Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:57 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,343,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
You can move to a lot of different cheaper places but are they really better than living in the Chicago or its suburbs? ... or Tenessee. Who wants to live in Tennessee?
The 20 Hottest U.S. Real Estate Markets in January 2016

The 20 Hottest U.S. Real Estate Markets in February 2016

Hottest Real Estate Markets of 2016 - Fortune

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 04-29-2016 at 09:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 AM

748 posts, read 832,434 times
Coming from NYC, the Chicago COL is so, so low. And those taxes pay for good schools, etc.

Where my extended family lives there are very low taxes. The schools are terrible. Private school ends up costing more than taxes.

Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default This is going to be a MUCH bigger issue than people realize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
Burb wise - take MI for example... you can live in an amazing burb town like Northville or Plymouth which is just as good as Hinsdale/Western Springs/La Grange/Wheaton/GE with just as goood performing schools and houses cost 35-50% less and taxes are 6% versus 10%, no toll roads or parking fees...

BUT you don't get the great public transportation/big city or all of the job opportunities... Its amazing here for the right transplants. If I grew up here, I might have different opinions especially leaving then coming back (hometown love) - just giving you a transplantee in point of view...
I tend to agree with JJski that folks are going to continue to weigh choices in the rest country VERY HARSHLY against the options in the greater Chicago region. There have been DECADES of really impressive improvement in many places that once would not have attracted any "professional-ish young families". I won't argue about the natural appeal for the "post college crowd" to flock to Lakeview or Wicker Park but when they decide that the choices of CPS or a costly private school for their offspring actaully make the 'burbs a better option it is all but inevitable that more than a few of them will also say "hey the town in Michigan or Texas or Ohio or Tennessee close to where I grew up or went to college is now a lot hipper than it used to be AND a lot more affordable AND has lots more jobs"...

The employment gains, shifts in recognizing that professional sports teams / entertainment options, AND MORE SANELY FUNDED schools / government are going to continue to draw all kinds of people OUT of Illinois until / unless significant reforms reverse the current negatives.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:05 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,250,428 times
The Fortune list is interesting to me. Perhaps Memphis is a good *value* for finding cheap houses, but in ToriaT's defense, would it necessarily be as good of a place to live than greater Chicago(?) Nashville I could see, but most of my friends who grew up in the mid-south would probably pause at least.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:36 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,987,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
The Fortune list is interesting to me. Perhaps Memphis is a good *value* for finding cheap houses, but in ToriaT's defense, would it necessarily be as good of a place to live than greater Chicago(?) Nashville I could see, but most of my friends who grew up in the mid-south would probably pause at least.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my boss who grew up in Tennessee. At the time, a friend of mine was preparing to move to Memphis for a job. I asked my boss to tell me some good stuff about Tennessee that I could relay to my friend. He said, "Honestly, I can't think of one, Tennessee really sucks and Memphis in particular is just plain awful." I decided not to give my friend his commentary.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:58 PM

161 posts, read 214,315 times
thanks all for the feedback. The whole thought of my dollar stretching more elsewhere vs Chicago is the struggle indeed. I actually have lived in Chicago before but it was under completely different circumstances - no kids, roommates, partying etc. I do not have family in the region (they're in an even more expensive city that I don't think is worth the price) so the only lure is the the city and all of its offerings. I also love the city pride vs. other cities that have so many transplants that there is no pride. On the flip side I know many would say I can get all the things Chicago has (on a smaller scale of course) elsewhere at a more affordable price offering. While I weigh these options, I do appreciate everyone sharing their personal thoughts. It really helps narrow it down.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:35 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf123 View Post
thanks all for the feedback. The whole thought of my dollar stretching more elsewhere vs Chicago is the struggle indeed. I actually have lived in Chicago before but it was under completely different circumstances - no kids, roommates, partying etc. I do not have family in the region (they're in an even more expensive city that I don't think is worth the price) so the only lure is the the city and all of its offerings. I also love the city pride vs. other cities that have so many transplants that there is no pride. On the flip side I know many would say I can get all the things Chicago has (on a smaller scale of course) elsewhere at a more affordable price offering. While I weigh these options, I do appreciate everyone sharing their personal thoughts. It really helps narrow it down.
Keep in mind that Illinois is suffering from the nation's most serious budget crisis (link below). I would advise against failing to factor this into your decision making or assume that it will be of no consequence. Personally, I'd think twice before moving anywhere in IL at this time.

Illinois Budget Crisis

Old 04-29-2016, 05:00 PM

768 posts, read 1,103,671 times
Surf, Chicago is awesome on so many levels as u already know - we are a young family, have 2 year old and a newborn, 30ish...Live close to city in a nice inner ring burb called La Grange - We visit Big City all the time... Its great, we sometimes go with kids but many times on date nites, wife and I to hit the hot new scenes...

Don't let the taxes and cost scare you. If you get the right relocation package, it can be a great life here. Midwestern peeps rock!!!

I also think the budget issues will work out eventually... I have a more positive outlook for the area...

Old 04-29-2016, 09:39 PM

335 posts, read 334,068 times
we think about this all of the time. We have been renting homes for 2 years now and have been holding out until we see where things go with IL. We've previously owned several homes, have 2 kids, in our mid 30's and 200k income. We definitely have choices with housing, but I don't feel "rich"... Probably due to COL (and Nordstrom )...

But seriously, we have entertained leaving the state. I love the east coast. We love NYC and DC. we think it's bad here? Forget it! At least here in Lagrange if we spend $700k on a house we'll have stellar schools. In Alexandria and most NYC suburbs you'll get a condo for that price and horrible schools. So, factor in 15k for private schools too. We've considered other areas (outside of Columbus as we have cousins there)... They have a much lower COL and wonderful schools, but... Boooorrrrriiiinnng.

So, idk, there's trade offs for everything. Someone who doesn't care about museums, dining options, theater, etc might appreciate a small suburb of Columbus. I just couldn't do it.

Still not ready to buy again here though, but totally sick of renting. If housing prices could kindly come down dramatically over the next 18 month so I can buy my dream house in center of town Lagrange for 650 instead of 1.5 mil I'd appreciate it

Old 04-30-2016, 06:02 AM

768 posts, read 1,103,671 times
Taco, so well put... Much better versed than my all over the place threads trying to say same thing..

We relocated/bought back in 2013 (really were leaning renting when we saw prices then) but relo package had buying bonus we would lose if rented. So we bought and now glad we did... Guessing you are keeping your finger on the real estate pulse here much more closely --- have you noticed prices dramatically increasing around us?

I feel like the magic and hot western corridor (close to city) is la grange, western springs, hinsdale, clarendon hills...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs