Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:18 PM

31 posts, read 26,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Out of curiosity- What did you see on apartments.com?
I see homes for rent in northern suburbs
that would be halfway between waukegan and more
'City-like' locations such as Evanston.
I haven't looked on that site. I did look on zillow and just ran across remax that has tons of rentals from all the different management companies. Being that we've not been to the area yet, I'm just trying to figure out what is going to be a good location for hubby to go to work and for us to be able to have some fun and not feel like we are too far out from anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:45 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,248,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeyes70 View Post
I haven't looked on that site. I did look on zillow and just ran across remax that has tons of rentals from all the different management companies. Being that we've not been to the area yet, I'm just trying to figure out what is going to be a good location for hubby to go to work and for us to be able to have some fun and not feel like we are too far out from anything.
In that case, I suggest you come up for 4-5 days, take a lot of notes/photos
to get a sense if what areas you prefer.

Sometimes the initial locations might not make as much sense when you actually calculate
how you will be using your free time. A once a month music outing doesn't require you guys to
live in a modestly sized but higher priced city or Evanston rental, etc.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Leftover Crack, Dayz and Daze, and All Torn Up!
Pretty good show!

I'm so glad my daughter isn't into the boy band or mostly any mainstream band for the most part. She likes the smaller indie bands and it's really cool when we get to see a band go from playing really small venues to playing Madison Square Garden! She has plans to work in the music industry in come form or fashion.
So that's the 'new' punk, eh? Just found his bands on youtube. Interesting

The mosh pit was definitely more dangerous in my day but the sound is essentially the same.
I saw Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Circle Jerks, GBH, Misfits and the Butthole Surfers in their prime.
Need a little quieter sound now to say the least

Old 09-20-2016, 08:13 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,129 times
I would suggest looking at Libertyville. Assuming the job location is at one of the big companies along Waukegan Road north of route 137, the commute would be easy. Very nice downtown with lots of restaurants and local businesses. Great schools (I know you say that does not matter now but schools are something that play a very big part in housing values in this area due to local funding of schools in Illinois). Though I am not sure of what is available for rent in Libertyville. Also Libertyville has a Metra station if you want to take the train downtown.

As for concerts, be sure to check out the Ravinia Festival in Highland Park. Ravinia is the summer home of the Chicago Symphony and has a lot concerts of many genres apart from the CSO. There are also a lot of big concerts in various Rosemont venues as well (next to O'Hare) - though not classical. There are a lot of options that do not require a trip downtown every time.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 PM

LOL! He listens to those bands now. Misfits were just at Riot Fest in Chicago and he wanted to go so bad!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
LOL! He listens to those bands now. Misfits were just at Riot Fest in Chicago and he wanted to go so bad!
I have been to Riot Fest twice. The first time, I 'misplaced' a shoe while I stumbled around in the mud. Really fun to see so many good bands in one sitting though.

They probably brought out the Misfits lead singer in a wheelchair- he must be getting up there in age(!)

Old 09-21-2016, 08:45 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
The OP has no chance of considering anything in Evanston is the desire is for a 20 minute commute to Waukegan.

With a work location 3 miles west of Waukegan's Metra station the choices are limited to Libertyville, Green Oaks, Rondout and maybe the most SE fringe of Gurnee.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:47 AM

Ok, back on topic... We are open to up to a 30 min. commute. Here are some of the areas where I'm seeing what looks to be some good rentals for us. Any + or - to these areas? We are planning a trip up to look around the area but we will only have 2 days to get a lay of the land. I realize that the rentals we see available now may not be available when we are actually ready to move which could be as early as the first part of Nov. but at least I can work to figure out where would be the best place to start looking.

Deerfield
Glencoe
Glenview
Highland Park
Lake Forest
Libertyville
Northbrook
Mundelein
Vernon Hills
Gurnee
Lake Bluff

Last edited by pamfieldsphoto; 09-21-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The OP has no chance of considering anything in Evanston is the desire is for a 20 minute commute to Waukegan.

With a work location 3 miles west of Waukegan's Metra station the choices are limited to Libertyville, Green Oaks, Rondout and maybe the most SE fringe of Gurnee.

Hardly. I know that area very well. If the OP's husband works near 94, it opens up the field a bit wider than that. They could live further south near Lake Forest/Vernon Hills, etc. too.

Last edited by damba; 09-21-2016 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: needed highlighting for clear emphasis

Old 09-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Ok, back on topic... We are open to up to a 30 min. commute. Here are some of the areas where I'm seeing what looks to be some good rentals for us. Any + or - to these areas? We are planning a trip up to look around the area but we will only have 2 days to get a lay of the land. I realize that the rentals we see available now may not be available when we are actually ready to move which could be as early as the first part of Nov. but at least I can work to figure out where would be the best place to start looking.

Deerfield
Glencoe
Glenview
Highland Park
Lake Forest
Libertyville
Northbrook
Mundelein
Vernon Hills
Gurnee
Lake Bluff

2 days really doesn't cut it IMNSHO. Could you extend it to at least 3? You have little opportunity to see much in only 2 days.

Basically, you have created a list of some of the nicer northern suburbs. If relocating near some of the better public schools on that list isn't a requirement, you could throw in Gurnee and Mundelein. Just keep in mind that the further south you live, especially into northern cook county toward the lakefront, the longer it can take to get out to interstate 94 during rush hour (and even non-rush hour of late). [Is your husband's company large enough to offer a shuttle from the Metra stop?]

Down the road when you buy though, you will likely get sticker shock vs what you saw around Memphis, especially regarding property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs