Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 10:49 AM

8 posts, read 9,608 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm finding conflicting information regarding this. Our license plate registration expired in July and we completely forgot to renew it. We live in Chicago, and yesterday we were doing some shopping in Burbank, IL. We were parked in a private lot (shopping center) and a Burbank cop gave us a ticket for it. Are they allowed to ticket us in a private lot?

FWIW, it seemed the guy didn't have much to do. Afterwards, we seen him roaming around the lot.

Anyway... thanks for reading!

p.s. Needless to say, we renewed our registration yesterday right after getting the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 11:16 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Burbank is a City with a Mayor. I do not think any city cop can go onto private property without an invitation from the property owner. Even if the cop was hired privately by the property owner, I don't think he has the authority to issue a citation.

The only exception I can think of is maybe if you parked in a handicap spot and don't have a placard or plates he could issue a ticket. But you are talking about Chicago. its rules are different than where I live. It is not allowed here.

Call the Mayor and ask if what his cop did is legal, and why?

Old 08-13-2015, 11:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Utterly and complete wrong!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Burbank is a City with a Mayor. I do not think any city cop can go onto private property without an invitation from the property owner. Even if the cop was hired privately by the property owner, I don't think he has the authority to issue a citation.

The only exception I can think of is maybe if you parked in a handicap spot and don't have a placard or plates he could issue a ticket. But you are talking about Chicago. its rules are different than where I live. It is not allowed here.

Call the Mayor and ask if what his cop did is legal, and why?
The above is frankly about the most bizarre "advice" I have ever seen on this board. It does not matter if an incorporated place has a "Mayor" and that "Mayor" cannot do a single thing to override tThe Illinois Vehicle Code.

The relevant Offense Code is quite explicit that ANY law enforcement authority is fully authorized to issue appropriate citations to ANY vehicle in working order (ei not being dismantled, stored or clearly inoperable) ANY TIME it is in plain view -- that means not just "parking lots" but even your own driveway -- this is clearly spelled out in 625 ILCS 5/3-834(b)) https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/p.../sos_dop10.pdf

Old 08-17-2015, 06:30 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,951 times
Yeah Linicx was pretty off base with this. Ha. Also, private parking lots can have an agreement with a municipality, usually called a Traffic and Parking Agreement. This allows, by agreement, for police to enforce most State or Local laws on private property as it relates to moving or parking violations.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Oh yes, of course they can do this. Where I live, cops have gone into enclosed, private apartment building lots and even into people's driveways at their homes to ticket them for this. A "private" shopping center lot is easy pickings.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:09 PM

8 posts, read 9,608 times
Thank you all for your replies. We decided to pay the ticket right away. We asked around and many of the replies we received suggested that the cop was allowed to do so. Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: