Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 232,005 times

Advertisements

Dear knowledgeable Chicagoans;

My daughter who will be teaching at Notre Dame in SouthBend and her spouse working downtown Chicago can't afford the expensive suburbs but want a city/cultural life. Where can you go, be close enough to South Bend to be able to do the commute and still be in a good, affordable area? Really appreciate some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 AM

82 posts, read 394,684 times
Default southside

Well, I wish I could help; I've lived in the Chicago area forever and would not consider the south end. Sorry. I read the newspaper daily and most of the crime in the area comes from that corridor. I think Jim Croce said it best years ago when he sang "Well, the south side of Chicago, is the baddest part of town..." or something like that.

BUT, if I did have to live on the south side I'd look at Hyde Park. What about Hinsdale; I know you said they can't afford an expensive suburb but what about a condo? At least they'd be safe.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:37 AM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,365,679 times
I have lived on the south side for my entire life, there is absolutely nothing wrong with living here. Who bases opinion on a song by Jim Croce from 1972?

Anywho, Beverly, Morgan Park and Mt Greenwood all offer great family atmosphere and make for an easy commute to IN.

Probably the only thing negative with living on the south side is the way you are looked at from people up north who just don't get it.

Here is a flickr link to get a flavor of the neighborhood...
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=beverly%20chicago&w=all

Last edited by NSH; 11-27-2006 at 12:03 PM..

Old 11-29-2006, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 57,230 times
You should probably consider n'west Indiana, too. Munster is a cute little town, and Metra runs a train from downtown Chicago into Indiana (in fact, all the way to South Bend).

Old 12-08-2006, 10:27 PM

84 posts, read 1,104,264 times
Default Couple of questions?

Who's job pays more, daughter's or husbands,

Does Husband's job, require him to travel thruout the day once he arrives to work,

Which state has highest taxes?

I suggest looking into South Holland, Lansing, Homewood, Glenwood, regarding Illinois sites

Merriville, Scherreville, and Munster as well as Dyer, even Hammond has a lot of good parts

Remember, it snows a lot more as you get closer to south bend, whereas in the South Holland area, it snows less,

I would definitely lean towards an Indiana residence, not Illinois.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:56 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,096,354 times
The upside to Munster is that I know people who live there whose commute into the LOOP is quicker than people who live in the city proper, and you can get over to South Bend without having to deal with as much Chicago traffic ... and you don't have to pay Illinois taxes.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 23,977 times
hi,
hammond or munster are great for the commuter to chicago. my dad and cousins work in illinois but the whole family, parents and cousins liver in nw indiana.
melanie silver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs