Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 10:48 AM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebabiesandogs37 View Post
Currently renting in south Naperville and looking to buy soon (moved from Atlanta and didn't want to buy right away). We know we don't want to stay in south Naperville. Looking for a community that has bus service for elementary, junior high and high school as my 3 kids have wide age gaps & I can't get to 3 different schools at the same time to drop off myself. Husband needs quick access to Metra and preferable EXPRESS trains from Ogilvie or Union (do not want to put him through stopping every 3 minutes for an hour on the train, how do families survive that?) We like Highland Park, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Wilmette, Barrington, even in town Naperville (Naperville proper seems to have a ton of Express trains)...what are the pros and cons to these communities? We like lots of trees, parks, trails, dog-friendly, cute downtown area, charming, restaurants, close to shopping, etc. Any advice appreciated!
Highland Park may be a little far for you depending upon what your family can tolerate. There are several trains that take about 45 minutes though. What people don't always take into account is the commute to and from the train station that adds on to the overall time. Where we are in HP, we have a very short walk (can run to train platform in a couple minutes; walk in less than five). On the other end, about a five minute walk to office. Other than a super quick commute, HP meets your criteria of lots of trees, parks, trails, cute downtown, etc. Bus service for your kids will be dependent upon where you live. One of your children will probably get bus service, depending on where your live, of course. There is no bus service for elementary (special ed excluded, of course).
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 10,723 times
If you don't mind a less walk-able community there is east Glenview. I live here and it is a New Trier district with busing in elementary and middle school. I ride my bike to the Wilmette metra stop (25 minutes)/ or drive (around 10 minutes) there are express trains that take 20-30 minutes as mentioned above.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:21 AM

21 posts, read 27,717 times
Thank you all very much for your feedback!

Old 01-16-2016, 05:24 PM

82 posts, read 91,455 times
Highland park & Barrington are both in lake county and the longest travel times by train to the city. Lake county has a higher property tax rate than cook county too. I lived in Barrington for years and no one from the city would ever visit - it's just too far out. We currently live in Wilmette and love the town. great schools all testing in the high 80 - 90th percentiles. The park district has after school recreation and they bus kids from school to the rec center. Wilmette has a cute downtown and lots of parks and you can easily walk to Evanston from east Wilmette where there are a ton of great restaurants and a giant movie theater.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:41 PM

79 posts, read 129,301 times
I'd pick glen ellyn

Old 01-19-2016, 10:10 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
. Barrington is getting pretty far out there with not as much shopping.
There is plenty of shopping in and around downtown Barrington... In town boutique clothing/gift shops, grocery stores (Jewel and Heinen), plenty of in-town shopping along Northwest (Rt. 14) highway, 10 minutes to Deer Park "lifestyle" mall, 10 minutes to South Barrington Arboretum "lifestyle" mall, 15 min. to Long Grove village boutique shops, 15 minutes to all the Rt. 12 strip malls in Lake Zurich and Palatine, 15-20 minutes to mega mall Woodfield in Schaumburg and all its surrounding shopping... I can probably find just about anything I would ever need within 15 minutes of my house.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 01-19-2016 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-19-2016, 10:14 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,379,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccpfinn View Post
Highland park & Barrington are both in lake county and the longest travel times by train to the city. Lake county has a higher property tax rate than cook county too. I lived in Barrington for years and no one from the city would ever visit - it's just too far out. We currently live in Wilmette and love the town. great schools all testing in the high 80 - 90th percentiles. The park district has after school recreation and they bus kids from school to the rec center. Wilmette has a cute downtown and lots of parks and you can easily walk to Evanston from east Wilmette where there are a ton of great restaurants and a giant movie theater.
Not sure when you lived in Barrington, but many of my friends commute to/from the city daily with Metra. Obviously a lot longer than Wilmette, but doable. There are plenty of people who live here and work in the city - especially in the financial fields it seems.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:10 PM

82 posts, read 91,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
Not sure when you lived in Barrington, but many of my friends commute to/from the city daily with Metra. Obviously a lot longer than Wilmette, but doable. There are plenty of people who live here and work in the city - especially in the financial fields it seems.
Oh yes, many people comment from Barrington to the city. I did so myself. I meant that the friends I had that lived and worked in the city would never travel to Barrington. It was just too far for them.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:32 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
Have you considered Downers Grove? Best commuter suburb in DuPage County. Three Metra train stations in DG. Very nice Main Street/downtown. Even a classic movie theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs