Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:19 PM

335 posts, read 335,011 times

Advertisements

I know it seems silly to even ponder, but has anyone living in LG or LGP ever felt unsafe? We are moving into a rental there this week, and oddly enough in the past week there was a daytime murder in Brookfield just a few blocks east of the house we are renting, and Friday night an armed robbery of 2 teen boys walking around. I have googled and read about many strange crimes in the area. I never even considered it to be unsafe as it's always been on my list of most desirable places to live in Chicagoland. Pretty sad to read about, and I know "these things can happen anywhere", but I'm wondering if it seems to be an increasing trend due to proximity to places like Maywood.. or am I just looking way too much into it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:00 AM

165 posts, read 310,378 times
The area is very very safe, but that doesn't mean crime is nonexistent (ANYWHERE). The armed robbery was located in LaGrange very close to downtown. Very abnormal for the area. The Brookfield shooting was very much a tragic and freak incident (scary, <2 blocks from my house). The victim was a supervisor for a security firm in Desplaines who had just returned from testifying in a criminal court case to something that he had witnessed. As he pulled up to his home a car drove up next to him and shot him. Almost certainly relates to his testifying in the court case, and not neighborhood related at all.. Very sad as he was only 33 and leaves behind a wife and young child. I will say that the response by residents in Brookfield has been inspirational. The community has rallied and raised multiple tens of thousands of dollars already through donations, raffles, local restaurant fundraisers, etc (impressive for a community of people that while comfortable don't have a TON of extra money ... It is a very tight knit community with caring people. LaGrange and Brookfield are very safe, but unfortunately bad things can occasionally happen anywhere!

Old 02-01-2016, 07:27 AM

I know, I know... And that is horrible about the Brookfield shooting! Dear god!

And, I know there is no such place where crime is nonexistent, it's just a strange coincidence for these two armed robberies to happen literally days before we move in. I've never questioned walking around alone with my two young children and I don't want to worry or be that type of person... However, armed robberies right in a downtown/relatively urban area are no joke (at least IMO). Honestly, what if that happened to your teen boy on Friday night? Walking around your neighborhood? Would you or would you not consider leaving? I really don't know what I would do. I hope I'm never in that situation, but I think that is pretty serious. It happened again Saturday night in La Grange Park.

Last edited by Taco1234; 02-01-2016 at 07:37 AM..

Old 02-01-2016, 08:18 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,826,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
I know, I know... And that is horrible about the Brookfield shooting! Dear god!

And, I know there is no such place where crime is nonexistent, it's just a strange coincidence for these two armed robberies to happen literally days before we move in. I've never questioned walking around alone with my two young children and I don't want to worry or be that type of person... However, armed robberies right in a downtown/relatively urban area are no joke (at least IMO). Honestly, what if that happened to your teen boy on Friday night? Walking around your neighborhood? Would you or would you not consider leaving? I really don't know what I would do. I hope I'm never in that situation, but I think that is pretty serious. It happened again Saturday night in La Grange Park.
A Mercedes Benz blew up in Hinsdale pulling on to I-294 back in the 80's (it was a mob hit). It had pretty much zero impact on Hinsdale's reputation of being a safe suburb.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:20 AM

165 posts, read 310,378 times
It's understand, and I share your sentiments. But I guess you have to consider what the alternative is. La Grange has pretty darn low violent crime. I mean I guess you could move out to the country and the rate could be lower, but then they probably have a higher rate of serious auto accidents or something. I grew up in Downers Grove which is a little further west and a little more suburban than the inner-ring suburbs. I remember something similar happening and the whole town was worried and up in arms. Unfortunately there's just not that much you can do to hedge against the possibility of a rare, random, and unexpected crime in your neighborhood. So each individual moving to a particular town has to reflect on these things, look at these towns and decide whether you see something fundamental to the town itself that would lead to more of this in the future or not.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
A Mercedes Benz blew up in Hinsdale pulling on to I-294 back in the 80's (it was a mob hit). It had pretty much zero impact on Hinsdale's reputation of being a safe suburb.
Woah-- yikes! Glad I'm not in the mob

Old 02-02-2016, 12:12 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,954,574 times
I've read about these incidents. Scary and tragic. Both are safe places particularly La Grange but crime can and does happen anywhere. I don't think its a trend rather I think its a couple of robbers who have found a place to prey upon people. Hopefully they will be caught.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:36 PM

Yep... I agree. I haven't heard about them being caught as of yet. Again-- don't want to sound like a paranoid person looking for utopia, just that it was in such a seemingly safe place and not off the beaten path, etc... For instance- we move in Thursday. Before this I wouldn't have thought twice about walking alone Friday night with my kids while my husband is at a work function to get dinner. Odd to actually think twice about it or wonder if I'll be targeted as a 100 lb defenseless looking woman with toddlers. I sure hope not... But, it's a bummer that I'll actually be thinking about it at all. I guess it's never bad to be prepared.

As for the Hinsdale car bomb- that sounds like that guy was specifically targeted as his business was interfering with mob business. Odd as it sounds, that wouldn't "bother" me in the sense that I wouldn't worry that I might be next. With gun toting dudes running around holding up defenseless looking people-- I have to worry.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:05 PM

768 posts, read 1,106,507 times
We live in la grange - walk around with infant and toddler all the time. Everyone shares your fear at the moment. It was a community shocker but we still feel safer in LG (which is statistically justified) then almost all other towns.

You will luv the town and on behalf of your new neighbors - we apologize you had to experience this as a first impression.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 PM

Thanks! Ha, yes I'm from the general area and have never thought a bad thing about the place. I'm chalking it up to bad timing (as far as us moving in the week this happened) and keeping fingers crossed that those fools are caught ASAP. See ya Thursday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs