Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:18 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,082,582 times

Advertisements

Look into the Homewood/Flossmoo area. The Metra Electric line goes right to the U of A and it's an easy drive to Oak Lawn. Or at least somewhere else south or southwest.. What's drawing you to Elmhurst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 01:11 PM

34 posts, read 39,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Look into the Homewood/Flossmoo area. The Metra Electric line goes right to the U of A and it's an easy drive to Oak Lawn. Or at least somewhere else south or southwest.. What's drawing you to Elmhurst?
I think it's such a cute town! Great schools, beautiful houses (affordable custom build in my price range of $1M), wonderful parks, lovely downtown area, and proximity to downtown.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:12 PM

34 posts, read 39,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Look into La Grange.
Unfortunately, the properties I like in LaGrange all feed into Gurrie MS, which I am not a fan of.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,102,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminimagk View Post
We are relocating to Chicago: I will be working in Oak Lawn and my husband will work at University of Chicago. We have focused our search on Hinsdale/C. Hills/Burr Ridge, but are thinking we should look at other options in case that doesn't pan out. Not interested in LaGrange/Western Springs. However, I love Elmhurst. I am concerned about my husband's commute though. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
No...the Eisenhower to the Dan Ryan is a nightmare and there is no direct public transportation route.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:24 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,999,070 times
Quote:
I think it's such a cute town! Great schools, beautiful houses (affordable custom build in my price range of $1M), wonderful parks, lovely downtown area, and proximity to downtown.
Just make sure you keep an eye on your tax bill in that area. Taxes are high everywhere, but they seem especially high in some of the south suburbs.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:35 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,493,153 times
Default What???

Quote:
Unfortunately, the properties I like in LaGrange all feed into Gurrie MS, which I am not a fan of.
The majority of La Grange is served by D102, are there are WIDE RANGE of lovely homes currently available at MANY price points. In contrast, D105(s) includes schools in Hodgkins and Countryside, wonderful for those wishing to have a more diverse range of classmates, but perhaps not as desirable for those that understand the single greatest predictor of academic achievement remains parental level of success...

While I can certainly see the appeal of some the new construction built south of 47th St in La Grange one also must understand that the discount is due to both the school situation and the significantly different access to the core of town / train...

There are some truly "to die for homes" in the heart of La Grange (served by D102) that one would have to really jump at if they are in budget -- https://www.redfin.com/IL/La-Grange/.../home/14061469

Range of options in Western Springs is also very hard to find fault with:
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Western-Sp.../home/13297467

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Western-Sp.../home/14063033

Old 04-05-2016, 09:50 PM

40 posts, read 50,623 times
No

Old 04-07-2016, 10:13 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,089,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
Just make sure you keep an eye on your tax bill in that area. Taxes are high everywhere, but they seem especially high in some of the south suburbs.
Yes including Homewood/Flossmoor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs