 minutes or less in the morning. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs