Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 04:37 PM

335 posts, read 334,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Understood. I'm just throwing caution to the wind that buying in situations where the market is in the middle or towards the back end of a strong bear run (no one knows exactly when this is until it hits) also carries its own levels of risk. I don't think many people looking to these hot real estate markets are acknowledging this risk (reminds me of the mindset in 2003-2006 for some of these markets). Nothing like buying that Apple stock at $125/share when everything was looking up, up, up on its way to over $130/share only to quickly fall back down to below $100/share in a matter of 6 months.
I agree. We aren't interested tho because of it's hotness. Sure that makes it attractive in terms of amenities and things to do, but we were more enthralled by the beauty, weather, and tax situation. I've lived in a concrete jungle my whole life. A change sounded good, then we fell in love and decided to go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 04:53 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJski View Post
We once moved away from our typical core downtown... Got a lot more house and still great schools - AND HATED IT... But we are krazy like that and have to be walking distance... Regardless of state pay attention to micro location...
Nothing crazy about that! Lots of city mice wouldn't be happy in the suburbs. We're suburb mice, and we would be miserable living in Chicago proper.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:01 PM

3,495 posts, read 2,185,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Pull all the links you'd like, it doesn't mean you understand my point.

The ratio of income to housing affordability is more favorable in Nashville than Chicago. This has been shown to you on several occasions (see the MiMi index as an example). The Chicago metro is #93/100, Nashville is #1. It has nothing to do with what I love or don't. I didn't bribe FreddieMac to refute you.

But for what it's worth, I love Chicago AND Nashville. You keep trying to twist this into me hating the Chicagoland area. Keep on trying and failing that crusade, it's not working.
I won't argue that Nashville is more "affordable" than Chicago. Agreed. However, affordability does not necessarily equate to a "good investment" if the definition of a good investment is making money on one's home purchase.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:05 PM

335 posts, read 334,068 times
Quote:
I won't argue that Nashville is more "affordable" than Chicago. Agreed. However, affordability does not necessarily equate to a "good investment" if the definition of a good investment is making money on one's home purchase.
We're all just going in circles. But, I vote for a city data road trip to Nashville and you'll all be packing your bags

In The Spotlight | Franklin, Tennessee - Rooted in Americana

Old 07-12-2016, 05:14 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,575 times
Quote:
I'm not a real estate investor. The only way I equate housing to "good investing" is freeing up money tied in housing to be used for much better gains.

In other words, I'd rather have a $1600 PITI payment and use the other $1000/mo for investing instead of that $1000 going poof to property taxes.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not a real estate investor. The only way I equate housing to "good investing" is freeing up money tied in housing to be used for much better gains.

In other words, I'd rather have a $1600 PITI payment and use the other $1000/mo for investing instead of that $1000 going poof to property taxes.
Can't argue with that which is why we bought an updated but modest (in terms of size) home in an excellent area with relatively low property taxes. After refinancing a couple years back our PITI is ~$1800/month. I consider that a good investment. It works for us for now. Eventually (probably 3-4 years from now) we will look to adding another bedroom, bathroom and formal dining room.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
RE question on additions.

I completely get adding a BR/BA, but is there any decent return on adding a formal dining room? Just curious. Most people I know rarely use such spaces, even in their larger homes. YMMV.

cheers

Quote:
Can't argue with that which is why we bought an updated but modest (in terms of size) home in an excellent area with relatively low property taxes. After refinancing a couple years back our PITI is ~$1800/month. I consider that a good investment. It works for us for now. Eventually (probably 3-4 years from now) we will look to adding another bedroom, bathroom and formal dining room.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
RE question on additions.

I completely get adding a BR/BA, but is there any decent return on adding a formal dining room? Just curious. Most people I know rarely use such spaces, even in their larger homes. YMMV.
J
cheers
For us it's less about the return and more about enlarging/extending the kitchen into the current combined dining area. This would allow us to add a small eat in kitchen area or island and then we would add a formal dining room off the other end of the kitchen, which would end up taking the guest bedroom as a result (so technically we'd have to add 2 bedrooms to the two existing bedrooms in order to have 4 total). We always sit down as a family to eat dinner and we also love to entertain so a formal dining room is becoming a near necessity for us. I can see how some families wouldn't use it though if they had a large eat in area.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:14 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,249,331 times
Quote:
For us it's less about the return and more about enlarging/extending the kitchen into the current combined dining area. This would allow us to add a small eat in kitchen area or island and then we would add a formal dining room off the other end of the kitchen, which would end up taking the guest bedroom as a result (so technically we'd have to add 2 bedrooms to the two existing bedrooms in order to have 4 total). We always sit down as a family to eat dinner and we also love to entertain so a formal dining room is becoming a near necessity for us. I can see how some families wouldn't use it though if they had a large eat in area.
Yeah, that about nails it. The built in eating areas with islands, etc.
pretty much eclipse the need to bother with formal dining spaces,
spare the rare massive holiday gathering for most families.

cheers

Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 AM

748 posts, read 832,434 times
Quote:
My retired parents stand to increase their income by about $18k a year by relocating from IL. $8k from property taxes, $10k from using the excess home equity after they sell their home.

For different reasons, my wife will take a 25% pay cut, my salary remains the same (working remote), so we come out ahead by about $20k/year.

No need to double your salary before it becomes advantageous to move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
Heck, you don't even need to double your salary. Between savings from no state tax and low property tax bills (and lower everything else) even if I keep a similar salary and my husbands goes up a little, we'll be so far ahead it will be ridiculous. This is type of house we'd probably buy:

https://www.redfin.com/TN/Franklin/4.../home/87880194 With a whopping mortgage payment of 2300! Haven't paid that little for housing in years. Plus great schools, etc.... Sure, no walk to town but that's ok. It'll force me to cook more! Like today, I can't tear myself away from the temptation to walk to downtown Lagrange and have lunch at francescas (blowing $40). I will miss their desserts though
Taco - that's a beautiful house. But I personally can't have a situation where I need to drive ~40 minutes to get to work (very young children at home).

numberfive - with two working adults in our household, and not paying for private school, we'd have to find all of the following, which is why we're here in the first place

1) good schools
2) a location near transit or under a 20 minute drive to work
3) SFH under 400K

and

4) jobs

It's really #4 that is the kicker. A 25% pay cut would more than erase whatever we pay in property taxes and a higher housing costs.

Best of luck, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs