Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite area?
Barrington area 3 21.43%
Oak Brook/Hinsdale area 8 57.14%
North Shore 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 02:33 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,085,817 times

Advertisements

All of these places are known to be wealthy, prestigious communities with top notch schools. I'm curious to know what's everyone's favorite and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 02:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
Default All good options, lots of differences...

I'm happy to acknowledge that each area involves some trade-offs.

The costs of a nice family sized home that is convenient to the core of Barrington's town center / rail lines is probably the most affordable now. The downsides are mostly that nearby employment is pretty rare and trains are not as swift / numerous as other towns.

North Shore has the lake and what might be the widest range of high performing elementary districts that feed into what is arguably the most desirable high school, New Trier. Downsides are that the range of elementary schools means some towns are quite splintered, some are outrageously costly, are their pockets of truly generational wealth that even in the best circumstances are somewhat of a challenge for raising kids...

Hinsdale is quite different that Oak Brook though the most desirable parts of Oak Brook generally are served by Hinsdale Central. The sorts of developments in Oak Brook are not generally very conducive to walking to any kid friendly places. In contrast Hinsdale (and most of Clarendon Hills which is more and more essentially a sub-area of Hinsdale even though it has its own governance...) are among the most kid-walkable places around. It is often like some kind of "Our Gang" comedy from the 40s-50s, with little "Spankys, Alfalfas, Violets" mixed in with kids whose parents may be from India, Taiwan, or London... Downside is increasingly cost, with even modest Cape Cods seeing pressure from tear down buyers pushing even the smallest lots well north of half a million. In that context it is sort of weird to call Oak Brook a bargain, but there are so many really generously sized homes, with interesting design / features / large lots and very low taxes relative to what one gets that one would be foolish not to give consideration to the excellent amenities.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:53 PM

768 posts, read 1,104,946 times
I don't like oakbrook as place to live (just great shopping) - out of your list: I do like hinsdale, la grange, western springs, clarendon hills, what I consider the very specific pinpoint hinsdale ((area)) referenced here in this post...

So hinsdale area Benefits I see are more central to IL, easier to go anywhere and more vibrant cores. The schools are great and downtown chicago access is a breeze - we uber or take metra all the time to enjoy big city. Its also warmer by like 10 degrees...

I love Lakes (grew up in MI) but NS just does not feel like a beachy traverse city type area (in any part) which is what we enjoy. Although Evanston is amazing on par with naperville.

As frequent travelers to MI (where family still is) hinsdale area is also more convenient in that regard...

Last edited by JJski; 03-13-2016 at 06:29 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 09:03 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
I picked the north shore. Mostly because of the lake, and I don't really like Oak Brook other than the shopping mall. I do like Hinsdale very much and other suburbs such as La Grange and Riverside, as well as River Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs