Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 08:51 AM

418 posts, read 906,227 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks, apologies if this is a beaten topic but am curious to get some thoughts from out of state transplants that have moved to Naperville.

1. What's your experience like?
2. Have neighbors and parents from your kids school been welcoming?
3. Has it been easy for the kids to make friends?
4. Did you have to join any sort of social or country club?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 12:29 PM

97 posts, read 144,057 times
I do not yet live in Naperville but my children started school there this fall (ex moved there over the summer, I’m in the process to improve my proximity to the kids). My opinion:

1. I’d do a search here. You will see many with first hand experience and can draw your own conclusions. Keep in mind that people who are satisfied do not generally make postings, it is typically those with an issue or question. There is a reason why it is one of the most commonly mentioned suburbs: it has a lot going for it. Good schools, shopping, dining, nightlife. Cute downtown and reasonable Metra access to the city (about 35 minutes on an express train from downtown). It is also quite large and that can be a drawback.
2. I’ve been to a number of school related functions and everyone has been very nice, welcoming, etc. I’m a typical white male so I can’t comment on the experience for someone of a different ethnicity, but I am divorced so I even though I feel self-conscious in a school where I mostly see traditional families, people have all been very kind.
3. Similar to 2. My kids had playdates, and party invitations almost immediately and the transition has gone much more smoothly than I’d expected it to. One of my children is quite social, while the other is more introverted but neither had issues.
4. Most subdivisions in Naperville do not have country clubs. Some have pool clubs but Chicago is so cold most of the year that pool clubs are just that: a membership to let you swim there on nice days rather than the center of people’s social lives.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:34 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,095,405 times
1. What's your experience like?

I think most people will love or hate Naperville. Some may say it's too cookie cutter, not enough culture, stuck up,etc. Others love it. It's a safe place to live, good schools, people are friendly, there's plenty of groups to join, etc.

2. Have neighbors and parents from your kids school been welcoming?

Honestly I don't really talk to my neighbors much and I don't really see people outside that much but I will say younger families with kids do tend to get together more than others so I don't see this being an issue.

3. Has it been easy for the kids to make friends?

Yeah Naperville has tons of activities and lots of transplants so it's not as if every kid in school has known each other since preschool like som other places.

4. Did you have to join any sort of social or country club?

Country clubs like white eagle are expensive. There's plenty of moms groups to join, sports or activities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs