Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 11,909 times

Advertisements

I'm hispanic and planning to move to the lyons/la grange area? I've heard it can be racist? Anyone have opinoins or encounters of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 08:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Thats a new one to me! As long as you respect the laws, are here legally, you shouldnt have a problem.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:14 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,181,094 times
LaGrange is affluent, and I get the impression it's fairly liberal. Lyons, Hodgkins, and to a lesser extent Countryside and Brookfield have very sizeable Hispanic populations, which are growing rapidly. There are quite a few towns in west Cook County that are majority Hispanic. You'll have no trouble feeling comfortable around there. Heck, Chicago has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the country (not percentage wise, but in actual numbers).

Old 04-10-2007, 12:06 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Those who are moving to "get away from it" are going to be sorely disappointed in a few years. Latinos are rapidly growing in numbers and their migration patterns are following that of the "white flight" which preceeded them. Hispanics are appearing all over the south and western suburbs, from Arlington Heights to Plainfield.

As to whether a place is "racist" or not, I think that's generally a function of education and politics. Obviously, if you're Hispanic or African American and move to a suburb where blue collar whites fled, it's probably not reasonable to expect a homemade cookie basket upon your arrival. After all, you're what they moved to get away from and they will probably be threatened by your presence. We're past the brick-through-the-front-window stage (I sincerely hope) but I'm afraid that racism is alive and well in 2007. I mean, read some of the posts on this Board. There are some pretty stupid attitudes which obviously still prevail. People may not express them like in the past but they're there.

Similarly, if you move into a more affluent area where elitism prevails, you may be viewed and treated poorly also. I know a Hispanic couple who moved into an affluent "old money" white neighborhood in Chicago and they absolutely hate it. It's nothing major or overt -- just little comments that display ignorance that eat at you over time.

LaGrange, I do not know about. Their diversity index isn't high -- 91% white and only 3% Latino as of 2000 -- and they're not known as a "progressive" community like Oak Park or Evanston. On the other hand, I don't think it's particularly elitist either. More of a standard, upper middle class attitude -- like Naperville or Elmhurst. Like anything, you should probably go and check it out. Meet some neighbors, etc.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 22,814 times
Just last summer I saw a house in LaGrange, near downtown on LaGrange Road, that displayed a little lawn jockey (very black Sambo-like) on the FRONT LAWN. If those residents feel that comfortable doing that on a major thoroughfare in town, then I would assume the rest of the community thinks it's okay. Personally, I wouldn't move there with my mixed-race son. Unless, you'd be okay with the kind of treatment that BRU67's friends experience in their affluent community.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:49 AM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjonesil View Post
Just last summer I saw a house in LaGrange, near downtown on LaGrange Road, that displayed a little lawn jockey (very black Sambo-like) on the FRONT LAWN. If those residents feel that comfortable doing that on a major thoroughfare in town, then I would assume the rest of the community thinks it's okay. Personally, I wouldn't move there with my mixed-race son. Unless, you'd be okay with the kind of treatment that BRU67's friends experience in their affluent community.
Why would you judge an entire community based on one resident? I live there and I don't think racism is okay. As prairiestate said, this area is fairly liberal and most of the towns bordering La Grange have sizable minority populations. I don't think the residents of La Grange would share schools and community resources with those towns if there was actually a racist attitude here.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:45 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgjonesil View Post
Yea, it's a shame. You pay all that money and it turns out to be a nightmare. A posh and convenient nightmare but a nightmare just the same. You don't want to let others dictate where you live but you also don't want to be treated like a piece of crap, and pay handsomely for the privilege to boot.

People these days are so afraid of their home losing value that ignorance can be pretty overt. Chicagoland unfortunate history of whites tending to run when minorities reach a certain percentage (and not always a high one) hasn't helped the situation, nor have astronomical home prices. The price to isolate yourself is a lot higher than it once was. A sad situation it is.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 22,814 times
kirstenleigh, by no means would I let one resident dictate my behavior, but this wasn't about me. I brought up this incidence as an example of the tolerance level, or lack thereof, exhibited by the neighbors and community. I absolutely know that there are plenty of left-leaning, diversity-embracing people in LaGrange (like yourself) and in their surrounding communities. However, it is my belief that the prevalent attitude in local government and in the general population is that lawn jockeys are an acceptable form of landscaping decor.

Thank you, BRU67, for your statement: "The price to isolate yourself is a lot higher than it once was. A sad situation it is."

Unfortunately, the American Dream comes at a price. I think I'll be living in my Hyde Park condo a little longer.

Over and out...

Old 06-26-2007, 07:25 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,669 times
The funny thing is this is nothing compared to what people on the coasts go through. You should see what it costs to live in majority white suburb in california or florida...and real estate is slumping! Eventually the middle class will pretty much be gone in chicago, may take a bit longer but it will happen.

As far as LaGrange goes, the glory days of that place were long gone with the 70's. The nicer, safer, suburbs have sprawled further west and south towards glen ellyn, downers grove, and naperville.

To say you wont experience racism in the chicago suburbs is like saying you wont experience the harsh winter. Especially in a place like LaGrange which is more lower middle class. Alot of locals resent the faces of color in their formerly all white area which they feel they have worked hard for. Often times mixed in with the fact that the glory days have moved on to bigger an better suburbs, residents often precieve "these people" of being part of the reason that the suburbs have sprawled out to bigger and better places.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,096 times
sorry skate, can't let this one slide

La Grange is NOT lower middle class. that would indicate to me near or below the median salary and they are way above that.

And "alot of locals resenting the faces of color" is way too much of a generalization.

And I don't think a lot of the people living in La Grange are envious of those living in Glen Ellyn or Downers Grove or even Naperville (very nice places, but so is LaGrange). The thing I like about Chicagoland is you really have choices where you can live, and some people prefer the further out burbs and other prefer other communities that are closer to the city and perhaps a bit more heterogenous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs