Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:24 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,611,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
There are so many nice options between that don't sacrifice walkability and Metra, it seems odd to have narrowed your search to two such extremes. Check out Wheaton, Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove. All charming and vibrant, with excellent connectivity and great schools.

I'm in Wheaton, if you have any questions.
I second that about Wheaton!!! Love the area with its parks, trees, nature, safety, cleanness, and not the daily shooting report from Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,351 times
I'm the OP just not logged in. To clarify a couple of things- neither my husband nor I commute downtown or utilize Metra on a regular basis. I just mentioned that because it's desirable in terms of home value and convenience to be so close to the
Metra.
Also we ended up in this situation because we had ruled out Elmhurst (and similarly Downers Grove and the walkable part of Glen Ellyn) out due to the price range. We simply couldn't afford anything of a reasonable size there. We focused in on St. Charles and were excited to find so many awesome homes in our price range. We've bid on 2 properties there already but lost them.
I decided to look one more time in Elmhurst and Glen Ellyn just to see if anything new had popped up and found this one viable option

Old 06-19-2016, 10:18 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,088,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianogirl77 View Post
I'm the OP just not logged in. To clarify a couple of things- neither my husband nor I commute downtown or utilize Metra on a regular basis. I just mentioned that because it's desirable in terms of home value and convenience to be so close to the
Metra.
Also we ended up in this situation because we had ruled out Elmhurst (and similarly Downers Grove and the walkable part of Glen Ellyn) out due to the price range. We simply couldn't afford anything of a reasonable size there. We focused in on St. Charles and were excited to find so many awesome homes in our price range. We've bid on 2 properties there already but lost them.
I decided to look one more time in Elmhurst and Glen Ellyn just to see if anything new had popped up and found this one viable option
What's your price range? Elmhurst and Glen Ellyn are pretty pricey. Even parts of Downers Grove can be too.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
@holl1ngsworth My family and I are possibly relocating from California to the Chicago area. My husband would be working in Bensonville. I have looked at Wheaton, Naperville, Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove. I am so nervous about the transition. Our daughter will be starting high school and our son will be starting 3rd grade. We live in Lincoln, Ca now which is a small suburb outside of Sacramento with @45,000 people. Is traffic a huge factor for commuting?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:50 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,088,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNorth View Post
@holl1ngsworth My family and I are possibly relocating from California to the Chicago area. My husband would be working in Bensonville. I have looked at Wheaton, Naperville, Glen Ellyn and Downers Grove. I am so nervous about the transition. Our daughter will be starting high school and our son will be starting 3rd grade. We live in Lincoln, Ca now which is a small suburb outside of Sacramento with @45,000 people. Is traffic a huge factor for commuting?
Traffic won't be as bad since your husband would be commuting from subutb to suburb instead if suburb to city. However, you'll still experience some traffic if commuting from Naperville since your husband would be heading towards the city for some of the commute. The other towns, he would just take 355 north which isn't towards the city.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNorth View Post
Why not consider Elmhurst if your husband works in Bensonville? It's right next to Bensonville and quite nice.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:59 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,996,394 times
It's spelled Bensenville. And yes, Nikita is right, Elmhurst is very nice.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:08 PM

748 posts, read 835,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianogirl77 View Post
Metra.
If you don't commute downtown on a regular basis, and would only use the Metra, say, on the weekend (when parking is free and readily available) you'll save a LOT of money going a bit further out from the train.

Of course, you'll probably preserve your property value being closer to the train (and get resultant better schools) etc. However, you'll pay the premium. Good stuff right now goes quickly, as you know...

Old 07-09-2016, 12:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,364,773 times
rja29 agreed with the train access comments.
However I want to make a suggestion to the original poster - if you are set on St. charles please go on the east side for a property It can be kind of miserable to get from the west side of the river. and will add another 10-12 minutes to your commute to rolling meadows.
Also, there is a subdivision that is actually a west chicago address, but has St. Charles schools, cornerstone lakes. That is very nice and would be a great location for commuting from since it is farther east. I know a lot of folks in there that are happy with it.
Only bad thing I can say about St. Charles is that it is difficult to commute in and out of and there are hardly any jobs out here in the fox valley tri-cities area. Nice place to live but no one works here. If you are OK with that. You will probably end up commuting into schaumburg / northwest burbs or into Naperville like most here do.
BTW: I have lived in both Elmhurst and St charles. Elmhurst is very convenient, but there is definitely more of a snob factor there. And it is expensive for less home. If you don't care about going downtown I would say St. Charles. We go downtown once in a great while on the metra from Geneva. and that works out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs