Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 09:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I've searched for statistics on which towns have more working mothers to no avail. But I do suspect that there is a lower percentage of moms who stay home in Oak Park, simply because it allows for quick commutes to and from the Loop, which is the largest job center in our metro area. Most of the working mothers I know of in Glen Ellyn work out in the burbs, out of home offices, or have older children.

That said, I've heard plenty of stories about the Real Housewives of Oak Park from multiple sources. It's still a wealthy suburb with the same trappings as other wealthy suburbs. It's not Portland or Austin, TX.
Yes, it's largely a wealthy suburb, but I disagree that it has the same trappings as other suburbs to the same extent. There are degrees of difference.

"Real housewives of Oak Park"? I think you're confusing that with this: https://www.facebook.com/Real-Housew...7561104319706/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Chicagoland has a shameful history of racial intolerance, and I don't doubt that these undertones exist in any majority-white suburb. Perhaps the kids in Wheaton feel empowered to express racist attitudes more by having other social conservatives around them? I don't know.

But Wheaton is changing. I have seen outward expressions of affection by gay couples in public places. Wheaton North High School is now 12% Latino students and Wheaton Warrenville South is 16%. The public elementary schools are now 17% Latino. It's not the Wheaton of 1990.
If that's the case, I'd shiver to know what Wheaton of 1990 is like.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I agree with this sediment, and with such a substantial Latino subset in Wheaton schools I find it difficult to believe that someone could feel like "one of the few Latino families in her area." It's simply not true. And I've not seen any trappings of exclusion in my nearly three years in Wheaton, subtle or otherwise. I'm sure it happens, as it does EVERYWHERE, but to suggest that a single moronic friend and his parents are somehow emblematic of a town of nearly 60,000 people is downright ludicrous. For goodness sake, back in January a Wheaton City Councilwoman became the FIRST EVER Hispanic elected to the position of Lieutenant Governor IN THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES!

About Evelyn | Bruce Rauner
Evelyn Sanguinetti will be Illinois’ first Hispanic lieutenant governor | Chicanísima Chicago
Wheaton City Council members happy for Sanguinetti's win | mySuburbanLife.com
https://youtu.be/ISHEAbXAoA8

Sometimes folks just need to get involved in their community! Evelyn's story should put to rest any idea of a systematic "subtle exclusion" of Latinos in Wheaton:
"Moronic friend"? Shame on you for minimizing what he's going through. Your lack of empathy only shows out of touch with the issues that non-whites face in predominately white towns. The friend's kid was the only non-white kid in his class and had no non-white friends, not due to a lack of trying. Also, if you had read my post, you would have seen where I said this was just is experience and didn't indicate a "trend".

As for your "sometimes folks just need to get involved in their community" comment, this just reeks of the double standard that non-whites just need to adopt that which is culturally acceptable to the majority in order to be "included". This is exactly what my friend's child didn't accept, to be the same, which is what started his troubles with the "majority".

As for Evelyn's story, the only thing it puts to rest is that she worked hard, played the game, and now works for Bruce Rauner. I'd say the last one is like shooting herself in the foot.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
If that's the case, I'd shiver to know what Wheaton of 1990 is like.
Well, it had been a "dry town" just four years earlier, so...

Old 12-08-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's largely a wealthy suburb, but I disagree that it has the same trappings as other suburbs to the same extent. There are degrees of difference.
Sure there are, but is the chasm really as big as people like to think it is? And the Wheaton/Oak Park differences may seem quite striking in this age of The Big Sort, but I would argue that two towns are actually quite a bit more similar than the common narrative suggests. And of course we aren't really talking about Wheaton here for the OP's situation... We are talking about Glencoe or Winnetka or Highland Park.

Now if I were a sexual or racial minority looking to reduce my risk of exposure to bigots, I would probably pick Evanston. But you can never truly eliminate this risk. The OP has already ruled out the density and small lot size of Evanston, so other suggestions are needed.

Quote:
"Real housewives of Oak Park"? I think you're confusing that with this: https://www.facebook.com/Real-Housew...7561104319706/
Gross. Maybe in Oak Park there would be more shame involved. Or at least humility.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:42 AM

130 posts, read 254,672 times
I do love Evanston- I think it's great. It's just not the best place if you want a little land for your kids and dogs to be able to run around. If I could get a bigger lot in Evanston for a reasonable price, I'd be here forever... but that's very unlikely. Thus, our branching out to nearby places like Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Winnetka, etc. Seems no one has really had anything to say about Glenview at all.

And yes, Wheaton is out of the picture for us for sure.

Quote:
Sure there are, but is the chasm really as big as people like to think it is? And the Wheaton/Oak Park differences may seem quite striking in this age of The Big Sort, but I would argue that two towns are actually quite a bit more similar than the common narrative suggests. And of course we aren't really talking about Wheaton here for the OP's situation... We are talking about Glencoe or Winnetka or Highland Park.

Now if I were a sexual or racial minority looking to reduce my risk of exposure to bigots, I would probably pick Evanston. But you can never truly eliminate this risk. The OP has already ruled out the density and small lot size of Evanston, so other suggestions are needed.

Gross. Maybe in Oak Park there would be more shame involved. Or at least humility.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:15 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
"Moronic friend"? Shame on you for minimizing what he's going through. Your lack of empathy only shows out of touch with the issues that non-whites face in predominately white towns. The friend's kid was the only non-white kid in his class and had no non-white friends, not due to a lack of trying. Also, if you had read my post, you would have seen where I said this was just is experience and didn't indicate a "trend".

As for your "sometimes folks just need to get involved in their community" comment, this just reeks of the double standard that non-whites just need to adopt that which is culturally acceptable to the majority in order to be "included". This is exactly what my friend's child didn't accept, to be the same, which is what started his troubles with the "majority".

As for Evelyn's story, the only thing it puts to rest is that she worked hard, played the game, and now works for Bruce Rauner. I'd say the last one is like shooting herself in the foot.
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. This friend is moronic and so are the parents:

Quote:
Everything is under the radar, there are no racist words involved, but the way he's being treat (not only by "friends" but his "friends" parents too) is nothing short of disgusting…
And I stand by my claim that those "friends" are not emblematic of my town of nearly 60,000 people.

I think you're sorely misinformed about where your friend lives. Ethnically, Wheaton's schools are nearly as diverse as Oak Park's, and they actually have greater economic diversity. Sure there's a heavy WASP component, but the idea that your friend's son is in a school bereft of Latino kids is misguided. When I said, "get involved," I was not at all suggesting your friend or her son "adopt that which is culturally acceptable to the majority," but instead just get involved anywhere, including with other Latinos around Wheaton. Find a niche, volunteer, build a network. Connections don't happen while sitting on haunches. There are literally dozens of community organizations, youth outreaches, and charities around town that would be ecstatic to help your friend and her son connect with peers. Do they go to church? Several Wheaton churches have well attended Spanish language services. Even Evelyn could be a resource. She's frequently in Wheaton and has open meetings with residents. You may not like who she "works for," but in her pursuit of cultural balance for her own children (in Wheaton), she likely created a Rolodex of resources and connections. Heck, even someone like this guy, who runs a Spanish school and is involved with different Latino meetups around town, could be a valuable resource:

!OLE¡ Wheaton | Contact Us

Without knowing your friend's current or future needs:

DuPage Center Wheaton | Metropolitan Family Services
Immigrant Solidarity DuPage | Who We Are
People's Resource Center: Our Partners
Wheaton Youth Outreach
World Relief DuPage: Stand With The Vulnerable
DuPage United
ICIRR March | Saturday, October 5th, Wheaton
Iglesia del Pueblo| Wheaton Bible Church
Puente | Community Unit School District 200
"Engage 200" Community Engagement | Community Unit School District 200
Latino Outreach Center | College of DuPage
B.R.I.D.G.E. | Wheaton College
Democratic Party of Milton Township - Meetings
Welcome to Wheaton! | ILLINOIS COALITION FOR IMMIGRANT AND REFUGEE RIGHTS
There's Room at the Table | ILLINOIS COALITION FOR IMMIGRANT AND REFUGEE RIGHTS
"Wheaton Reads 2015" aims to celebrate diversity | Daily Herald
Immigrants seek refuge, resources in DuPage County | Suburban Life
Supporters hope new Wheaton mural celebrates diversity, togetherness | Daily Herald

FWIW the city puts on an annual diversity fair:

Wheaton World Tour 2015 - City of Wheaton
Wheaton celebrates diversity with third annual Wheaton World Tour | Suburban Life
Community Relations Commission - City of Wheaton

She may not need the above services, but she and her son might find friends in the Wheaton residents running them.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 12-08-2015 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 09:39 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Highland Park has a long-standing reputation for being more liberal than the rest of the "non-Evanston North Shore", and the schools are actually somewhat diverse (white/Hispanic diverse). And you can find the larger lot size compared to Evanston that the OP was looking for. This might be a good choice for them.

And Highland Park is just a lovely suburb. Charming vintage and modern houses, lots of trees, ravines, the lake, a nice downtown area... It's very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRF View Post
I do love Evanston- I think it's great. It's just not the best place if you want a little land for your kids and dogs to be able to run around. If I could get a bigger lot in Evanston for a reasonable price, I'd be here forever... but that's very unlikely. Thus, our branching out to nearby places like Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Winnetka, etc. Seems no one has really had anything to say about Glenview at all.

And yes, Wheaton is out of the picture for us for sure.
While some have recommended Highland Park, I don't see it as being remarkably more socially forward than any of the other locations. While it certainly is a bit more liberal than Winnetka or Glenview, I don't think you'll find the vibe you're looking for. I can't think of anywhere that will give you the vibe you seek. The closest thing to a Chapel Hill, Madison, etc, that you find is in Evanston, and Evanston being so close to the city, you have the challenges that you already mentioned.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
While some have recommended Highland Park, I don't see it as being remarkably more socially forward than any of the other locations. While it certainly is a bit more liberal than Winnetka or Glenview, I don't think you'll find the vibe you're looking for. I can't think of anywhere that will give you the vibe you seek. The closest thing to a Chapel Hill, Madison, etc, that you find is in Evanston, and Evanston being so close to the city, you have the challenges that you already mentioned.
Highland Park may not be perfect, but it's probably better for a same-sex-parented family than, say, Orland Park.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:09 AM

130 posts, read 254,672 times
You're the first person who has mentioned Glenview and you referred to it as more conservative. Why do you feel that way? (Not saying you're wrong- just curious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs