Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:24 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,830 times

Advertisements

The south suburbs seem to have the reputation of not being the more desirable suburbs from what I've seen. Shame because there are good communities in the south suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2015, 07:59 AM

363 posts, read 439,464 times
That is true Army Guy, it's because there are more blacks here than in N/NW suburbs. But HF*has a*reputation of being integrated, not segregated, and is solidly middle to upper-middle class.

Old 12-17-2015, 01:37 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Whites moving out makes the city go to crap? Take a hike.

Who REALLY cares about test scores? Blame common core for them being low.
People who care about home equity, that's who! I'm sure there's some who don't care but if I'm going to be shelling out $1,900-$2,500 per month for housing costs and subjecting myself to the mercy of property tax increases, then I want some prospect of increased value. Otherwise I'll just rent, or buy in a place where I can get equity so I don't have to work until I'm 98 years old.

You can rally about how unfair the common core is all you want but that's what home buyers have to go on, and it does very much matter (at least with suburbs).

Old 12-21-2015, 03:08 PM

65 posts, read 103,623 times
I'd prefer Arlington Heights in every way you could try fool me into there. I'd prefer Antioch, Gurnee, Carol Stream, Schaumburg, Downers Grove, Naperville, Plainfield, Palatine, Barrington, heck, probs even STREAMWOOD, which is.... beugh.

Location is undesirable. Schools are average and below average. Large population on Welfare it seems. Elmwood Park/Oak Lawn is cheap, but more desirable even, although it is not a favorite.

Look, take any NW, N or W suburb. I'll take Palatine, not too poor, and not the NS either. Take your Homewood. Mmm, still prefer Palatine.

Let's take now.... Addison. Still more desirable. Roselle? Still better.

Sorry, the South had it's good times, now it is the North's time.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:00 PM

300 posts, read 638,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiAreaGuy View Post
I'd prefer Arlington Heights in every way you could try fool me into there. I'd prefer Antioch, Gurnee, Carol Stream, Schaumburg, Downers Grove, Naperville, Plainfield, Palatine, Barrington, heck, probs even STREAMWOOD, which is.... beugh.

Location is undesirable. Schools are average and below average. Large population on Welfare it seems. Elmwood Park/Oak Lawn is cheap, but more desirable even, although it is not a favorite.

Look, take any NW, N or W suburb. I'll take Palatine, not too poor, and not the NS either. Take your Homewood. Mmm, still prefer Palatine.

Let's take now.... Addison. Still more desirable. Roselle? Still better.

Sorry, the South had it's good times, now it is the North's time.

Large population in H-F on welfare?

You north burbs folk are so misinformed and very amusing, probably haven't been out here in years.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Large population in H-F on welfare?

You north burbs folk are so misinformed and very amusing, probably haven't been out here in years.
It's usually a generalization tossed out by whites who fear being housed near poor blacks and Hispanics. Doesn't really matter if they're affluent minorities or not because it's safer (in their opinion)to generalize them all rather than make a mistake.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,333,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentExpress View Post
Paying a $7k tax bill on a $200k house in a neighborhood that's experiencing white flight isn't exactly an appealing proposition.
This is pretty much it. We used to live in Flossmoor in the 1980s and it's far less desirable now than it was back then.

Peoples' attitudes towards Homewood and Flossmoor don't have much to do with emotion or hate. People who choose not to reside in those towns are not haters. The question isn't 'why the hate of Homewood and Flossmoor?' The question, to me, is 'Why should I buy a home in a town that's universally perceived as declining and has no business leading it to raise the already insane property taxes in perpetuity only to eventually sell the home for less than what I paid for it?'

I know someone who just sold his home in Flossmoor for $100K less than purchase price after only 3 years; if I had to guess, purchase price was <$500K so that's a huge percentage loss. We have family friends trying to sell their house (an upscale one) in Flossmoor now and they can't even give it away for 20% less than what it cost them to build 20-22 years back. That's 1 20% loss in nominal terms and a LOT more than that after adjusting for inflation. One reason is the taxes ($30K/annum) stay the same no matter how little they sell it for and buyers know the taxes will rise in perpetuity (at a fast clip). Unless the buyer gets the house for $500-600K (which is a 50% loss to the owners), it's unlikely that they will be able to break even when the home sells. Unless obtained at a fire sale price, buyers know homes in these areas are depreciating assets which, over time, become liabilities.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:11 AM

57 posts, read 63,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentExpress View Post
Paying a $7k tax bill on a $200k house in a neighborhood that's experiencing white flight isn't exactly an appealing proposition.
This.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Flossmoor/.../home/12849033

8200sqft custom house for $450k. You'd also be paying more in taxes per month than you would be on your mortgage. All that money for no equity, and it's only going to get worse.

Might as well buy a $1M+ beachfront home in Miller Beach or Pleasant Prairie. Your monthly payment would be less.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:47 PM

17 posts, read 57,570 times
I agree with the comments above. We had seriously considered Flossmoor but just couldn't get past the high taxes and declining property values. It's sad so many people are losing money after 10-20 years in their home. We really wanted to make it work in Flossmoor, but couldn't take that risk.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM

57 posts, read 63,766 times
Maybe people are down on H/F because it's just so fun to look at the prices of houses like you turned the clock back to 1992.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Flossmoor/.../home/12661086

This 4400sqft McMansion would be $800k in any "desirable" suburb, yet in Floosmoor it's $359k- and you'd still be paying more to the government than to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs