Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 22,083 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We currently live in a condo in unincorporated Des Plaines, and we have a 2-year old. I know what the best schools on the North Shore are, and it's time for us to move to either a townhouse or a house. My future schools of choice are Glenbrook North, Glenbrook South, New Trier, Deerfield HS, Stevenson.
The problem is..well, we can't afford much. Knowing ourselves, moving into a larger place in a cheaper area until our son starts going to school and then moving won't work - he'll go to school in 4 years, and I don't want to move into a place for just 4 years. I'd like for him to optimally start with the same kids that he'll end up graduating high school with, so I don't' want to move school districts (even elementary) when he's in, let's say 2nd or 3rd or 4th grade.
We were looking at unincorporated Deefrield (Stevenson HS), but the taxes there will add about $400 to our monthly payment. But, as I understand, anything that feeds into Stevenson is Lake County, therefore - high taxes... For these $400, we can have a larger mortgage somewhere else.
So that leaves Northbrook and Glenview (I think Wilmette with New Trier is out of financial reach completely)..
So, can anyone tell me some subdivisions that we can look into - top price would be $320 (if there's assessment), and probably $350 if there's no assessment... I'd like 3 bedrooms and a basement
I know this is close to impossible, but maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:47 PM

137 posts, read 202,900 times
You would be able to get a nice 3 bedroom 1.5 bathroom townhouse with a yard in Wilmette or Glencoe. Wilmette has excellent schools. It is close to Evanston and both communities share many amenities. Glencoe is also very nice and is where I will probably be moving to when I have kids. You might be able to get something in East Glenview, which is near Wilmette and has New Trier and Avoca Schools. It is the area south of Lake, east of Harms, north of Glenview, west of the Edens. Do not forget Evanston although your budget wont get you mich at all except for maybe a new 4 bedroom house ina transitional area. The transitional areas are very nice. They typically share schools with the wealthy areas and property is cheap. I would also recommend Park Ridge. It is very pretty and has great schools. Glenbrook South should be your last choice. It is not a very good school and the elementary and middle schools also lack.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 22,083 times
transitional areas - something like east of McCormic, west of Greenbay on Golf/Emerson or Church?
no, thanks - I drive there every day on my way to work, sometimes I'm even scared to -drive- through there, not to mention live there. Plus Evanston HS is not something that I'd look forward to, with metal detectors and security guards at every doorway.
Glenbrook South is just a bit below Glenbrook North, (although also below Maine South) on published reports, both are in the top 20 (according to Chicago Tribune).
Glencoe - I wish I could afford it, of course it's very nice.
East Glenview... I'll look into it some more, but I think I saw that for about $400, we can get a property slated for tear-down, or, as they say in the listings - 'live or build, large lot size'...

I was looking for more concrete names of subdivisions, streets, etc where we can look. We're thinking of possibly Triumvera complex on Milwaukee, or Inverary in Deerfield (but, Deerfield has those 8K taxes)

Old 02-05-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm suprised to hear you say that you are scared to drive through Emerson. Both streets have a lot of development going on. You should take a look at the City of Evanston webpage and view the redevelopment plans. There are newer single family homes from 1990 and on available for $300,000. Church street is more expensive (near Evanston High School) You could get a new townhouse for $389,900+. It is by Cyrus Homes. Evanston High School is excellent. It has more minority students, and most will agree that minorities do not do as well on state tests. Evanston Township High School has excellent programs. It was featured on the NBC Nightly News last year, being praised for its advanced security. Just so you know New Trier has the same thing. I don't know if you heard of Laurie Dann? The girl from Glencoe who shot several students at a school in Highland Park and Hubbard Woods in Winnetka. You would make a boat load of money if you invested in Evanston. Crime is droppping, school ratings are going back up, housing is skyrocketing. You cannot afford to be picky. Remember you can barely afford Evanston. You can find some nice smaller townhomes in Glencoe on Green Bay for as little as $290,000. Wilmette has townhomes for around $325,000 on Lake Avenue.

This property is in Skokie but is in Evanston Township. It has the better Evanston schools, but low Skokie taxes. Quick Access to Walker Elementary or Rhodes (Timberidge) Magnet K - 8 School.
Single Family Home - 9153 EAST PRAIRIE RD, SKOKIE, IL, 60203 - Realtor.com

Also in Skokie. Look at this New Construction townhome. It is an incredible value.

Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op - 9222 N Ewing Unit: 302, Evanston, IL, 60203 - Realtor.com

Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Wilmette. It is in what local kids call "Wilmetto" the Wilmette Ghetto.

Single Family Home - 708 Lawler AV, Wilmette, IL, 60091 - Realtor.com

Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
[quote=brenty;2734470]

You would make a boat load of money if you invested in Evanston. /quote]

It scares me whenever I hear anyone make such broad statements about any area. One always needs to seriously consider the poster's motivation.

I was born in Evanston and know it very well. I love the town and understand its many challenges. A whopping 34% of students in the Evanston TS school district are low income, according to the the state report card.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:35 AM

That 34% will begin to decrease as low-income housing is phased out in 2010.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenty View Post
That 34% will begin to decrease as low-income housing is phased out in 2010.
Phasing out new low income ( and affordable) housing development is not going to put money in the pockets of those who are currently low income.

One of the things that distingusihes Evanston from many other communities has been its commitment to affordable housing. It is one of the most balanced areas in the greater Chicagoland area.

Some view this as it's strength and other's not.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:40 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa-m View Post
transitional areas - something like east of McCormic, west of Greenbay on Golf/Emerson or Church?
no, thanks - I drive there every day on my way to work, sometimes I'm even scared to -drive- through there, not to mention live there. Plus Evanston HS is not something that I'd look forward to, with metal detectors and security guards at every doorway.
Glenbrook South is just a bit below Glenbrook North, (although also below Maine South) on published reports, both are in the top 20 (according to Chicago Tribune).
Glencoe - I wish I could afford it, of course it's very nice.
East Glenview... I'll look into it some more, but I think I saw that for about $400, we can get a property slated for tear-down, or, as they say in the listings - 'live or build, large lot size'...

I was looking for more concrete names of subdivisions, streets, etc where we can look. We're thinking of possibly Triumvera complex on Milwaukee, or Inverary in Deerfield (but, Deerfield has those 8K taxes)
Don't take the schools' rankings so seriously. Whether a school is ranked 12th or 15th vs. 19th, etc makes no difference. For example, one's future is not at all limited by attending GB South vs GB North.
What matters is how seriously he takes his Education and how much you and your husband support him towards succeeding. Based on your posts, this should not be a problem at all. People get get too caught up in the 'good schools,' 'bad schools' debate. It's understandable, but reality is that it's up to the students and parents to make sure their children succeed. The school itself is less of a factor than one might think. Of course, you do want to avoid schools that provide a dangerous environment (as referenced by Evanston HS).
Living in the North Shore can be frustrating since the housing costs are so high. I wouldn't necessarily limit myself to the communities with 'the best schools,' especially since your budget is modest. Give the other towns a fair chance and you might end up with a better housing situations and schools that give your son good opportunities. I don't know the area that well, so it's hard for me to suggest specific communities, but some areas are certainly less expensive than others and not necessarily 'worse.'

Old 02-06-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

Living in the North Shore can be frustrating since the housing costs are so high. I wouldn't necessarily limit myself to the communities with 'the best schools,' especially since your budget is modest. '
I agree with you that too many get too wound up with being in the best school districts which often has far more to do with parental needs than the child. And how a school ranks today may not be the same way it ranks in ten years.

I also am concerned with the social aspects of education. It's often times harder on a child to be one of the have nots, in a school where the majority may have too much. It sometimes leads to erroneous assumptions on both parts and come middle school and beyond, the material things often seem like they matter to kids, more than they should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs